Why did Nintendo Release the Wii MINI ? A look back | MVG

Why did Nintendo Release the Wii MINI ? A look back | MVG

► Consider supporting me – https://www.patreon.com/ModernVintageGamer

In 2012, Nintendo Released the Wii Mini. A cut down budget version of the Wii, with no online support, for $99, in Canada. We take a look back at the Wii Mini and try to make sense of why Nintendo released the Wii Mini just before the holiday season of the same year, with the newly released Wii U and both the original Wii being available to consumers.

► Win an Original XBOX Contest – https://gleam.io/137gD/modern-vintage-gamer-original-xbox-100000-subscriber-contest-

Links:

►Wii Mini Annoucement -https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/ONIEEqvK1pbPyTbW2lWO6QnPUiqqvuuI

Music

► Pattern Skank : H0ffman – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FktF1CE4MOg

Social Media Links :

► Check me out on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/ModernVintageGamer
► Soundcloud : https://www.soundcloud.com/lantusONE
► Follow me on Twitter : https://twitter.com/ModernVintageG

1. Serhat Torbali on November 5, 2018 at 6:59 pm

The Wii wasn’t selling well after 2010, and Nintendo decided to release a cheaper version which couldn’t be hacked. It didn’t help the Wii to sell better though.
    But Nintendo already release the NES 2 and the SNES 2 so that wasn’t a surprise after all

2. ya boiii Ronald McDonald on November 5, 2018 at 7:00 pm

i cant believe it was in 2012. Feels like yesterday, crazy lol

3. SleazyTV on November 5, 2018 at 7:01 pm

The fact that it has only been released in Canada is not 100% right. It had been released in Germany too!

4. GreenAppelPie on November 5, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Yeah imagine gaming without being online. Please do an episode on the Ouya.

5. Arthur Collector on November 5, 2018 at 7:01 pm

nintendo always had these crappy ideas of making new cheaper console versions. The Top loader nes lacks av input, snes mini lacks svideo and RGB (and av input in some countries), earlier n64 lacks svideo, earlier game cube lacks digital input and wii mini lacks component. This is just stupid

6. ray taylor on November 5, 2018 at 7:02 pm

the wii the bigest dust collector of all time. ninshit is ninshit.

7. Haven on November 5, 2018 at 7:03 pm

You should do a video on why N64 emulation is so hard to emulate and the saturn to.

8. Mr. Baskins on November 5, 2018 at 7:03 pm

Would be cool if there was a projector on the back

9. Moss on November 5, 2018 at 7:05 pm

8:41 That thermal paste holy moly, I’m surprised that thing lasts 5 minutes.

10. Travis V on November 5, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Wow I never even heard of it even when wii was out. Why did they even bother? , the wii was low profile. This looks really dumbed down and missing wii features.

11. Paul Ward on November 5, 2018 at 7:09 pm

The best use of a CRT is the Virtual Console which the Wii Mini doesn’t have.

12. fan1701 on November 5, 2018 at 7:09 pm

The only thing I like about this is that it looks nice. Without gc support and lack of I/O connectivity I wouldn’t buy one. The top loading drive is appealing to me though as it is probably less prone to failure.

13. Dr. Mario on November 5, 2018 at 7:11 pm

I came across a few nintendo wii mini’s in my day to day job and they were very simple to use and reminded me of the Nintendo 64 console. Just pop a game and play.

14. Geng Pan on November 5, 2018 at 7:11 pm

only in Canada?

15. Onkel Gargi on November 5, 2018 at 7:12 pm

I like the WII-Mini too, only bummer is the Composite-only Video 🙁

16. Brandon Booth on November 5, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Such an ugly console.

17. Ninten 33 on November 5, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Hacking possibility ?

18. Vulcanitu on November 5, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Nintendo did that to compete with Ouya? I doubt they would be somehow threatened by niche kickstarter android box

19. dfshjb44 on November 5, 2018 at 7:20 pm

I’d wager that the $99 price point was chosen because that was the discounted price of the Gamecube. $99 for a whole system sounds very appealing.

20. Watersite play on November 5, 2018 at 7:23 pm

I was actually thinking about the Wii mini today before this video came out haha

21. Paul Moorehead on November 5, 2018 at 7:23 pm

This is actually a good system now because Wii online services are offline now.

22. Jack Wainscott on November 5, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Hey MVG we need a version of mame that works good on the wii. Hook everyone up.

23. DokiKiku on November 5, 2018 at 7:27 pm

Does Wii mini have Internet category in settings?
    And what will happen if you will Connect Ethernet. Adapter?

24. zadintuvas1 on November 5, 2018 at 7:29 pm

I think by the time wii mini was released for $99, you could get "full" wii for the same price.

