Scrap Cell Phones aren't worth much for Gold Recovery

Scrap Cell Phones aren't worth much for Gold Recovery

If your stacking cell phones you get for free then that’s great, but if your paying for scrap cell phones then you might consider the low recovery value in a single mobile phone, about $1 on average, $2 at best.

Check out my recommended safety products, Furnaces & stuff on amazon.. https://www.amazon.com/shop/ewasteben

Selling your cell phones can be more profitable, often bulk lots sell for $2-$4 per phone and much more for newer models.

Visit us at http://scrapforum.com.au to talk bout all scrap metl subjects.

1. Accel Well on December 19, 2019 at 8:46 pm

The amount of bullshit you will go through with this is not worth it. The amount of time you will burn the amount of chemicals you will need much less fireing up a crucible. Yeah fk this.

2. Eph Payne on December 19, 2019 at 8:50 pm

F**n TROLLS. "Don’t go out and buy these"13:00. Get the message. if you’re dyslexic, I apoligise becoz he spelt et out plane an clare!

3. MissionScrappr Will on December 19, 2019 at 8:50 pm

Yesterday I Scraped 22 Phones, weighing 1.8 Lbs, that’s like a kg & a half.
    Scrapyard buys boards $3.00 a lb.

4. hucks33 on December 19, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Hi Ben, are the sim cards worth keeping for gold recovery?

5. Bams ajj on December 19, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Nice info friend. But i think the problem is your mobile scrap price is more expensive. In my country indonesia only us$ 0.22/pcs and i can get 5-6 gram of 23k gold from 1 kg mobile’s ic chip. Fyi, i need 400 pcs mobile to get 1 kg ic chip. After that i got profit too from silver, pcb without ic, plastic cover for that. I can get 100% profit for that.

6. Matty Reardon on December 19, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Blackberries gave the most gold I have found. I worked at The tip for a while. I pocketed a mobile phone nearly everyday I was there. Didn’t cost me a cent.

7. Yasin Shaik on December 19, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Im New

8. Shane York on December 19, 2019 at 8:57 pm

I remember my 1st phone I got scrapping it was a Samsung Smart phone, I was really exited thinking I hit the jackpot for gold recovery. Then I looked it up and seen this video. So I never scrapped it. I’ve got a box with a bunch in it now. Not as exited when I get them now as I was with the 1st one. But I guess that goes with everything, the 1st is almost always the biggest rush!!!

9. Boris Petrov on December 19, 2019 at 9:01 pm

thanks for video

10. Unique TechChip on December 19, 2019 at 9:02 pm

Plz give me ur whatsapp number

11. Perry Seay on December 19, 2019 at 9:04 pm

you also have to figure in the batteries which are lithium ion they are wortb money also and the screens are worth money also if they work, people will pay 100 dollars or more… so if people are smart you can make a lot more!!!!!

12. Mr Hollabk on December 19, 2019 at 9:07 pm

Ben, thanks much for this upload. I have a question though.. Dont you think you would have gotten much more out of the phone boards if you would have removed the green solder mask? From my expirience the "visible" gold plating is not all you can get from these type of boards. I usually remove the green solder mask in boiling water /w Lye to check whats under the surface.Cheers Buddy

13. Don Deal on December 19, 2019 at 9:07 pm

sounds like you’re just tryna get ppl to stop collecting old phones

14. Infinitee Prospecting on December 19, 2019 at 9:07 pm

674 phones 433 old flip phones $3 a piece anyone

15. Rocksolid64 on December 19, 2019 at 9:07 pm

How about HD tvs and printers too?
    But gold has been suppressed. Hold on to those babies and take the rocket ride!

16. Lucky Linda 63 on December 19, 2019 at 9:08 pm

I am new to your channel. thanks for tutorial. Very helpful!! Linda from Southern California

17. Pwnsolo Timelord on December 19, 2019 at 9:08 pm

Yea i wouldn’t buy them right now but getting em free they are fun to take apart while watching some television or something. Im trying to convince some people that opening a digital recycling plant would be a little profitable if done on a large scale and also help the community with the ever growing problem of all our technology filling up the landfills. Your videos are great to show people who know nothing about the process Thanks so much for putting them up all the time

18. Wiz Kid on December 19, 2019 at 9:10 pm

And gold?

