25 Things People Did BEFORE CELL PHONES You Won't Believe

25 Things People Did BEFORE CELL PHONES You Won't Believe

If you think hard, maybe you can remember these things that people did before cell phones that you won’t believe. For those of you that can’t remember a time without cell phones, get ready for an education! Before we had Snapchat, Facebook, and tons of apps to entertain us, families everywhere led a completely different life – one filled with human interaction, real time board games, and reading actual paper books. Do you remember what it was like to be a kid without cell phones? Think you’re ready for a glimpse into the past? Then check out these 25 Things People Did Before Cell Phones You Won’t Believe!

Do you remember sitting around the dinner table without your eyes being glued to a small screen? What about following directions on a real map or picking a restaurant to eat at based on word of mouth or a newspaper article? This crazy throwback before cell phones list will have you chuckling and wishing for a simpler time. If any of these situations sound familiar to you then you might be ready to watch this list. Part nostalgia fest and part reminder of a simpler time, this list will have you ready to put your phone in a drawer and kick it like it’s 1999. Make sure to check out ever one of these things people did before cell phones and make sure to leave us a comment with what you think we missed!

Full List, Photo Credits, and Sources: https://list25.com/25-things-people-did-before-cell-phones-you-wont-believe

Check out our store: https://teespring.com/stores/list25-swag

List25 Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/list25
List25 Instagram: https://instagram.com/list25/
List25 Twitter – https://twitter.com/list25
List25 Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/list25/

See more Top 25 lists on our website:

From using actual camera (and carrying all the gear that went with them) to calculating tips manually (remember your mom carrying a portable tip calculator?) this list will hit you right in the heart with it’s blast from the past. Remember walking to an ATM to check your bank balance (and the public humiliation of realizing your account was empty)? What about calling a real yellow taxi or using an answering machine to let you know you missed a call? Pay phones, phone books, being tied up in the corded phone, and reading a magazine at the doctor’s office are all things that we now take for granted that were a huge part of life before cell phones. Sit back, relax, and be prepared to watch this list all the way to the end to see which crazy things made our top 10 things people did before cell phones!

Music Credit: Brooke’s Dream by Dan Lebowitz

#List25 #TodayILearned #cellphones

1. Yeetmoid Dankerson on October 4, 2019 at 2:55 pm

People still use Normal Taxis. At least in Ireland

2. Cristian Perez on October 4, 2019 at 2:57 pm

I honestly get depressed being in my phone so much but sometimes there’s nothing else to do because everybody else is on their cellphones lmao

3. Mango T on October 4, 2019 at 3:02 pm

#4. Went outside? Whhaaaattt?

4. Mike Briceno on October 4, 2019 at 3:03 pm

we also used to build sketchy shit and hope we didn’t die doing it

5. Respawn Entertainment on October 4, 2019 at 3:03 pm

A lot of these things haven’t quite been replaced by cell phones. First of all: people use physical cash a lot and mobile payment is barely used. Second of all: People still use handheld game systems. The switch has 10x better games than a phone. Third of all: some people check their email on the computer only.

6. ianna cn on October 4, 2019 at 3:05 pm

TV….a lot of TV and video games.

7. Nicole Schmidt on October 4, 2019 at 3:07 pm

I’m starting to really despise cell phones. The only thing good about them is being able to reach someone in an emergency and that’s ONLY if you get a signal. Talking to a person face to face is the best way to do it.

8. Mr. Opinionated on October 4, 2019 at 3:08 pm

"B side" songs are extinct. Bands would release a single cassette and on the B side have a song a lot of the times like Metallica that wasn’t on the album or a cover

9. Jake Knapp on October 4, 2019 at 3:08 pm

They still have board games okay

10. H.S Lyons on October 4, 2019 at 3:09 pm

This is my generation right here!

11. Don Velasquez on October 4, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Call or look up what time a movie is playing.

12. Samuel Fotheringham on October 4, 2019 at 3:13 pm

*67 for prank calls lol

13. Jermaine Ortiz on October 4, 2019 at 3:13 pm

I had a game gear, Game boy , and a Sony walkman. I was buying AA batteries like crazy.

14. Kendrick J on October 4, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Ima ’93 baby so I can relate to majority of this list

15. Carly on October 4, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Besides using our landmine as buttons to play songs like Funkytown, we used Pagers for awhile interesting technology no longer necessary. It started with doctors and then drug dealers to the common person.

16. jsaund02 on October 4, 2019 at 3:15 pm

I remember when I had to turn the lights on to see in a dark room.

17. BigWill83 on October 4, 2019 at 3:15 pm

Buying Play boy magazines instead of online

18. Kory St. Aoro on October 4, 2019 at 3:16 pm

I remember before cell phones and in fact I don’t have a smartphone and do a number of these things still.

19. robert clark on October 4, 2019 at 3:17 pm

There were other electronic hand held games besides Game Boy or Game Gear they were little bigger than a calculator and took the same batteries , then there’s the pocket TV with a 3 inch screen .

20. Aron Lloyd on October 4, 2019 at 3:19 pm

I think the best things modern phones bring to life that actually make a difference are; Playing/ Streaming music, Maps, I think everyone should still use cash day-to-day although internet purchase is very convenient. Although I do agree modern technology makes life easier, It”s making people into zombies. People need to realise how to use technology in moderation. Live in the real world.

21. wanetta renay on October 4, 2019 at 3:20 pm

SMOKE WEED WITH FRIENDS WHO CAME OVER TO YOUR PAD TO HEAR THE LATEST ROCK ALBUM

22. Peter Jack on October 4, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Calculating tips is not that tough. Ten percent drop the last digit. Fifteen percent. Add half of ten percent. Twenty percent. Take ten percent and double it. No calculator required.

