Here’s Why The Nintendo Wii Is More Complicated Than It Looks

Here’s Why The Nintendo Wii Is More Complicated Than It Looks

The Nintendo Wii came out back in 2006 and managed to sprint to selling over 100 million units making it the best selling system of the generation. While the Wii isn’t a technically impressive system with its specs that fit into the previous generation better, inside the system is quite complicated to take a apart compared to the other systems.

Smash Bros Ultimate Giveaway: https://gleam.io/nUzQt/super-smash-bros-ultimate

Twitter: @SpawnWaveMedia

Spawn Wave Merch: https://www.designbyhumans.com/shop/SpawnWaveMedia

Consider Supporting Us On Patreon:

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SpawnWave

Follow Us On Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/spawnwavemedia

Listen To Our Weekly Podcast: https://soundcloud.com/spawn-wave

Music: www.bensound.com

Like Comment and Subscribe!

Thanks for watching!

#Nintendo #NintendoWii #TechWave

1. Mark Ferrer on November 19, 2018 at 10:45 pm

The level of complexity- could that have been the reason for them being unable to keep up with demand?

2. MrDoge on November 19, 2018 at 10:45 pm

There are white Wii’s without GameCube support. Still check the top if you’re buying one even if it’s white

3. Edom on November 19, 2018 at 10:46 pm

So we’re reviewing toys now?

4. Kevin S ツTM on November 19, 2018 at 10:46 pm

NICE!!! 😉 cheers bro

5. P-Switch on November 19, 2018 at 10:48 pm

I guess you didn’t reassemble it and dropped everything to the trash can after the video 😀

6. BocuD on November 19, 2018 at 10:48 pm

You actually got quite a late revision here. Both the cpu and gpu are 65nm on this model.

7. g00gly0eyes on November 19, 2018 at 10:51 pm

I am going to have to take apart my Wii to try and repair it, so this was very well timed!  Thanks.

8. SilentNova98 on November 19, 2018 at 10:53 pm

I worked on a couple consoles in my life including xbox 360s and ps4s and gameboys but never the wii. Boy am i glad i didn’t though. What a mess!

9. Thank You on November 19, 2018 at 10:53 pm

So how do you remember and keep track of all those screws? Whenever I work on my pc I have screws left over.

10. Xnerdz on November 19, 2018 at 10:56 pm

I loled when he said people where putting ds cartridges in the CD drive I don’t know why this is so funny XD

11. DAVE Davidson on November 19, 2018 at 10:57 pm

super Mario shirt !!!

12. YadamanTV on November 19, 2018 at 10:57 pm

Do you think you could make a chimera console with a bunch of different part

13. Siggi Bartman on November 19, 2018 at 10:58 pm

The dsLite uses the wireles chip as its bios

14. Gun on November 19, 2018 at 10:58 pm

That was very educational. I had no idea it is so hard to disassemble Wii. After Wii U came out I wanted to take the first Wii apart just for fun but for some reason I never did that and now I’m glad. My Wii is from 2009 and still works. Also, never had any issue with it. I guess I’m lucky?
    I’d love to see Tech Wave of NDS Lite. I remember when I had to replace all rubber pads in my NDS and while doing it I accidentally broke the power button ;(. It’s really small piece with its four tiny legs you have to solder to motherboard. Believe me It was a nightmare to me back then because I didn’t have a porper soldering iron and cause of lack of experience with electronics.

15. K!ngS!ze on November 19, 2018 at 10:59 pm

love nintendo but hate all the accessories… and sadly the Nintendo switch has so many of them… and everything runs around 50$-70$…. it’s annoying as fuck…

16. Fabricio Fanfa on November 19, 2018 at 11:01 pm

I love the Wii. Still so much easier than a DS Lite.

17. Theo Akin on November 19, 2018 at 11:02 pm

Finally. The great old scifi-background-music is back when dissambling in fast forward. Gives me chills.

18. iVirtualPlays on November 19, 2018 at 11:02 pm

The Wii is one of the best Nintendo systems of all time. I want GCDual and a modchip in mine.

19. frombauer on November 19, 2018 at 11:04 pm

The Wii24 feature which you mentioned made the console very hot actually caused some GPUs to fail, like mine, causing artefacts on screen. A not so cheap repair, and I lost my Mario Kart Wii save as a result (you could not backup online games to SD card)

20. Clive Nelson III on November 19, 2018 at 11:09 pm

I love these Tech Waves… well done on this one.

21. Scott Madden on November 19, 2018 at 11:10 pm

Moral of the story: install Bootmii and Priiloader so you don’t brick your Wii and can sell it for more

22. Beanie Treasure on November 19, 2018 at 11:10 pm

I had that system once and it worked fine untill a disc got jammed in it and played zelda and super mario 64 instead and yes those games where downloaded

23. Michirin9801 on November 19, 2018 at 11:13 pm

To be fair, Wii Play came with a Wiimote, and buying it was more often than not one of the cheaper ways to get a spare Wiimote, needless to say, there’s a really good reason why that game sold so much…

24. Ioannis Stf on November 19, 2018 at 11:14 pm

While The Wii won in Sales the PS3 was the clear winner as a Console you had all the Multiplats (Most of the time not the Best Version compared to the 360 but you could still play them) and on top the Exclusives Sony KILLED the Competition from 2009 and up Games like The Last of Us Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3 make every Game on the 360 look like PS2 Games.

