Psychology of Computing: Crash Course Computer Science #38

Psychology of Computing: Crash Course Computer Science #38

We’ve spent most of this series talking about computers. Which makes sense – this is Crash Course COMPUTER SCIENCE after all. But at their core computers are tools employed by humans and humans are pretty complicated. So today, we’re going to discuss some psychological considerations in building computers like how to make them easier for humans to use, the uncanny valley problem when humanoid robots gets more and more humanlike, and strategies to make our devices work better with us by incorporating our emotions and even altering our gaze. Oh, and we’ll talk about Carrie Anne’s all time favorite user interface design principle – knurling.

Produced in collaboration with PBS Digital Studios: http://youtube.com/pbsdigitalstudios

Want to know more about Carrie Anne?

The Latest from PBS Digital Studios: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1mtdjDVOoOqJzeaJAV15Tq0tZ1vKj7ZV

Want to find Crash Course elsewhere on the internet?
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/YouTubeCrash…
Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/TheCrashCourse
Tumblr – http://thecrashcourse.tumblr.com
Support Crash Course on Patreon: http://patreon.com/crashcourse
CC Kids: http://www.youtube.com/crashcoursekids

1. Bui Huy Khang on December 8, 2019 at 7:13 pm

No wonder why I’m bad at remembering phone numbers, I never separate them in group

2. sedthh on December 8, 2019 at 7:14 pm

jsut by reading the title, I didn’t expect this episode to be this entertaining and useful! great stuff

3. Kareem Jeiroudi on December 8, 2019 at 7:15 pm

This video is more interesting than my HCI course.

4. Tueem Syhu on December 8, 2019 at 7:15 pm

Very Informative!😁🎓

5. Ghetelen on December 8, 2019 at 7:17 pm

I love that stock footage of the guy in the rose bath. Always amused when I see him.

6. Blazerona on December 8, 2019 at 7:17 pm

I believe the only emotional influence a computer should have is to help you know how it works and nothing beyond that. It is a tool to use, not a tool that uses you.

7. CrazyPhysicsDEV on December 8, 2019 at 7:22 pm

This series is sooooo good watched every video in one day THANK YOU!!!

8. Giga Joules on December 8, 2019 at 7:25 pm

Hmmm…. The mutual gaze thing is definitely valid.
    As someone with ADHD it definitely makes a difference if the speaker in a video is addressing the camera, though I’ve never thought about it before this.

9. CultistO on December 8, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Multiple choice easier than fill in the blank? What university did you go to? Multiple choice are often considered the hardest type of question (excluding things like essay questions) because they are often designed to trick you, or at least cause you to "recognise" multiple answers, and second guess.

10. Leon Jones on December 8, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Broadcast quality videos make a great revision method. Not sure if its as learnable from scratch?

11. Thomas Busse on December 8, 2019 at 7:32 pm

I hate looking people in the eye. Most people say they are uncomfortable around me because I don’t look at them. It makes me a mutual gaze failure. I find it intrusive – I want to give others their privacy and feel ashamed to interfere in their lives.

12. Igor Vieru on December 8, 2019 at 7:32 pm

psychology dont exist , chemistry and fizics yo

13. Hanro50 on December 8, 2019 at 7:34 pm

sudo rm /boot
    reboot

The Linux version of "delete /system32"

14. Kregumz on December 8, 2019 at 7:35 pm

I’m a psychology and comp sci double major, and affective computing and HRI sound so cool!

15. OldRed91 on December 8, 2019 at 7:37 pm

You have to talk to 8-Bit Guy about that yellow Macintosh in the background

16. TelFiRE on December 8, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Seems very few care enough about usability. Things were getting better for a bit, but now they’re getting worse again.

17. Thomas Busse on December 8, 2019 at 7:40 pm

I’m afraid I can’t afford that, Dave. You see, I’m neither empathetic nor predictable.

18. northwesteneer on December 8, 2019 at 7:41 pm

Apparently YT comments do not support any line breaks anymore. Leaving no space after the . makes me look like a moron, unable to write properly.

19. Scary Punk Goose on December 8, 2019 at 7:43 pm

"So badly design that you just gave up" – So anything on linux or within the Microsoft office suite of programs.

20. Thomas Busse on December 8, 2019 at 7:43 pm

"A good interface once you gain experience is one that offers multiple paths to accomplish the same task." Reminds me of a job I once wasn’t hired for: I had an online skills test for Quickbooks and I guess I didn’t use the normal path the online test expected me to use to accomplish the ask.

21. halflifegordanjpog on December 8, 2019 at 7:45 pm

I have recently finished a instruction to HCI (human computer interaction) in my degree. In this video, it did mention, areas I’ve been tought, a good video from crash course.

22. WeiZhi Shi on December 8, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Saw David

23. Hunter Morgan on December 8, 2019 at 7:51 pm

So…. where does that phone number lead?

24. pgo eds on December 8, 2019 at 7:52 pm

8:48 – David J Malan of Harvard

25. User670 on December 8, 2019 at 7:52 pm

"Delete? Remove? Trash?"
    You know what, command line interfaces are still common, used even by non-technical people, in the form of bots in chat rooms. These bots do various things, some for fun (eg. !roll -> rolls a dice), some have a practical use (eg. !faq shows some commonly asked questions of a software). Even it’s simple as that, there can still be design choices that improve usability – the easiest one being allowing aliases (i.e. alternative names or spellings) of commands. I can make my bot delete something if you type "delete", and I can make it do the same if you type "del" "remove" as well.

It’d be very annoying to fail to see your !coins for five minutes only to know the correct command is !coin .