23. W Mcfadden on October 4, 2019 at 3:21 pm

I cant go outside without seeing someone walking by while staring at their phone, or on a bike while staring at their phones.. It makes me sick, while I stare at my phone.

24. Jake Knapp on October 4, 2019 at 3:21 pm

They still have handheld games like psvita and 3ds and what if the 90s needs to have it I wish Steve ejobs then would create it that would be more awesome right and also what if the stuff like blu Ray was made in the 90s instead of the 2000s like it will still be cool also YouTube and the other websites okay but the the other decades and the 80s didn’t okay

25. RonniStyles on October 4, 2019 at 3:22 pm

You use the same reasons alot for your videos. What about if your car broke down. You had to walk to a phone!

26. SuperMissblueeyes on October 4, 2019 at 3:23 pm

Fun fact: The Queen (UK) has banned the playing of Monopoly in the Royal Family because it causes too many arguments.

27. Maxim Villeneuve on October 4, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Going to the library to find interesting books in the genre you liked, having to physically go to a bookstore to purchase books, going to a music cd store to purchase music, going to local video location stores to rent movies and/or games, make phonecalls to book a room at an hotel (or doing so trought a travelling agency), actually speak with peoples instead of texting while sitting face to face, buy magasines to evaluate your collector items, buy Nintendo Power for the latest Nintendo news. I miss those times where the cellphone was less present… Glad me and my friends actually meet up at least once a week in a local cafe with board games renting.

28. _ _ on October 4, 2019 at 3:24 pm

I still do 25 -13 as I am not conditioned by what everyone else is

29. _ _ on October 4, 2019 at 3:25 pm

No. 8 people are a million more times isolated and lonely now as they dont have real contact with sctual people its caĺled anti-social conitioning or social media get off it to save your sanity folks connect with real people and not screens.

30. DAVID CASTILLO on October 4, 2019 at 3:27 pm

I used to play board games and watch tv and play on the N64

31. Origin man Bad! on October 4, 2019 at 3:27 pm

People watching

32. _ _ on October 4, 2019 at 3:30 pm

I go outside almost every day so do aĺ norwegians

33. Mike Briceno on October 4, 2019 at 3:30 pm

still ask for directions if I’m not completely sure where I’m going

34. Jesse Kehrley on October 4, 2019 at 3:31 pm

Before cell phones (and severe primary progressive multiple sclerosis), I had a decent life. Now my cell phone is rally my only connection to the world, and it’s surprisingly lonely.

35. andrew clark on October 4, 2019 at 3:32 pm

We ate dinner at home actually cooked not nuked by mom or bbq’d by dad and sat at a table with dishes that could be washed.

36. Jon Champion on October 4, 2019 at 3:33 pm

Yes kids playing outside. Back on the 90’s before cellphones my friends and I would play good guys vs bad guys we took plastic Dollar store swords and fought the invisible bad guys. At the end of the day we came out on top.

37. Michelle Lambert on October 4, 2019 at 3:35 pm

Before cellphones when I was younger I use to make home made playdo with my mom and homemade pinatas and we would make forts with chairs and blankets we also use to make card houses together or play war and me and my sister and are friends use to play outside all the time

38. Matthew Stork on October 4, 2019 at 3:36 pm

Kids weren’t the worthless pretentious pussies they are today. I don’t use my phone much except to watch videos. They also didnt mention you didnt have worthless cunts texting and driving. That pisses me off so bad. I’ve been hit twice by someone texting. They should have had their thumbs permanently dislocated. Anyone that texts and drives I hope goes off the road into a ditch.

39. EdwardRCL RCL on October 4, 2019 at 3:36 pm

cell phones destroy life

40. Jeremy Lee on October 4, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Actually enjoy events….Now people wanna record everything and see it through their phone screen

41. Zack Carty on October 4, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Best place to ask for directions now is a pizza 🍕 store like dominos or pizza hut🙂

42. Gypsy Rovrette on October 4, 2019 at 3:38 pm

I remember listeng to music on records and 8 tracks.

43. Hoosier Daddy on October 4, 2019 at 3:39 pm

I still do most of these! Number 10 is one of my pet peeves.

44. Mike Crites on October 4, 2019 at 3:41 pm

… rotary phones ,ewwww.

45. franl155 on October 4, 2019 at 3:42 pm

I still use a camera to take photos, an mp3 player to listen to music, a desktop PC to get online; I use a cellphone for phone calls and texts – I tend to work on the principle of  not-all-eggs-in-one-basket.
    I still read paper books and play board games, chess and cards with real physical pieces.
    I still have a landline, with answer-machine – and I can remember a time when I didn’t have a phone at all.
    I can also remember writing a letter in my own [joined-up] handwriting, posting it and waiting a couple of weeks to get a reply.  These days people expect a reply within five minutes.

46. Mr. Opinionated on October 4, 2019 at 3:43 pm

I am glad I am old enough to have lived without the internet/smart phones. I can appreciate them better. Would I go back to those days..? FUCK NO!! The best things is endless music at my fingertips and the ease of taking pics and not having to need all those photo albums.

47. _ _ on October 4, 2019 at 3:43 pm

Imagination helps develop you character and ability to think in different circumstances

48. casey m on October 4, 2019 at 3:46 pm

You had to actually talk to people instead of texting. Some times ya just don’t wanna

49. jeff Richart on October 4, 2019 at 3:47 pm

I enjoyed listening to party lines, neighbors talking to someone else, specialty if. You liked someone and their phone was part of the party line you were on. Oh the 60’d and 70’s to be young again

50. Michelle Lambert on October 4, 2019 at 3:49 pm

I don’t use Twitter None of that stuff I use money and go to the bank because I don’t trust to use my phone or pay online I may sound older but am in my 20s and have only had a smart phone for 2 years