The Future of Single Board Computers

The Future of Single Board Computers

Future SBC processors, RAM, storage and connectivity all discussed in a video featuring 19 single board computers! What will SBCs look like beyond the Raspberry Pi, LattePanda, Odroid UX4, UDOOx86, Rock64 and HiKey 960 . . .?

My reviews of some of the SBCs featured in this video include:

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+:

Odroid XU4:

UDOOx86 Advanced Plus:

LeMaker HiKey 960:

LeMaker Guitar:

Asus Tinker Board S:

LattePanda:

Rock64:

Banana Pro:

You can find some of the above SBCs on Amazon as follows (affiliate links);

Raspberry Pi 3 B+: https://amzn.to/2xupP5j

LattePanda: https://amzn.to/2J5YhEL

Odroid XU4: https://amzn.to/2H5Z4DS

Rock64 (2GB): https://amzn.to/2LbabxF

You may also enjoy my recent book “Digital Genesis: The Future of Computing, Robots and AI”: http://amzn.to/2C2WrA6

More videos on computing and related topics can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/explainingcomputers

And I have another YouTube channel called ExplainingTheFuture at: http://www.youtube.com/explainingthefuture

1. Research & Development Enthusiast on September 1, 2019 at 2:30 pm

USB 4 would be game changer for SBCs.

2. hwang53 on September 1, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Please don’t call it single board computer. The Intel x86 System on a Board (the ones used in Desk top computers, some Notebooks) are THE Single Board Computer. The name has been reserved, used for x86 systems. Pi’s can be properly called RAM based Single Board Computer, to be exact.

3. Ashutosh Tiwari on September 1, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Hi, I just wanted to ask if I should buy a raspberry pi? I live in India and therefore, there are not any coder clubs around me. I also wanted to ask where I should buy it from because all of those I have seen cost much more than $35. Please help. Thanks for such an interesting and TV-quality episode.

4. Jeff Wolsieffer on September 1, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Pi Zero W & Pi Zero Audio.
    It’s a simple connection to those 40 Pin Male Connections.
    Sadly, it’s not even 192/24,
    it’s a 3.5 Stereo Out only.
    Happily, 2 RCA Audio In.
    E-Bay prices it at $22°° us.
    – JW
    PS – no blue tooth yet,
    2.4 b/g/n WiFi only.

5. Benjamin McLean on September 1, 2019 at 2:39 pm

i want to emulate the PS2 on a SBC.

6. Jayblue873 on September 1, 2019 at 2:39 pm

In 2030 there will be core i9’s on the SBC’s

7. Roland Lawrence on September 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm

2 things i want on the pi4… emmc 5.1 and an adc. otherwise its perfect. though an AI version of the pi4 would go down a storm with pokey graphics and cpu to deal with imaging a lot better.

8. Ron Watson on September 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm

I personally think that SBC must always be cheap (under $60) and secondly, fit in the palm of your hand. After that the sky is the limit.

9. vermiman on September 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Are we going to see the Raspberry Pi 4 on Pi Day 2019?

10. Zeke That Gamer Geek on September 1, 2019 at 2:43 pm

And here we are in 2019, with the Pi 4! Hooray, we can have 4GB of RAM!

11. Truth fears no scrutiny 123 on September 1, 2019 at 2:46 pm

In another two years, the raspberry will transform into a full regular motherboard.

12. PhantomPanic on September 1, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Rasby

13. mrWho? on September 1, 2019 at 2:47 pm

well yeah, our smartphones are nothing else that just tiny computers, or SBCs

14. Despiser Despised on September 1, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Why cant I have a Pi4 with an Arduino on it?

15. Bosstiat on September 1, 2019 at 2:50 pm

Odroid n2 is close. Just wish it had WiFi and Bluetooth module as an option. M.2 is also missing. Just received mine

16. Anthony Watkins on September 1, 2019 at 2:51 pm

I reckon the majority of pi users would be just as happy with more ram and a faster processor, its all I`d really want from the next one, oh there are things that I`d think were awesome if they were added, but just the ram and processor would do me

17. princeston on September 1, 2019 at 2:53 pm

I remember when VIA Pico ITX boards tried to attempt to do this. Too bad they couldn’t make it cheaper. They would of been way ahead of its time.

18. Separate Realities on September 1, 2019 at 2:53 pm

They can save space by eliminating the cat 5 connection. No lap tops have them anymore.

19. Vermilicious on September 1, 2019 at 2:54 pm

Always more, always faster. It’s meaningless then, to restrict yourself to such a small form factor (which isn’t that small anymore anyway, in some cases). In any case, in a couple of years, it’s already outdated.

20. Lennart Aasenden on September 1, 2019 at 2:55 pm

I honestly think the PI foundation has dropped the ball. Already with the PI model 2 people were asking about higher-spec boards. You could see the same question over and over again on their forums and around the net. I suggested that they made a power-pi board at around $99 because the world has been ready for power-arm for a long, long time now. The PI is great for small things, but we have to remember that a huge part of development is shifting to web technology, and running 4-8 megabytes of packed javascript on a PI is simply no good. It wont even load Quake 3 as webassembly. But for small projects, GPIO work, emulation of older computers – its fantastic. I just really wish they made a power model because the quality of their work is by far the best of the lot. And $100 buys a lot of ARM firepower in 2019. Hopefully the ODroid N2 will change the landscape a bit, it should be out shortly I hope.

