How to make an old slow computer FAST!

How to make an old slow computer FAST!

Get your next PC from NZXT BLD and save! Start configuring your next system or choose from NZXT BLD Pre-built systems here! – https://nzxt.co/2s2RHLw

○○○○○○ Items featured in this video available at Amazon ○○○○○○

► Amazon US – http://bit.ly/1meybOF
► Amazon UK – http://amzn.to/Zx813L
► Amazon Canada – http://amzn.to/1tl6vc6

Get your JayzTwoCents Merch Here! – https://crowdmade.com/collections/jayztwocents

••• Follow me on your favorite Social Media! •••
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jayztwocents
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jayztwocents
Instagram: http://instagram.com/jayztwocents#
SUBSCRIBE! http://bit.ly/sub2JayzTwoCents

JAYZTWOCENTS

1. bhvm333 on December 15, 2019 at 7:24 pm

Thats actually is a nice computer.

2. Jordan on December 15, 2019 at 7:24 pm

I’v got a i5 3470 and a gtx 750 on my pc from 2012. Upgrading the hdd to ssd and the startup is less than 30 sec and shutdown is nearly immediate. Like a new computer. All thx to to this channel.

3. Wrathlon on December 15, 2019 at 7:27 pm

As as a computer tech for a living in a world where everyone has old 2nd gen Core i whatever onwards which still hold up today, cheap SSDs have been a god send.

The fact is older 8 year old computers are still more than sufficient to support even 1080p gaming just slap in a GPU – but most people dont even game they just watch youtube and check emails and stuff. An 8 year old computer today isnt the same thing as an 8 year old computer from 8 years ago – people think "Oh its slow but its 5, 6, 7, 8 years old so its probably just old and worn defunct" when the reality is it still has the original 5400RPM drive with 40,000 hours on it and its now more like a 2500RPM drive with Alzheimer’s thats sometimes forgets where it left its data.

Some second hand RAM and a cheap SSD and its faster than the cheap budget bottom tier "whatever its a PC" from the local retail shop they were planning to replace it. Further to that if it was even a 1st gen Core i3 there is a solid chance its more powerful as well. So many places selling A9-9425 powered budget SFF computers that get utterly destroyed by even 1st gen i3s.

I’ve been converting the world 1 SSD at a time.

4. Cody Averesch on December 15, 2019 at 7:27 pm

Trust me guys, you need an ssd. I started pc gaming in April. Until that point I had only ever used consoles and was used to thst load time as well as load times with my old laptop from 2011. Then I got a pc and put an ssd in it. The load times are so fast. Then as you get used to that it becomes less cool. Then I made a huge upgrade and got an nvme drive and holy cow. Going back to an Xbox for something or using my work computer is now brutal. I can turn my pc off, on, pick a game and start before my xbox has even loaded past the title screen. Please do yourself a favor and get an ssd.t
    Then there’s me watching this looking just like you guys who haven’t gotten an ssd because I just bought a 4tb hybrid drive to store more stuff on like umm whoops Jay thinks it sucks so now I do too.

5. Dragon Heart on December 15, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Got an old Asus P5N-D sitting in the closet doing nothing that might be a suitable replacement?

6. Kendrick Leiter on December 15, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Dude, you have Microcenter near you. Your RAM prices should reflect that. 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 for $59.99

7. John Dunstan on December 15, 2019 at 7:29 pm

The irony… all this expense and trouble for what? a shoot em up game???

8. Rusty00 on December 15, 2019 at 7:30 pm

I have an LGA775 and it came in the same tower, and I live in southern California

9. 666nacirema666 on December 15, 2019 at 7:38 pm

ive got an asus p5q deluxe somewhere that was a decent board iirc i ran a 771 xeon overclocked in it. good old board,

10. Branden Mullican on December 15, 2019 at 7:38 pm

I had a Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p lga775 motherboard until last year

11. Joey Millette on December 15, 2019 at 7:39 pm

Like a evga ultra sli 790i? I have one of these if you need it.

12. Minh Nguyen Le on December 15, 2019 at 7:41 pm

Wait a minute, America have the best Hardware Prices but the Ram is expensive as fu*k????? You can get some decent 3200Mhz Ram for 140€ 32Gb/ 70€ 16Gb / 40€ 8Gb here in Germany and we have worst Hardware prices.For 100€ you can get cheap 32Gb 3000mhz Aegis Rams.
    Every 2.Hardware Video in Youtube, i see Prices 30-50% cheaper than in Germany and you say 100 Bucks for some 8Gb Ram
    No Way! you must Very very Wrong.

