Computer science is for everyone | Hadi Partovi | TEDxRainier

Computer science is for everyone | Hadi Partovi | TEDxRainier

This talk was given at a local TEDx event, produced independently of the TED Conferences. This persuasive talk shows how essential and easy it is to gain a basic understanding of computer science learning principles. Our world increasingly driven by technology and software, so we all need to know the creative, problem-solving power of computer science. This is especially important to students who will lead the way in our shared future. Learn how you can take the next step at http://code.org .

Hadi Partovi learned computer science so he could have games to play on the computer his father gave him (a Commodore 64) when he was 10 years old in Iran. Since then he has worked as computer programmer and also as an entrepreneur, investor, and as co-founder of Code.org, a nonprofit dedicated to growing computer science education in the US and worldwide. Hadi has been Microsoft’s Group Program Manager for Internet Explorer, was General Manager of MSN.com where he helped deliver 30% annual growth and MSN’s only year of profit. He was on the founding teams of Tellme and iLike. As an angel investor and startup advisor, Hadi’s portfolio includes Facebook, Zappos, Dropbox, airbnb, OPOWER, Flixster, Bluekai, TASER, and many others.

About TEDx, x = independently organized event In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)

1. Brakemi Linus on December 18, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Happy to be a computer science student

2. juan diego on December 18, 2019 at 7:27 pm

CS should be teached alongside everything as it has a link with every possible subject you could ever study.

3. Juan Carlos Gallegos on December 18, 2019 at 7:27 pm

To get a different perspective, check out PolyMatter’s video "Not Everyone Should Code"

4. Pia Santos on December 18, 2019 at 7:33 pm

I took up computer science for 4years in junior high school. I regret not listening attentively hmmmm now I only know the topics but not how to do it!!!! How can I start again?

5. Armando Castro on December 18, 2019 at 7:34 pm

What a great talk from Xavier.

6. wootuser on December 18, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Looks like a lot of CNN staff will be learning to code.
    MAGA

7. Smoof on December 18, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Watching this in my Computer Science class

8. Popp'n on December 18, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Coding is for everyone but not computer science

9. Graydiation on December 18, 2019 at 7:35 pm

What happen to teaching adults about Computer Science?

10. Steven Z on December 18, 2019 at 7:36 pm

Yeah but I can’t take Computer Science until my senior year of high school, all these 4th graders bout flex on me and take my job

11. Jerome Kinnear on December 18, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Listen to George Carlin if you want to know what the American dream is about, this guy is an Iraqi who’s sold his soul to the same entity who almost bombed him and his family.

12. Xylan on December 18, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Just like medicine is for everyone

13. Chinemelum j on December 18, 2019 at 7:41 pm

Hands down best video I have watched about Computer Science

14. M Idrees on December 18, 2019 at 7:41 pm

Can somebody recommend a good book to start.Thank you

15. Jean Stewart on December 18, 2019 at 7:44 pm

What a brilliant speaker. I appreciate that he stood and didn’t move. The effect was I listened instead of being distracted by him moving and gesturing. As a result of his presentation I intend to take his advice to learn more about computer science. Thank you Hadi Partovi for being a person who has changed the world with your passion and knowledge.

16. Esky Dinpuia Chhangte on December 18, 2019 at 7:44 pm

CAMERA CREW : At last we got one

17. the_Traveller on December 18, 2019 at 7:48 pm

Love your motherland man. It’s one of the few countries that refuses to be bullied by America. Otherwise great talk!

18. korene17 on December 18, 2019 at 7:48 pm

Its how it is taught that is frustrating. The curriculum for computer science and coding is full of holes, and then they want you to fill the gap. Math and science is not taught like this. When we change the way we teach it a lot more people will be able to get it.

19. Ron Rivero on December 18, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Agriculture is the future since year 0

20. Before&After on December 18, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Big Like (Y) 🙂

21. Healthy Tips on December 18, 2019 at 7:50 pm

22. andrzej21111 on December 18, 2019 at 7:50 pm

The guy is telling foolish stories about himself. Typical clichés.

23. Halima Hassan on December 18, 2019 at 7:52 pm

Amazing,thank you

24. Interesting Stuff on December 18, 2019 at 7:53 pm

What classes should you take in high school if you are going computer science path?

