How To Make A Cluster Computer (Part 1)

How To Make A Cluster Computer (Part 1)

📗LIMITED TIME!!! GET MY NEW BOOK FOR $1!📕 https://bit.ly/2nAAN5d
Learn how to make a cluster computer using Raspberry Pi’s! You can also use this method to build your own super computer.

Parts you will need:

2 or more Raspberry Pi’s – http://goo.gl/8doKXp
SD cards for each Pi – http://goo.gl/6kelAa
Power Cables for each Pi – http://goo.gl/Zozwk9
Powered USB Hub (optional) – http://goo.gl/Pe6oNl
Networking Cables – http://goo.gl/P540y1
A Hub or a Router – http://goo.gl/srXHvm

Build Instructions:

Help support my channel:

Get social!

1. Hanimiii on November 24, 2019 at 6:43 pm

hello, is it possible to do cluster computer with old laptop?

2. Ethan Manzi on November 24, 2019 at 6:44 pm

I know this is pretty old, but I wanted to post this, because I immediately thought of this video.

This is a project I’ve thought of doing many times, after all, a RaspberryPI cluster computer is a nice and – relatively – cheap expandable computing system for small scale projects. When I saw something on the RaspberryPI’s website, however, that made me really exited. I’m talking about the RaspberryPI compute module. They are tiny little cards ( they fit into a "standard DDR2 SODIMM connector" according to the website ) that are fully RaspberryPIs meant for industry use. However, I think they’d be freaking awesome for cluster computers.

The idea, is create some sort of casing system. Just buy a bunch of DDR2 SODIMM female connectors, since they seem pretty cheap, a single RaspberryPI, wiring tools tools, and some material to make the case out of. You’ll also need the "Compute Module IO Board" to flash the OS of the chip. Once you build and wire up your case, you’d have a very easily expandable cluster computer. Here’s how.

The OS you’d flash onto each chip is merely a network boot system. I haven’t looked much into the specs ( so all of what I’m saying is mostly speculative ) but I’d assume there are pins for what would usually be a female ethernet adapter. Essentially, wire them all of ( splicing them into ethernet cables if you want ) into a switch system to create a LAN for all of the female DDR2 connectors, and the single master PI. This way, once a card is slid in, it would be given power, network boot, and thus be given an image already setup for cluster computing, with all of the various certificates, keys, softwares, etc. already on the system. Then, it boots up and connects to the cluster.

To me, this seems like a very nice method of creating a cluster system. Easily expandable, and are slightly cheaper ( $25 per card ) then a regular RaspberryPI. They’re also much slimmer, and to me, this sounds really aesthetically pleasing. Basically, you’ve created a server rack, only instead of the thousand dollar computers big data companies would insert, you insert delicious PIs. Since this is meant to be imbedded and soldered right onto a project, it also seems like it would be great for a project like this. It also says you get every more GPIO pins. If you really wanted to use pins, I’d image you could create ports in the back of the case ( using either a parallel cable with enough pins, or a serial encoder/decoder to use something more modern, like a USB-C cable ). Adding and removing cards seems really easy, and in fact, they even have a Lite model, which doesn’t have build in SD-equivalent, instead giving you access to the what-would-be SD card pins. Meaning no need to even flash a OS before hand. Simply connect all of them directly to a SINGLE SD card, with the network boot already there, or even Raspbian with the cluster firmware already installed.

I don’t know about anyone else, but this makes me pretty existed. Seems like a really compact, easy, and frankly pleasing, way of creating an expandable cluster computer. Start with a single PI, then another, and another, until you’ve filled your entire rack. Again, I’m not entirely sure about the plausibility of all of this, but I think that if possible, it would be a cool video. Plus, because of these cards size, they are also great for more compact projects you may do, such as you Smart Car project, using a card as small as this could be very good, especially when you know you won’t be opening the casing, just to use a USB/ethernet port ( and thus, those ports are waisting valuable real-estate ).

3. julio paiz on November 24, 2019 at 6:45 pm

Hi, thank you for the tutorial, i have 1 question, Win32 Disk Imager asks what hash to include… options are: MD5, SHA1 and SHA256, wich should I choose?

4. Ghost Idiot on November 24, 2019 at 6:45 pm

This work for Aleinwares? Got nothing better to do.

5. Arka Sengupta on November 24, 2019 at 6:46 pm

Can you make a cluster from old laptop motherboards ?

6. noo way on November 24, 2019 at 6:46 pm

Sadly, I am already in my 70’s, I doubt I have the time left to build this thingy…..

7. Muneer Ullah khan on November 24, 2019 at 6:47 pm

8400 gs 3d card is better or the in build 3d card of pentiuem i3

8. Jonathan Mayer on November 24, 2019 at 6:47 pm

Doese it also work with usual motherboards?

9. In2Game / In2Life on November 24, 2019 at 6:47 pm

What’s the Raspberry Pi version please

10. StokedPompano 58 on November 24, 2019 at 6:50 pm

Can you use windows in raspberry pi

11. Alfredo Bucko on November 24, 2019 at 6:52 pm

i got about 200 raspberries 15 dollars a piece anyone interested

12. FORS4TAN on November 24, 2019 at 6:52 pm

My inner noob always thought you just connect them via usb cables 😀

13. vcokltfre on November 24, 2019 at 6:53 pm

Funny, real funny, run old windows on an iPad and I watch on a linux laptop wondering how to do it…

14. LordSykocutioner on November 24, 2019 at 6:53 pm

would it be possible to use pi 1s and 2s with zeros in a cluster computer?