13. progod gamer on December 15, 2019 at 7:41 pm

i have a hdd and think its so slow and will be uppgrading to ssd but im not afraid of tech just saying there is people out there

14. thomas allertz on December 15, 2019 at 7:42 pm

What a bulshit! A 1 TB or even a 2 TB SSD is much to expansive, and under it is Useless for a Gamer, so i stay with my 4 TB HDD Bad Video, sorry

15. ArtisChronicles on December 15, 2019 at 7:42 pm

if you don’t mind the wait times you could look around aliexpress and see what you can find lol

16. Logan Gleason on December 15, 2019 at 7:45 pm

you can get 32gb of ram for around $100 idk what jay is talking about

17. L Tom on December 15, 2019 at 7:45 pm

Hey Jay, I have an Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP@n Motherboard with a Q6600 quad core CPU which is still used daily. It simply won’t die but I’m going to replace it just because, LOL! Let me know if you want to try overclocking it and see if you can kill it. Honestly though, I doubt it.

18. Martin Hill on December 15, 2019 at 7:46 pm

GTA V plays quite fine on 3GHz 45nm (Penryn) Core2Duo, 4GB of RAM and 9600GT 1GB VRAM. Frames per second aren’t hilarious, but it’s manageable – tested that just today after upgrading the system with SSD 🙂

19. AlphaMax on December 15, 2019 at 7:47 pm

I cant wait to finally start using ssd for my new pc im building, I have been using normal hdds on a laptop for a long while now lol.

20. Arno nümuss on December 15, 2019 at 7:47 pm

I know someone, who experienced a horrible SSD as his first SSD.
    And judging by the garbage, that floats around the bay, that might not be a rare experience.

21. mute333tard on December 15, 2019 at 7:48 pm

With the boot times comparing HDD and SSD on this older machine, I think the little difference has to do with the the motherboard not physically being able to utilize the speed of the SSD. The price gap between HDDs and SSDs were way bigger than they are now. Maybe some motherboards 10 or so years ago didn’t support sata speed fast enough to utilize its full potential despite the cost.

22. Alexander Mayhem on December 15, 2019 at 7:50 pm

16GB is starting to become the new "sweet spot".I tended to get stuttering in some titles (low settings too) even though though 8GB was the recommended amount of memory,a good example is Metro Exodus.With 8gb it ran like trash but with 16 even with a GTX 1060 it runs really well.

23. Blade404 on December 15, 2019 at 7:51 pm

SSD > HDD.. as the saying goes.. you can lead a horse to water.. 👍🏻
    Saying that I’ve had similar conversations with ppl about SATA vs NVME SSDs.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

24. Tc4ify on December 15, 2019 at 7:52 pm

Jay, any decent 775 motherboard with a P45 chipset (GIGABYTE EP45-UD3 for instance) is what you want. Coupled with a Q9550/9650 (or even better, a modded 771 E5450 Xeon), which you OC to at least 4 Ghz and 8Gbs of ram (some boards can do 16) you get a remarkably capable system able to make the most out of gtx 970 class gpus, at least in games that aren’t too cpu heavy.

25. Fedora Usado on December 15, 2019 at 7:52 pm

9:10
    1st, it’s not "Luke, I am your father", it’s "No! I am your father!"
    2nd, Darth Vader was voiced by James Earl Jones, not by Arnold Schwarzenegger 😂

26. Akaliptos on December 15, 2019 at 7:53 pm

Damn this guys pc its soooo clean… Like New… So i guess before you lie can you at Least make them dirty like there are old?

27. Sean B on December 15, 2019 at 7:59 pm

Good point when I work on someones computer with hard disk drive. I often want to throw it before Windows gets done booting as often the slowness can be sort of blamed on a highly fragmented drive and for the fact oem’s use a really slow quality drive and I explain we can try to speed up the drive to defragment but as people knows that can take hours to a day. And often they don’t realize how beneficial SSD and just stay with an hdd. I myself fill an ssd is more reliable than hdd as I’ve only seen 1 ssd fail in my lifetime and numerous hdd’s as old as six months fail.

28. Kool TK on December 15, 2019 at 8:00 pm

NO WAYYYY, GA G41 mobo not build for win 10, try runing win 7 instead.

29. porkhash on December 15, 2019 at 8:01 pm

@jay Can I trade my asus p6x58d-e set up for your budget 4k setup? 🙇‍♂️

30. Hisham Jalal on December 15, 2019 at 8:01 pm

How to make an old pc fast:

Replace all the parts

31. Nathan Mitts on December 15, 2019 at 8:02 pm

Jay i know you probably dont want o spend to uch money on this but new egg has a EVGA NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard for $200.