25. Deontae Harris on November 19, 2018 at 11:14 pm

I love my wii i actually bought it for my son but it soon became mine and I’ve never heard of wiiparty. You gotta do a wiiu and gamepad next because my wiiU gamepad’s left side is slowly dying and i wanna see if its hard to fix as no one in the greater detroit area seems to know how to fix them.. Great video bro

26. Raylight on November 19, 2018 at 11:15 pm

That moment when a YouTuber is so out of ideas that he starts using stupid topic just to make more content (and in top of that, full of ads, worst, Facebook ads).

27. Chris Durnin on November 19, 2018 at 11:16 pm

My Wii stopped reading discs a few months ago, so I tried to take it apart and fix it…it’s still apart and still doesn’t read discs

28. Rainbow Dash on November 19, 2018 at 11:17 pm

I thought the Wii was literally just to GameCube smash together? Don’t they have the same chipset almost the same amount of ram almost the same amount of specs and almost everything and during the prototyping phase didn’t they literally stick two or four GameCubes together to make the Wii

29. seidopaul on November 19, 2018 at 11:18 pm

Yes! That TechWave music!

30. richfiles on November 19, 2018 at 11:18 pm

18:35 If they ever have another complimentary ARM core on a console… They could codename it the "Bowsette"…

31. Anime_Gamer_Weeb on November 19, 2018 at 11:21 pm

That ATI logo ages this system more then the tech inside.

32. Fulken on November 19, 2018 at 11:21 pm

Me trying to open electronics: Ok, this screw was here, let me just organize them how they were in the system!
    -Screw loss: 4-5
    Spawn: *throws screws everywhere*
    -Screw loss: 0

33. aaron carmack on November 19, 2018 at 11:24 pm

Back in the day I installed a custom case on my wii. Had leds and was clear. Anyway.. yea.. when I was done I had like 4 different screws left that I didn’t know where they went. Lol.

But hey.. still worked.

34. Greg Smith on November 19, 2018 at 11:24 pm

Always wondered what was inside the Wii. Also can anybody explain how the slot loading drive handled the smaller Gamecube discs compared to the larger Wii discs?

35. Proto Propski on November 19, 2018 at 11:24 pm

Lol have you seen a VERY early dev Wii, it was literally a modified GameCube with an IR Bar, and a beta blocky Wii Remote with Gameboy SP buttons

36. workplaydie wpd on November 19, 2018 at 11:25 pm

That was a wii bit interesting thanks 😍

37. Genezis on November 19, 2018 at 11:28 pm

Wii technician?

38. Andrew McLain on November 19, 2018 at 11:29 pm

Take apart a Sega Saturn

39. Jonathan Kulesa on November 19, 2018 at 11:30 pm

Maybe tear down some older stuff, like an Atari 2600 or something… 🙂

40. Justin Albano on November 19, 2018 at 11:31 pm

I’m convinced that half the weight of the Wii was in screws…lol.

41. Blank Infinity Studios on November 19, 2018 at 11:32 pm

i’ve just learn that i can play gamecube games with my wii hahahah

42. Mike Eps on November 19, 2018 at 11:33 pm

THIS IS.

43. Michael554466 on November 19, 2018 at 11:34 pm

Have you seen the cut down boards for portable projects?
    They are insanely awsome, so compact!

44. Michael554466 on November 19, 2018 at 11:35 pm

Gotta play me some Mario kart wii CTGP-R. I want a compact way to emulate a mario kart wii disk via a iso file. I own the game, but a portable wii that plays ctgp-r would be so cool!

45. richfiles on November 19, 2018 at 11:36 pm

16:46 Those aren’t fuses. Those are capacitors. CPUs and GPUs performa massive amount of signal switching, and to keep stable power supplies, a lot of capacitance is required near the switching to basically provide a burst of extra energy when switching and prevent brown-out conditions on the power supply rails. In the old days, coupling capacitors were just installed on the PC board, next to each chip. This is still true, but some larger chips will have dozens and even approaching a hundred or more coupling capacitors on the underside of the PC board, or even mounted on the interposer of the chip (the board that the silicon die is bonded and connected to, that in turn is soldered to the PC board. This allows coupling capacitors to be mounted even closer to the chip than just mounting them on the PC board allows.

46. Adrian Oneil on November 19, 2018 at 11:37 pm

Love seeing the inside of consoles, can’t wait until you do a PS3

47. nowonmetube on November 19, 2018 at 11:38 pm

I have my Wii from 2006 and it still works fine. In fact it’s on since 5 days or (still gotta defeat Dracula in Castlevania ReBirth!)

48. Zeonos Industries on November 19, 2018 at 11:41 pm

The Wii was literally just a repackaged GameCube.

49. Dionte' McBride on November 19, 2018 at 11:42 pm