26. Byron Watkins on December 8, 2019 at 7:52 pm

Since about 95% of posts are mere reposts, is it really surprising that supplying negative posts results in more negative posts? I expect that this has nothing to do with altering the users’ behaviors.

27. Georgia Kesisoglou on December 8, 2019 at 7:53 pm

please make a video about bioinformatics

28. Thick Marisa on December 8, 2019 at 7:54 pm

A lot of this is more about social control but presented in a positive frame.

29. Tyson Littlewolfe on December 8, 2019 at 7:55 pm

The man who doesn’t exist ^^ (;)

30. Will Cee on December 8, 2019 at 7:55 pm

More videos about computer science.

31. Blugale Doh on December 8, 2019 at 7:56 pm

When she said that computer can seem to be looking at us, the video pause and her eye is looking at the camera wide open.

32. ihartevil on December 8, 2019 at 7:56 pm

i have seen basic to understand doors say push or pull on them

i think people just dont know how to use doors

thx for this interestingly ha bisky vid i loved this a lot and even with automatic doors you can sometimes push them or pull them so they still have directions on them

33. Connor -J- Evans on December 8, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Love the triangle wave in the background instead of the sinusoid lol

34. Galew All Blanco on December 8, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Is your gaze augmented carrie anne?

35. Tatiana Searle on December 8, 2019 at 8:00 pm

– Welcome to our "Windows 10 course for absolute beginners". To start, click on the Start button with your mouse. Or press the Windows key.
    – Where are they?
    – The Start button is the thing in the bottom left corner of the screen. It does not say Start, or look like a button, but you’ll figure it out…
    – And the Windows key?
    – Easy! It has a picture on it. Looks like 4 tiles, or maybe a flag.
    – Thanks! I don’t know what I would have done without you! It’s not like this thing has a tutorial…
    – Of course not! We are in the 21st century! Tutorials are so 1995!

36. DBR Liamg on December 8, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Great video, interesting topic.

37. Maddie O'Keeffe on December 8, 2019 at 8:01 pm

I am doing a major in psychology and artificial intelligence. This was some good information

38. Miklós Pál Márton Molnár on December 8, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Yeah this works for the west…what about the east?

39. northwesteneer on December 8, 2019 at 8:02 pm

This video is RIDICULOUS!You careen in highspeed through a topic called ERGONOMY?You bang bang bang display bang bang bang text on bang bang bang the screen bang bang bang without bang bang bang giving the viewer the bang bang bang chance to bang bang bang read and bang bang bang understand what you display while at the yadda yadda yadda time you yadda yadda yadda dump tons of yadda yadda yadda into the yadda yadda yadda viewers yadda yadda yadda ear? You do not give the slightest chance for the audience to connect the seen and heard information!THIS is NOT ergonomy!This is just a noisy, yet colorful tsunami of merely nothing, a huge pile of waste, that cloggs the brain.Its a big fail.

40. Thomas Busse on December 8, 2019 at 8:05 pm

Telephone numbers of the Public Switched Telephone Network were not invented to be in chunks for our memory. They are a combination of Area + Exchange + Trunk + Line. The primary consideration was not memorability – it was clarity when spoke, the way we say "charlie, bravo, sierra" back when switchboards were operated by an operator. Exchange names were alphanumberic (my family’s number was "Bixby" for 14) on the keypad, and area codes were assigned based on time it took to dial on a rotary phone, with Los Angeles (213), New York (212) and Chicago (312) getting the fastest numbers to call. The area code was grouped by function (you didn’t need to call it if you were on the same exchange, not as a memory tool.

41. Julie Herrick on December 8, 2019 at 8:05 pm

I love the shoutout to ZORK. Oh that brings back memories of my childhood.

42. woodchuck 00 on December 8, 2019 at 8:06 pm

I thought the Facebook study was controversial because they didn’t have consent to experiment on the users in the first place. Not telling your subjects that they are participating in an expirement is preaty unethical.

43. G M on December 8, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Thank you for the video. I really appreciate it!

44. AshnSilvercorp on December 8, 2019 at 8:07 pm

I can tell you one thing about Facebook though.

seeing "Ad coming soon" when I’m passing by a video, make’s me immediately close facebook, and absolutely mad…

45. Mochammad Alif Kurniawan on December 8, 2019 at 8:08 pm

please subtitle indonesia

46. Don Reynolds on December 8, 2019 at 8:09 pm

As for humans treating robots as if they are human and getting mad when they break social norms; we already have a built in solution to this, pets. If the robots seem more like intelligent pets (they are small, they are kind of cute, and they talk in simple sentences) then we will likely give them more leeway.

When my dog steps on my foot and doesn’t apologize I’m upset, but not as upset if my wife did it.

47. Kenny Papara on December 8, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Grace is bangin’ Well done Hank xD

48. dylan carfley on December 8, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Is there any way to find the source material they use or no? I’m doing an apa paper and need sources lol.

49. Tom McMorrow on December 8, 2019 at 8:12 pm

Any professor who demands recall instead of recognition is garbage.

50. TheUmbrellaCorpX7[エヴ] on December 8, 2019 at 8:12 pm

PBS Digital Studios should do a channel about Computer Science and Programming. The only channel on Youtube that exists about that is Computrerphile , but i want more. It makes perfect sense the channel can do videos on Programming Languages, Data Structures, Algorithms, Design, Logic, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Graphics, Software engineering, Virtual Reality, Math for CS, and many more topics in Computer Science, and Software/ Programming and Technology. There is no reason why not to do it.