25. Alanna Lopez on November 5, 2018 at 7:29 pm

you must be utterly retarded to believe the Wii U was just an addon to the Wii

26. TaHa CHeurfaoui on November 5, 2018 at 7:30 pm

get us a NEC console pls

27. Commodorefan64 on November 5, 2018 at 7:31 pm

When I can get a OG Wii for $5 with all the basic cables from my local GoodWill, then the Wii Mini for is just an expensive collectors piece.

28. mbiraq on November 5, 2018 at 7:31 pm

I only got my wii just because it can hacked and play burned discs sooooo..fuk nintendo.

29. Mike Dorsey on November 5, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Thumbs up for showing your Commodore CRT. I miss my Amiga.

30. biglevian on November 5, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Pretty sure they killed internet so it wouldn’t be too similar to the normal Wii. Especially the family edition without gc support. They needed to explain the extrem price drop.

31. Raptec Clawtooth Badillo on November 5, 2018 at 7:34 pm

What are your thoughts about Microsoft idea of no making another console, but just have their own Microsoft servers which streaming games for a mensual/annual fee… how heck can someone mod or pirate that?

32. ben31uk on November 5, 2018 at 7:36 pm

New subscriber 👌

33. Nathan Wright on November 5, 2018 at 7:39 pm

It’s such a weird console but I kinda like it. Just how compact it is with the hinged disc drive? Idk…

34. ben31uk on November 5, 2018 at 7:40 pm

I liked the wii mini console design. With the open top

35. Lukeno52 on November 5, 2018 at 7:42 pm

The Wii Mini occupies the same kind of market place as the DSi; totally pointless.

36. RainMainDein on November 5, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Was perfect for my little children, i got one inclusive a wheel, mario kart, the red controller, red nunchuk and bought another controller ect, perfect gaming experience and the funny thing, it is still working….shabbychic retro design…collectible.

37. J.S. Ward on November 5, 2018 at 7:44 pm

I’m still baffled that this thing only supports composite, ugh.

38. Alfonso Gonzalez on November 5, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Throughout the entire video, I could hear the CRT’s screech, it was mildy annoying at first then became irritating by the end.

39. Jason Roebuck on November 5, 2018 at 7:45 pm

another great review MVG . I did love my old Xbox and kick myself for giving it away., Fingers crossed for the win, My 10 year old loves your reviews as well

40. Jimmy Call on November 5, 2018 at 7:45 pm

People felt cheated with the Wiimotes and how Nintendo later brought out the Wiimotes Plus. There was also too many bad games.

41. HE1NZ on November 5, 2018 at 7:45 pm

In 2018 it’s usually cheaper to find a Wii Mini than to buy a separate Wiimore + and Nunchuck. That’s the only good thing about it.

42. Drgabi18 on November 5, 2018 at 7:48 pm

The video has a constant noise like old CRT TVs make, a bit annoying

43. ben31uk on November 5, 2018 at 7:50 pm

I loved my wii.

44. Global warming is hot on November 5, 2018 at 7:52 pm

It’s been so hard to have any faith in Nintendo after they completely messed up with the Wii U and failed everyone who bought one.
    On topic, the Wii Mini was always a cool design to me (toploaders ftw) but I never had a reason to get one.

45. OchiyaAlien on November 5, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Woah I had no idea this console even existed! The design of it looks really cool, and the top loader is a nice touch. It’s a shame it cant play Gamecube games though

46. MrMario2011 on November 5, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Awesome look at this, without a doubt the most in-depth video I’ve seen on the Wii Mini! Killing any sort of softmods makes sense to me with this revision, but going as far as to remove component functionality?! Damn. I doubt I’ll pick one up, not only because of the lack of features but because I think I’ve only ever seen 1 in the wild.

47. Shadowjc32 on November 5, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Nintendo Ecosystem? Don’t you mean…Nintendo Wiicosystem?

48. anindra pratama on November 5, 2018 at 7:56 pm

I literally never heard of the Wii mini till now

49. Vsauce Puppet on November 5, 2018 at 7:56 pm

I remember managing to get my hands on one of these. I wanted to get a new Wii since mine was getting slightly worn. I thought it’d have some stuff taken out, but I didn’t expect so much to be gone. It’s actually kind of insulting to play twilight princess on a wide-screen tv with this. Playing the original on my Wii on a widescreen worked great, and wasn’t super bad with a few adjustments. With this though, I found it to be a waste. Until, I got it onto an old square TV rather than a flat screen, and while twilight princess wasn’t great, games like resident evil 4 worked pretty well! It’s a hit and miss for me. But in a situation like this, the misses outweighs the hits. I’d rather pick up an original Wii. Thanks for doing a video on this forgotten console mini

50. Stinger2578 on November 5, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Random, but the intro music reminded me of the theme from "Unsolved Mysteries" but maybe that was intentional, based on the title of the video.