How Computers Ruined Rock Music

How Computers Ruined Rock Music

In this episode I show you the reason I believe that computers killed Rock Music.
THE BEATO CLUB → https://flatfiv.com/pages/become-a-beato-club-member

BUY THE BEATO BOOK HERE → http://bit.ly/2uTQFlo

Follow my Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/rickbeato1/

**Advanced Harmonic Concepts for Composition and Improvisation Video Course** → www.flatfiv.com

BEATO MUSIC FORUM → forum.rickbeato.com

Matthew Porter
Frederick Humphrey
Frederick Humphrey
Paul Noonan
Mansel Ismay

1. Braincoral on September 11, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Rick: computers have ruined rock music. it’s all fake
    Also Rick: that’s actually better than the original
    😀

2. Tony Brown on September 11, 2019 at 7:36 pm

I Think youve shot yourself in the foot on this one me old matey !!
    At 00.05 "Do They play in a way that makes you want to move, whether its dancing, tapping your foot,or moving your head or even jumping around in a mosh pit"
    Next you hinge about music made by playing to a click and at 16.49 your say "Music That’s been pitched and Pocketed, gridded and auto tuned all the way through"
    And yet all the way through your head is going up and down !!

3. B Carr on September 11, 2019 at 7:37 pm

The computer helped wanna Be’s with little or no talent to sound like they did have talent and the first Apple media player killed cd sales and made it possible for real musicians to starve or find another way to make a living. Now less live music venues and more dance clubs with crappy computer tracks. Hang in there honest musicians waiting to rock our time will come back again. Thanks Rick

4. HowToDoItDude on September 11, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Rick, how the he’ll did Billy Joel do ‘Angry young man ‘ without a sequencer? True talent! He also plays it live at different speeds between the intro and ending. That’s what makes it real!

5. Gold Gauntlet Comix on September 11, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Its a castration machine….

6. Cosmotype on September 11, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Kraftwerk – Trans Europe Express

7. Far Que on September 11, 2019 at 7:39 pm

First off, let’s be specific that we are talking POP & AOR ROCK MUSIC because there are plenty of talented musicians still writing and creating tons of great music across all genres that you have to search for because they will never make it to the mainstream. BUT it is was really video that first killed music, computers came a bit later. As the song says, "Video killed the radio star." Once video came on the scene, you didn’t need talent; just looks and boy is there plenty of proof of that in the 80’s. Then computers made it that much easier for a few hands to make music more formulaic taking talent out of the equation. Most of the garbage singing on the radio today can’t really sing without Auto-tune. Ann Wilson in her mid 60’s still sounds better than every top pop artist that has come out in the past 20 years EASY.

8. Fahad Chughtai on September 11, 2019 at 7:39 pm

Computers didn’t kill rock music.

You’re just old.

9. hunter wilk on September 11, 2019 at 7:40 pm

"I could put a little metal in there…" -in regards to nickleback. You and me both bud.

10. Jane Ross on September 11, 2019 at 7:40 pm

I’ve not got a live input mechanism for my drum sounds, so what I’m doing is to record a table tap, and then try and fit the moused-in drums to match it by messing with the (curvable-input) tempo control. I figure it’s better to put the work in to try and mimic a natural rhythm than just leave it bland and exact. It might not still sound right, but it will sound a hell of a lot better. I’d rather just have access to a drum set of course, or even better an actual drummer, but you work with what you have. 🙂

11. Michael John Little on September 11, 2019 at 7:41 pm

I am not a musician, but I an interested how you broke the song into it’ component parts…?

12. Tony longo on September 11, 2019 at 7:41 pm

Funny.., I must live under a rock. .. I record with my drummer using an old Tascam DP24 multi-trac recorder, which to me,. is modern. we learn the song,…. sometimes i yell out the vocal line and we go for it, No paste, dubbing, cut and splice, ( i don’t even know how to do that) I’ll go back and add second guitar and bass and layer from there. The songs sound like they were recorded on an old multitrack ( Reel to Reel being real old school) but you get the point. I’m a musician, my songs haven’t made me a dime..YET!! But we play them with feel and they breath like they are alive!!! ..Because they are alive!! and real and imperfect like the mere mortals that created them.

