Home Electronics Lab

Home Electronics Lab

Building a home hobby electronics lab. The components and accessories a serious home electronics person might need and one spec’d using a better grade of entry levels components. You can start with less than this but if you’re serious about electronics you’re probably going to need more-or-less what I have but you can start with less and build as you go.

In addition to the major components I discuss the ancillary items needed — things like power and signal cables to connect things, work tables and lighting, storage for equipment accessories and parts and the various hand tools and other tools one will need.

I also discuss some issues relating to safety and what you might do to get a better grounding in safety.

So, I hope that what I’ve done can be of some use to you in setting up or rearranging your electrons lab. Again, this is more of an entry level lab setup but some folks are light years beyond this. Check out this link to “Mr Carlson’s Lab” for a lab that’s a couple orders of magnitude beyond mine.

And here’s a list of items in my lab along with a source for picking them up.

Rigol DS1054Z Digital Oscilloscopes – Bandwidth: 50 Mhz, Channels: 4

Rigol DG1062Z Function/Arbitrary Waveform Generator 60 MHz, 2 Ch

Rigol DM3058E Benchtop Multimeters – Type: Digital, Style: Bench

Rigol DP832 Triple Output 195 Watt Power Supply

Hakko Soldering Station, FX-951-66

Kohree 110V LED Digital 858D SMD Hot Air Rework Station Solder Blower Heat Gun

BEST Digital USB Microscope

Akro-Mils 10164 64 Drawer Plastic Parts Storage Hardware and Craft Cabinet, 20-Inch by 16-Inch by 6-1/2-Inch, Black

Akro-Mils 10144 D 20-Inch by 16-Inch by 6-1/2-Inch Hardware and Craft Cabinet, Black

Sistema Klip It Collection Rectangle Food Storage Container, 67.6 Ounce/ 8.4 Cup

Sistema Klip It Collection Rectangle Food Storage Containers, 33.8 Ounce/ 4.2 Cup Each, Set of 2

Sistema Klip It Collection Rectangle Food Storage Containers, 13.5 Ounce/1.6 Cup, Set of 3

Probe Master 8043S DMM Test Leads

Test Lead Banana Plug Male Stackable to Banana Plug [39″ / 1 Set]

AST Labs Test Lead Banana Plug Stackable to Alligator Clip Heavy Duty 39″

1. XPFTP on August 27, 2019 at 1:47 pm

hahaha he said 2nd comming of tesla.. i love it.. wireless lighting bolt.. lol got to admit that kid knows his stuff wish i could rememeber 1/1000 of what he has forgtton lol

2. João Monteiro on August 27, 2019 at 1:49 pm

Great, you helped me. Thanks

3. Daniel Newhouse on August 27, 2019 at 1:49 pm

I think there’s a song about it called "Heaven and Hell."

4. Jabby Robbie on August 27, 2019 at 1:49 pm

I find a doormat works well

5. Mike Canton on August 27, 2019 at 1:49 pm

nice! have own bedroom electronics repair shop ham,cb lenier amps in c-falls,mt

6. Man of Culture on August 27, 2019 at 1:50 pm

I start as a tech with $10 analog multimeter, $15 KS-30 Goot brand iron and also with cheap solder sucker and 60/40 soldering lead. This year I’m planning to buy $139 Picoscope USB oscilloscopes 10Mhz and $126 EEVblog Brymen BM235 Multimeter, next is the cabinet and containers… 😀 😀 😀

7. Mark Koh on August 27, 2019 at 1:51 pm

Very well org. Things are clearly labelled!! Nice Job!!

8. Pavle Pavlovic on August 27, 2019 at 1:54 pm

Rigol should provide free stuff for advertisement here

9. Alex Abadi on August 27, 2019 at 1:56 pm

I have 3 scopes, 4 function generators, 2 frequency counters, 4 multimeters, 7 power supplies.
    Do I also need a soldering iron ?
    :o)

10. Thomas Gx on August 27, 2019 at 1:59 pm

You did a very good job of this, i enjoyed your outline, very much,

11. Fried Mule on August 27, 2019 at 1:59 pm

May I ask you about the electronic load, where do they rank in your list of items to the lab, and why? 🙂

12. PapaGeorg10 on August 27, 2019 at 2:00 pm

You have one of the most organized electronics workstations I have seen. Very nice. Great video. I wish I had a neighbor with an electronics work station

13. GMN Nzola on August 27, 2019 at 2:00 pm

you must also have the head of a good electronics and patient

14. Cosimo Kramarawicz on August 27, 2019 at 2:02 pm

No one gets anything done on a bench that neat.

15. Bill Degener on August 27, 2019 at 2:05 pm

Roflmao on Mr Carlson comment.

16. googlesucks on August 27, 2019 at 2:05 pm

looks a lot like my lab – http://www.ajawamnet.com/ love the seep going on the Rigol – get a hi temp antistatic mat. Oh yea – watch out for SMPS hot chassis…

17. Rinku Biswas on August 27, 2019 at 2:06 pm

how to tun wacom ctl 672 to iball a414 take note ?
    if you see video of both model you will get the difference. At any wacom ctl model ; you will see when some one write at wacom’s touch pad, line appears at computer screen . But to write in a iball a414; we need a iball digital pen filling real ink and any a4 size paper. here paper size does not matter whether i will fit in wacom pad or not ! here technology conversion matters ! my email address deb100deba@gmail.com , if you wish to peraonally email me . thanks in advance .

18. ETHIOPIA ANDENET on August 27, 2019 at 2:06 pm

if you see my lab it looks like bombarded ,tv pc ,mobile you name it , my friend enjoy you lab .

19. Tom Hughes on August 27, 2019 at 2:09 pm

I love this guy!!!