15. Bryant Moyle on November 24, 2019 at 6:53 pm

Is this guide still valid?

16. Fenterik on November 24, 2019 at 6:54 pm

reccomendatins squad?

17. Sliyaroh Modus on November 24, 2019 at 6:56 pm

His tutorials are rather sparse on the details.

18. yako 000 on November 24, 2019 at 6:57 pm

What if.. bear with me now. We made a beastly computer with about 64gb ram, and at least 8 cores. Then we used virtualization to make about 8 rasbian OSes. Then linked it all together with networking.

19. Daniel Marín on November 24, 2019 at 6:57 pm

I’d exchange one of two slice of pie to "working out time" and burn all those carbs…!

20. Bartek XD on November 24, 2019 at 6:57 pm

*w00t*

21. Black on Black Exotic Review on November 24, 2019 at 6:59 pm

I’m building a cluster computer with normal size motherboards, what Linux distro should I use? and would it be the same process?

22. Anderson David on November 24, 2019 at 6:59 pm

t is better to use so many, together this is for multiplayer emulation.

23. Eli Hajagos on November 24, 2019 at 7:01 pm

Can you do this for python3?

24. MrMeTech on November 24, 2019 at 7:02 pm

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

25. Smail Smajlovic on November 24, 2019 at 7:03 pm

But can it run Crysis?

26. MD Hossain on November 24, 2019 at 7:04 pm

Wait, where do i put the SD card in the pie?

27. Sedit T on November 24, 2019 at 7:04 pm

Pi Zero is $5.00 .. Thats 20 of them for 100$, Thats 10gb of RAM, 20 Cores( I believe Zeros are single core correct?) I mean, it would not be the most powerful super computer or anything but should run rather well and the cost is dirt ass cheep.

28. FoxDogist Gaming on November 24, 2019 at 7:05 pm

What if I wanted to use something like a set of 4 OptiPlex 745’s?

29. RK_Beelze on November 24, 2019 at 7:06 pm

it cant find the command "aptitude" when installing python at 4:57

30. Mostafa Mohamed on November 24, 2019 at 7:09 pm

It possible for intel core i9 ?
    Or amd ryzen 7 ??

31. Kp Pavu on November 24, 2019 at 7:12 pm

dude i have doubt, one of my friend is making this super computer using Raspberry Pi 3 Cluster and he is installing Raspbian Jessie image as os which is of debian family, but i have this question should we buy a new monitor to use this os by the raspberry super computer orelse can we use it as virtual machine

32. RainbowFoxSilo on November 24, 2019 at 7:13 pm

Will it run fortnite

33. jeffreyfuhz on November 24, 2019 at 7:15 pm

impressive and overwhelming.. I have so much to learn…..

34. Truly Infamous on November 24, 2019 at 7:17 pm

I’d love to see someone make a computer cluster out of a bunch of old laptops and trashed computers.

35. Antonio Cialfi on November 24, 2019 at 7:18 pm

alright, I am interested in making a handheld console with 2 raspberry pi’s (rpi3 +rpi2)
    i keep looking for a tutorial on how to make a 2 node system with no luck,

also i keep hearing online: no, clustering your pi’s will not make the system run faster.

then what does it do?

if someone could help me, that would be great,

36. Status Enterprise on November 24, 2019 at 7:19 pm

your awesome. quick and to the point. and the jokes were ok lol. the brain explode from sudo/nano joke got me rolling tho….
    🙂

37. Yogesh Patel on November 24, 2019 at 7:20 pm

window 10 how to install

38. mohmed badr on November 24, 2019 at 7:24 pm

can i do this with Linux and only on two PCs

39. R O D D I T on November 24, 2019 at 7:24 pm

this video gave me heart failure

40. DontEvenTalkTo Me on November 24, 2019 at 7:25 pm

Can someone tell me if I can combine raspberry pis to make a game console

41. Carsen -W- on November 24, 2019 at 7:26 pm

So, the point of this is really useless, for the reason that you could buy a cheap desktop (You can get $100 desktops that preform better then 4 raspberry pis). pretty useless.

42. npgoalkeeper _ on November 24, 2019 at 7:34 pm

Can i run individual tasks on each board, with one as the master? I want to make a rs485 setup that uses 3 compute modules to run a gaming server, NAS, and network switch.

43. awesomebagel723 on November 24, 2019 at 7:36 pm

at least u an play fork knife

44. softwhere07 on November 24, 2019 at 7:39 pm

Lol. Have some pi

45. Subhodeep Mondal on November 24, 2019 at 7:39 pm

Can we cluster windows pc like this???

46. F Squanchy on November 24, 2019 at 7:39 pm

I’m trying to imagine a situation with a pi that would save me time by setting this up. Maybe visual processing for a camera?

47. Tigrezz on November 24, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Your tutorial is unclear and you assume that everyone sees the Raspi-Config on first boot.
    If you do not, please use the command "sudo raspi-config", this is useful for people to use, especially if people are SSHing into their Pi’s.

48. C on November 24, 2019 at 7:40 pm

would be cool if you could run wine on a cluster pc

49. Joschka Auer on November 24, 2019 at 7:41 pm

I don’t know if you are still answering questions on this video, but I might as well try. Can you run programs with GUIs using the cluster, or only python/C++ files?

50. Thebrightestbrick88 on November 24, 2019 at 7:41 pm