13. Charles Spalding on September 11, 2019 at 7:44 pm

Funny, I do the opposite…I use software to de-quantize vsti’s like drums and piano which I program in…to make it feel more human

14. Jeff Kiefer on September 11, 2019 at 7:47 pm

Not knocking Rick here at all. He is my fave! Just observing how he gets into making these edits in protools, keeps saying “this is cool” or “how about this” as he makes changes. It can be addictive tweaking these things to death. IMHO this is what is doing the damage as much or more than the tech itself. Having a producer or ten of them cut n paste their way to a “perfect” song. Record em live as they play. Or at least play some guide tracks to a click as you build a song but then let the players get elastic with it.

15. Charles Allison on September 11, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Rick, this is one of the best analyses that I’ve seen. Frank Zappa talked about the record industry in the 80’s saying in the 60’s and 70’s there was some A&R guy listening to a band saying "I don’t understand this stuff but the kids seem to like it so let’s give them a shot.". Later they hired guys that supposedly knew what the kids liked and it killed creativity. It kept going downhill from there and by the mid 80’s things like electronic drums and techniques like gated reverb were almost overdone, but it was still real musicians playing instruments. When "the box" came along, it’s almost like the need for real musicians that can actually play were made obsolete. Now you have "producers" selling beats so every song sounds alike and with the quatization and auto-tune added in it makes things almost unlistenable.

16. Justin Pliskowski on September 11, 2019 at 7:53 pm

This is awesome…well the explanation is awesome. The rest is sad.

17. PaulThePhotoGuy on September 11, 2019 at 7:55 pm

you had me at autotune

18. Bill Mayo on September 11, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Nickelback? See ya!

19. nounou on September 11, 2019 at 7:57 pm

nothing is ruined shutup

20. sabbis on September 11, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Pure rock (whatever that is) was fading out at that time. Parts of it got borrowed in to other genres though. Also metal quickly took over the role that Rock had before. As someone posted before, the need for rock wasn’t there or it was covered by some other genre. I’m not finding much Rock from 2000’s (I’m not counting over produced pop-songs with distorted guitars). It revived a little with the 70s inspired bands later on. The technology didn’t kill rock, maybe indirectly, as it made way for new types of music which fitted the end-consumer better. What is Rock anyways?

21. chelseafn10 on September 11, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Computers ruined all Music. Not just Rock.

22. sqweezel on September 11, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Dos it make me move? Well, I’m a drummer and a dancer. I hear rhythm in everything. Like machines and windshield washers. I’m always tapping things to hear what it sounds like. But I get it. That’s why I love improvising. The fluctuations and breathing of the rhythm unleashed. What a feeling.

23. Vigilant Dr. Dolittle on September 11, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Imperfection makes music sound richer. The same thing with guitars. They are never in tune but our ears correct it. The overtones of cords rub against each other beautifully.
    Automation kills the soul and for me, the most beautiful recordings are the ones when bands record it all together live.

24. Bill Hellewell on September 11, 2019 at 8:00 pm

What I love most about you Rick, is you still have fun….even when your disecting pocketed songs ..LOL. It’s in your soul brother and it’s fun to watch 😉

25. Michael McDonald on September 11, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Rubato !!!!!!!!

26. Once Around Saturn on September 11, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Are you suggesting quantisation is never a good thing? I mean, yeah, I guess I prefer my rock raw, but there are many songs where I’ve thought, pity it’s not played in time or the tempo is all over the place.
    Quantisation, autotune, any kind of software for that matter can be used to for good or evil.
    I would say, sure, you can overuse these tools, or perhaps become too reliant on them, but to suggest they ruined rock music is hyperbole.

27. roobscoob47 on September 11, 2019 at 8:02 pm

Beatto-Biotch!!!

28. Meanwhileinthestudio on September 11, 2019 at 8:05 pm

How Rick creates a Boom Bap beat.

29. darkalman on September 11, 2019 at 8:06 pm

POW POW POW POW
    It’s ok, you can leave now they’ve sampled it

30. hwd71 on September 11, 2019 at 8:08 pm

The same was said about classical music when the metronome was invented.