32. Jj Mn on December 15, 2019 at 8:03 pm

10tb ssd price: 30,000$ 10tb hdd 200$

33. Ohmegroin on December 15, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Couldn’t agree more with the HDD to SSD upgrade. Got one about a year ago when I decided to start upgrading my system. Night and day of a difference.

34. Agent Smith 18 on December 15, 2019 at 8:04 pm

I would gladly try the SSD experience sadly i got no $$D in poket right now

35. Jon Doe on December 15, 2019 at 8:08 pm

I own an old HP SFF machine, "dc5100" (you know: those small business computers) with a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 (single core, dual thread) and 4 GB of RAM (I believe). It runs Linux Mint 19 (and Bunsenlabs Linux) and it is a quite, well, useable relic. I can even watch YouTube videos on it. 🙂

I think that 3 GHz Pentium does it. And Linux Mint, of course.

36. raqno on December 15, 2019 at 8:08 pm

What are you talking about Jay? 16gb ddr4 3000mhz are like 50€ here. 100$ for 8gb? Where do you get those numbers? Is it that different in NA?

37. Arno nümuss on December 15, 2019 at 8:10 pm

With the core2 CPUs I noticed some examples, that can hardly be overclocked, but undervolting is very effective.
    For example I had a C2Q, that ran full stock clock on 1.1V and never become loud, even with a stock cooler. So those can be re-purposed as efficient office or internet box.

38. Brian Kitchens on December 15, 2019 at 8:12 pm

Reasons not to boot from SSD:

39. Juancho Lopez on December 15, 2019 at 8:14 pm

May I recommend that you can also use Readyboost to help Windows on the Hard Disk

40. Roman Bellic on December 15, 2019 at 8:14 pm

I’m too poor, I can’t even afford a cheap SSD.

41. Amonny on December 15, 2019 at 8:14 pm

I didn’t just went to SSD’s… I went past them, to the M2’s. Sporting 2 M2’s in my system, and the cable management is saying THANK YOU! Screw you, HDDs!!!

42. Jim Smith on December 15, 2019 at 8:15 pm

Just for fun: Rate my build!
    All parts came from a thrift store I’m employed at. Total investment: $90!!

Msi 970 motherboard
    AMD FX 6600
    Evga GTX 550 TI
    16gb hyper x ram (4x4gb)
    750w Corsair PSU
    2 22 inch TV’s for monitors
    2 500gb hdd

43. Derick Wolters on December 15, 2019 at 8:15 pm

Hey JayzTwoCents I have a question. I have a PC from back 2016 and my motherboard can only use a certain graphics cards because i tried getting RX 570 but it was too big for the pins, I tried a 1650 with a single fan it fits but it doesn’t work with my motherboard. Could you suggest a video card that will fit as to pins and also compatible with my mother board, the graphics card i have is from 2014 but not sure what year the motherboard is. The motherboard is a gigabyte brand?

44. Michael Zak on December 15, 2019 at 8:16 pm

a better way to test is time it to the point you click on chrome and it allows you to search, getting to the login is easy

45. Poli on December 15, 2019 at 8:17 pm

People still believe in all these old terrible ssd myths from like a decade ago. I don’t think these people really understand just how much expected data you can write to a modern ssd.

46. CYB3RFR34K on December 15, 2019 at 8:18 pm

first: install windows 95

47. MattiCore on December 15, 2019 at 8:18 pm

U could have my old, I bought in 2010 – still work until 2 month agos – then the mb died after 9 years 😀

"AMD Phenom II 1090T 6x4Ghz" CPU on a "MSI 870-G54" Mainboard with 16GB RAM "2x4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz CL9 Geil & 2x4Gb DDR3 CL9 1333Mhz Crosair" & 4Gb Graphicscard "Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X WindForce 3X OC" in a "Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl" complete with "be quiet!" fans, 750W "High Current Gamer" PSU from Antec & an AIO "Cooler Master Nepton 140XL" for the CPU!

48. DrakkonVulture on December 15, 2019 at 8:19 pm

An SSD is the best upgrade you could do hands down. I think the scariest part is actually how to put your data onto the new drive, which I still struggle with, but it’s okay! Maybe we need a new guide that shows step by step how to get everything from one drive to another, Jay 😛

49. Eisenhower303 on December 15, 2019 at 8:20 pm

Core 2 Duos were so solid. Definitely still valuable if paired with decent gpu

50. EighteenXVIII on December 15, 2019 at 8:22 pm

I invested in a Define R6 and a Corsair RM750x (the latter I got discounted at $90). With a 10-year warranty on the PSU and a case that has tons of room for expansion I’m set.