He is very knowledgeable, and very precise in his explanations. He also covers safety regarding OSHA requirements, so it’s very apparent he is extremely proficient in this subject.

20. FireguyNtx on August 27, 2019 at 2:09 pm

….THE MAGNET IN THE HOT AIR CRADLE shuts off the unit, did not know why the magnet was there, thought it was too weak to stick it to metal…haha…….thanks

21. electronics help care on August 27, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Good job.

22. robert Fleming on August 27, 2019 at 2:11 pm

just wondering how much $ do u have invested into you’re lab. actually how much would I have to invest in a basic lab.?

23. Chris Telting on August 27, 2019 at 2:12 pm

I think this would have been better as a series of videos.

24. Joe Schmitz on August 27, 2019 at 2:12 pm

Some places require you to not only have a osha 10, but an FCC license which I do have in complete communication field as well as my electrical license.

25. Tony Fleming on August 27, 2019 at 2:12 pm

Thank you for your videos! Before you purchased Rigol DP832 did you gave the 832A a chance – if you did, why did you buy this and not the A model? (I know it is much more money!)

26. Daniel Newhouse on August 27, 2019 at 2:12 pm

The real reason for those home electronics setups they used to sell is to receive transmission. Transmissions that may tell you where to meet someone.

27. Kenneth Saldivar on August 27, 2019 at 2:14 pm

hahahaha. basic fluxing around. nice

28. Jos Haas on August 27, 2019 at 2:14 pm

very nice neat lab, but i think that for me the pc is the more important stuf, all equipment has logging usb for the pc, plus you need to have a screen for the sematic of what you are building, also for drawing sematic and logging for your equipment, you build your lab for your own needs, but yours is very neat i like that

29. El houcine EDDALI on August 27, 2019 at 2:16 pm

where is the electronic load ?

30. Kenneth Horne on August 27, 2019 at 2:18 pm

I test klystrons tubes

31. Ronald Abalos on August 27, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Fine video

32. Evangelos Lambrinoudis on August 27, 2019 at 2:20 pm

Thank you so much this is a wonderful video, insightful and good speaking voice.

33. Unknown Zone on August 27, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Doesn’t look very used, any of it. Must be nice to sit next to and look at.

34. Dave Roche on August 27, 2019 at 2:23 pm

First-class overview – well done. And thank you for bringing the safety element up. My (golden) rule: ABC – Always Be Careful. Full marks!

35. XPFTP on August 27, 2019 at 2:26 pm

his cam must be like a train. deadman switch on his keyboard.. hahahha

36. HULL GUITARS USA on August 27, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Well here I am two years later, watching this video for the millionth time, and still gaining new information! Started messing with electronics two years ago for the first time. This video was so helpful, and I have watched it so many times… Many times just playing in the background of my lab while I work….. so I can try and soak in the information and foreign lingo.

Thanks for the great content!

PS…. your voice sounds exactly like another YouTube electronics guy… And I’m convinced y’all are secretly the same person with alter egos LOL

I’m speaking of xraytonyb

37. Krantz Lab on August 27, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Where did you get that flux container with the needle on it?

Thanks!

38. Mark C on August 27, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Thanks. Congratulations on your lab. Wondering if you had any thoughts on solder fumes? I realize you have limited options in your area.

39. Thanasis Athanasi on August 27, 2019 at 2:31 pm

hi brother. you sound lovely !!! come over for a beer!!!

40. sofian Moussaillon on August 27, 2019 at 2:34 pm

Very nice Lab, very nice Guy too. Some equipments are oversized…. anyway. Let see how these will fill our winters nights.

41. Joe Schmitz on August 27, 2019 at 2:35 pm

The one thing I have you didn’t mention are a couple of TUBE TESTERS! I still have my tube operated oscilloscope along with a couple of other old test equipment I got back in the 70’s. Some of my Johnson ham equipment are tube operated. Started in electronics when I was 12 yrs old, now 56, love it.

42. El Guapo on August 27, 2019 at 2:36 pm

Brian pretty good video

43. siddacious on August 27, 2019 at 2:37 pm

I appreciate the attention to detail, especially with regards to your organization setup. Kudos!

44. eco ren on August 27, 2019 at 2:39 pm

Rigol,from China!

45. Luis Alberto on August 27, 2019 at 2:40 pm

You are forgetting to mention the cup of coffee that is over the table.

46. Bob-72 on August 27, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Thanks Brian. I build my "Atelier", and your video give me some ideas.

47. Fried Mule on August 27, 2019 at 2:43 pm

LOL yes!! You can easily spend more on a camera body and two lenses then all your gear combined, but okay you can also spend more on an oscilloscope than on a complete filled camera bag:-)

48. Gary McKinnon on August 27, 2019 at 2:44 pm

I’m envious of your setup there, i need to get stuff off the bench and on to shelves, thanks for sharing.

49. Stovepipe on August 27, 2019 at 2:45 pm

Excellent video, thank you so much for sharing! I have a question that I did not see answered in the comments although I may have missed it. What wire rack did you buy? Do you have a link that could point me in the right direction? I’ve found a few but would like to replicate your setup. Thanks!

50. James Lucas on August 27, 2019 at 2:45 pm

You have a nice lab and arrangement. Somewhere I missed the variac and capacitance tester.
    The Samsung….. you will find a used Realistic from now out of business Radio Shack. Would be more reliable. The warranty for any Samsung product is not worth the keystrokes used to create it. Samsung is notoriously uninterested in customer service. Too bad.
    Yet I love your compact arrangement. I suspect my version would be far far less organized. Plus I love vintage workhorse equipment which has a much larger footprint.
    Thanks again.