31. Timothy Dreas on September 11, 2019 at 8:09 pm

The Blues Brothers predicted this … Good evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to the Universal Amphitheater.  Well here it is the late-1970s, going on 1985; you know, so much of the music we hear today is preprogrammed electronic disco that we no longer get a chance to hear master bluesmen practicing their craft anymore. By the year 2006, the music known today as the blues will exist only in the classical records department of your local public library. So tonight, ladies and gentlemen, while we still can, let’s welcome from Rock Island, Illinois, the blues band of “Joliet” Jake and Elwood Blues: the Blues Brothers.

32. Fashionably_Straight on September 11, 2019 at 8:10 pm

It’s not that i’m old, new music does suck

33. Mikkall on September 11, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Tasteless, greedy, selfish people and the RIAA killed Rock Music. Let’s rephrase that… they temporarily buried Rock Music. It’s still alive and always will be.

34. tiffsaver on September 11, 2019 at 8:14 pm

COMPUTERS WILL EVENTUALLY DESTROY THE WORLD, AND EVERYTHING IN IT… PERIOD.

35. porsche 930 on September 11, 2019 at 8:16 pm

"A little metal in there" If this sucks so much why do they do it? I am not a musician and never studied music theory, but I know the new stuff sucks.

36. misterfunnybones on September 11, 2019 at 8:17 pm

Nothing will prevent dancers or singers from complaining about shifting tempos. click track, quantization, conductor – nothing!

37. Bryan Johnson on September 11, 2019 at 8:22 pm

I think there’s actually a lot of really good new rock music out there. It’s just that the pop charts are dominated by a bunch of crappy rap and hip-hop so you have to go looking for it. I think that’s actually better though.

Three examples….
    Royal blood
    Bones UK
    Greta Van Fleet

38. maxml415 on September 11, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Gotta say, this is a pretty poor take. Cherry picking examples of bad songs that were quantized doesn’t prove much of anything. Might as well write off hip hop, and all electronic music while you’re at it

39. dixon hill on September 11, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Over compression did way more damage imo, never forget never again.

40. Rob Field on September 11, 2019 at 8:24 pm

I regard DAW etc as a tool, you can use or overuse them.
    When my band has recorded on ProTools we do live takes and sometimes the engineer has pulled different parts out of versions he prefers which is arguably no different than tape splicing.
    The only other editing he has done is where the drummer really sped up or slowed down trying to get them closer to uniformity or the occasional vocal gooch in a otherwise good take.

41. RockStar on September 11, 2019 at 8:24 pm

I feel like Neil Peart’s drum tracks just look like they’re quantized…lol… The guy’s a human metronome…

42. ran doshus on September 11, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Foo Fighters killed rock music. The mixing of STP album Core and Nirvana Nevermind is the pinnacle of rock mixing…From there on out it got too compressed and quantized. Butch Vig produced Nevermind, and he also produced Garbage. Listen to their song Stupid Girl… it’s flawless, but it still has dynamic range and groove.

43. John HENDRICKS on September 11, 2019 at 8:25 pm

When everybody starts doing the same thing then everything starts getting monotonous. The music that you were playing with sounds great no matter what you did.

44. MrCleverheel on September 11, 2019 at 8:26 pm

And in the late 80’s Bon Jovi gave music AIDS….

45. Phil Lefever on September 11, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Tis only a tool, it is up to the engineer to not use it in a negative manner.

46. Ceko on September 11, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Sounds like what Metallica does all the time

47. Alejandro Espina on September 11, 2019 at 8:28 pm

Sorry but, tools don’t make music … Artists do, people (producer / creator / musicians ) decide how and when to use it, tools give options, just that. Why so worried about tools? … Worry about stupid people doing stupid things ? ok that’s makes more sense. cya!

48. Benefit123 on September 11, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Man that’s kind of boring. Now when I mess around with making songs, I’m going to try and keep it as natural as possible! I always love listening to the little imperfections in songs, it gives them more character!

49. Mindrex on September 11, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Auto tune, made What’s her name Black Famous on YouTube, "Friday, Friday gettin down on Friday" (rinse and repeat)
    "Fried eggs, Fried eggs, gettin down on Fried eggs" Thank you SO MUCH Auto Tune !!!!!!!!!

50. Nicholas Pacelli on September 11, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Rick sounding like a teacher who Is grading his students after knowing they cheated. Hes proving it to them