25. I am First on December 18, 2019 at 7:53 pm

That was a good Lecture, We are also working on the technology/computers, Thank you That was really informative As well as motivating.

26. Mahdi Zamani on December 18, 2019 at 7:54 pm

🇮🇷

27. PooleParty24/7 on December 18, 2019 at 7:55 pm

It was because I took two computer science classes in high school that I was able to build my own desktop PC

28. Juanita U. Sandoval on December 18, 2019 at 7:57 pm

The Hour of Code sounds incredible! I am not familiar with it but will be looking into it for my children and future students. I can see the necessity for students to learn computer science, especially for future job markets. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

29. Four stroke killer on December 18, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Not sure if I want to study to be a programmer or computer technician.
    I’m 15 years old.

30. John Wick on December 18, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Can’t decide either to do this or electric engineer

31. aman gupta on December 18, 2019 at 8:03 pm

how xexure computer

32. Jacob yt on December 18, 2019 at 8:06 pm

i have cancer and crippling depression but anyway computer science is great.

33. Shibby Shibs on December 18, 2019 at 8:06 pm

Wow weird I never watch these decided to this one time and it’s guy from Iran like my family

34. Zack on December 18, 2019 at 8:10 pm

The people who say "computer science isn’t for everyone" is missing the point. It is not about whether you like the subject or not. In his whole talk, he is saying computer science is as *necessary* as math/biology/physics etc. We do not learn these subjects because it is fun in school. We learn them because it helps us to operate and appreciate the world better.

Just like how math helps us to understand the purchases we make, the loans we take and the value of the item we pay for, a basic understanding of computer science helps us understand how the internet works, how gadgets communicate, how these technologies can impact our lives. Do not wait for the next Cambridge Analytica saga and pretend to be interested in technology.

35. Amir Jamili on December 18, 2019 at 8:10 pm

I’m also a computer science graduate from Iran and i’m completely agree with the transformation of this field which is happening to the world.

36. EviL_Miky on December 18, 2019 at 8:10 pm

Кто из декабря 2018?

37. The Entrepreneur on December 18, 2019 at 8:11 pm

I like the idea and also the are of study but all have to realize computer science isn’t for everyone. Of course when it’s simple and for fun anything is easy to do and follow but when programming an App becomes hard and you need to deal with bugs or the code is not compiling, maybe you have to use more mathematical logic which some people prefer to avoid. All that is hard stuff, for example for years our school systems has been preaching the idea of going to college to have better opportunities well we all know college isn’t for everyone. Of course I would love my kids to study computer science but if it isn’t for them then I can’t force it on them. Computer science knowledge is like anything, either you use it or loose it.
    My opinion of course

38. Jacob L. on December 18, 2019 at 8:11 pm

I love computer science but wtf it is NOT for everyone Lol

39. Steven Demartini on December 18, 2019 at 8:13 pm

iv met and talked with people and they just don’t have what it takes to do this stuff and they dont have the heart for it. this is not for everyone it really isn’t even some of the people in it now hate the idea of writing code they just want the degree to open opertunities for them in consulting or someother managment positions

40. Loral ridz on December 18, 2019 at 8:14 pm

can I study software or computer field if I haven’t studied computer as a basic in college ??

41. Harkunwar Singh on December 18, 2019 at 8:14 pm

Im an indian in grade 11 with main subjects: physics, bio and chemistry. I wanna get into Computer Science in a canadian or US uni but alnost everyone of them require high school maths. Is my dream dead or can i still realise it?? Please help if you can.

42. Donna Ortega on December 18, 2019 at 8:16 pm

Watching this while in my computer science class lol xD

43. Firedude 1 on December 18, 2019 at 8:16 pm

No its not

44. Omar Rana on December 18, 2019 at 8:18 pm

Wow good job! Vey beneficial.

45. Cameron Fitzpatrick on December 18, 2019 at 8:19 pm

lol sure that wasn’t his little sister he showed?

46. The Psychic Economist on December 18, 2019 at 8:21 pm

THATS HOW I GOT STARTED WITH CODING
    …except for the whole bombing part but yeah

47. vrsto on December 18, 2019 at 8:22 pm

glad to be a CS student

48. dis microwave tech support on December 18, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Lol my school has so many computer science classes including cyber security and some other stuff. So many pathways and I LOVE IT

49. Karsten Greenwell on December 18, 2019 at 8:23 pm