21. beholder2012 on September 1, 2019 at 2:57 pm

You forgot(?) BeagleBone Black https://beagleboard.org/black

22. Benjamin McLean on September 1, 2019 at 2:59 pm

I disagree on the barrel jack for power. It’s very hard to find barrel jack plugs which are both the right size and the right volts/watts for my many electronic devices. Douglas Adams declared war on black dangly things back in the 1980s and the micro usb standard (or USB-C) could finally win the war. We should not go backwards to many incompatible plugs, but forwards to one standard kind of plug, ideally USB-C since it is reversible at last.

23. BungyStudios on September 1, 2019 at 3:00 pm

As opposed to two board computers?

24. Alex Becerra on September 1, 2019 at 3:01 pm

I want one that will able to play ps2 games and gamecube games too

25. VauxhallViva1975 on September 1, 2019 at 3:04 pm

9:02 – Isn’t this technically a son-board? 😉 It plugs into the mainboard using a socket on the mainboard, and pins on the processor board. Normally, a daughterboard has female connectors that mate with matching male headers on the mainboard. Yes, I am splitting hairs….. 😉

26. THE Mithrandir09 on September 1, 2019 at 3:05 pm

Which sbc would you recommend to play 4k2k Movies at 60 Hz encoded with h265?

27. Layne Frazier on September 1, 2019 at 3:07 pm

how about a rasberry pi with a gtx 2080 xD

28. Szaone 01 on September 1, 2019 at 3:08 pm

This is why i love my Amiga <3

29. jeff martin on September 1, 2019 at 3:09 pm

I don’t like any of the connectors on that board I think it needs 10gb Network connector and all the usb and network connection are to big. Plus I want more cpu maybe 8 cpu or more for multiple tasking. maybe just make sure all the connections for the network connector go into the CPU two so you can see what the maximum speed we can get on that Network with wires in every connector. Plus the optic cable so I can do speed races between usb 4.0 or fiber or network.

30. Wilko Vehreke on September 1, 2019 at 3:09 pm

I can’t agree on the power supply part. Power via USB-C should be the future.

31. Salih Aktaş on September 1, 2019 at 3:09 pm

you are a man and king!

32. hwang53 on September 1, 2019 at 3:09 pm

33. N Brown on September 1, 2019 at 3:11 pm

How long before we have single board A.I. computers that need no software because they create what we need on the fly?

34. Mark Doney-Mccloud on September 1, 2019 at 3:11 pm

Shouldn’t they call the smaller version Slice as in part pi?

35. Miku MichDem on September 1, 2019 at 3:12 pm

I think SBCs will stay segmented due to a simple reason that most projects don’t require so many features. PI Zeros for example were made specifically to meet demand for projects that require less computing power and consequently "less stuff" on top of it.

SBC you described would be great and will in fact find a lot of usage, but we’d still need some SBC to make a simple gate opener. And anything more powerful then RPI Zero (or Orange PI Zero or Nano PI) would be overkill.

36. richard klegin on September 1, 2019 at 3:13 pm

more and more power is needed just to surf the web now days. sad i rember being able to surf on old pentum 4

37. jimmyxtc69 on September 1, 2019 at 3:14 pm

I’m concerned about 5g and it’s effects on human health.

38. hwang53 on September 1, 2019 at 3:14 pm

39. fmagic2000able on September 1, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Would like to see some SBCs make use of AMD’s Ryzen processors to go up against the Intel-based SBCs in the near future, perhaps we could get powerful SBCs for a cheaper price? By the way, enjoying watching this video on my Tinker board S. :<)

40. John Turner on September 1, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Man I don’t understand why I like the way he presents things on his channel so much. No frills just the info and I love it

41. DumbledoreMcCracken on September 1, 2019 at 3:17 pm

My biggest issue is the heat. Using a Wicked Aluminum Pi Holder heat sink case, after several days of running a RPi 1 B at 50% utilization, the case becomes quite warm (34°C).
    After heat, memory, USB 3.x, and then speed are the next things I want improved.

42. Dave N on September 1, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Can you tell us about back-plane sbc’s? They are the ones that get fixed in a pci or pci express slot. I would greatly appreciate it.

43. Subir Majumdar on September 1, 2019 at 3:18 pm

How about a series of videos showing the different applications of SBC’s? AI might be too much but IoT control stuff using SBCs would surely attract a lot of interest.

44. mnoxman on September 1, 2019 at 3:18 pm

At one point with the io port these things would have been called a "micro controller". They might run DOS and have a whopping 1MB of ram. Some would have a standard bus called PC104. .

45. Andy Panda on September 1, 2019 at 3:19 pm

These are SBT -> Single Board Toy, but not computers… You’ve missed computers

46. Ricardo Castro on September 1, 2019 at 3:23 pm

You knew all along! 6:34 sneaky chris.

47. jtreg on September 1, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Źzzzzzzźzzz

48. gta 6 leaked 2019 gta 6 leaked 2019 on September 1, 2019 at 3:25 pm

Im waiting for the applepie c-nt sbc the size the size of a box of matches

49. MsLia32 on September 1, 2019 at 3:25 pm

I wonder if AMD apu’s are going to be capable of 1080p gaming at 60fps that all desktop computers will be single board.

50. Tom B on September 1, 2019 at 3:27 pm