19. louiseleu on December 19, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Ben..I thought you’re a serious person.
    You scrap wires,you cut gold painted fingers of paper thin ribbon …and you try now to convince us that there’s no enough gold in cell phones…really?!
    By percent,there is way much gold in a cell phone than in a computer.
    It is bad,and sad.

20. Perry Seay on December 19, 2019 at 9:11 pm

But you are right the newer the phone the lesss gold but if you can find super old cell phones and car phones you will expect a lot bigger return!!!ohones from 80 and early 90s

21. Meta Folish on December 19, 2019 at 9:12 pm

Fake video. I can not believe video

22. Wiz Kid on December 19, 2019 at 9:12 pm

What about mlcc’s and smd’s

23. Kevin Sturgess on December 19, 2019 at 9:13 pm

I’m new to your forum as well and i think it’s great,thanks for all your knowledge.If you get a chance,look up scrapper girl on youtube about cell phones,she has a place she sends them to without dismantling them and gets good returns.

24. luz aida arias on December 19, 2019 at 9:13 pm

Traduccion en espanol por favor

25. Adam Steven on December 19, 2019 at 9:14 pm

THESE COULD BE SOLD!

26. Yasin Shaik on December 19, 2019 at 9:14 pm

Hello sir im yasin from India which company SMB {sodium metabisulfite} is the best & praise im in confuse Plz help thanks

27. Brasspineapple Productions on December 19, 2019 at 9:15 pm

LG Optimus S LS670 Android (Froyo) have much more gold then you would assume.

28. Kallubanti Ramesh on December 19, 2019 at 9:16 pm

hai india style gold remove please telme or post kallubanti@gmail.com

29. bems44 on December 19, 2019 at 9:17 pm

nice ben thanks!!

30. レトト武田 on December 19, 2019 at 9:17 pm

I have 2.4 ton 1kg cell phone board have 1.7-2.2 gram gold

31. jason lynch on December 19, 2019 at 9:18 pm

yeah sure there not worth it..don’t pay attention to the 100 phones i have here on the table…lol

32. MissionScrappr Will on December 19, 2019 at 9:22 pm

But Also The Batteries, Chips, cut Gold Plugs off, wires, the Brass, Aluminum, Metal Screws, added up all together is also the same price as the boards.
    I Jus Scraped my last Cell Phone = 24 phone 2 kg, = $6 for the boards & $6 for the metals = $12. That’s .50 cents a piece.
    The person that says you are wrong needs to present the facts on Who to sale the boards to so we all can make more money.
    what i jus made isn’t even a $1.00 a board.

33. james palmer on December 19, 2019 at 9:23 pm

This seems like a scheme to get people to sell their phones to you for a dollar or less so you can get the 2 – 5 $ in gold value out in the future lol !! Lmao nice try

34. আম‌ি হবিষ্ট on December 19, 2019 at 9:23 pm

orginal or fake . this gold ?

35. Noe D. Martinez on December 19, 2019 at 9:29 pm

Hi. To a degree you are correct, it is the older phones that have the most gold. If you are going to do gold recovery get the older phones not the newer ones.
    For me i get phones that are not miro usb or anything apple.

36. Alex Rodriguez on December 19, 2019 at 9:31 pm

How to take apart a cell phone with screwdriver and not touching the screws love it.

37. vasile lebedov on December 19, 2019 at 9:33 pm

nice I’m from Romania,Europe and your idea is very cool

38. Kevin J on December 19, 2019 at 9:35 pm

Let me start by saying that I really do enjoy your videos eWaste Ben so don’t get me wrong or take it personal when I say…. you’re dead wrong. Most of the sources I read says there is at least $5 worth of gold in each phone BUT there’s a bigger story here…

I don’t have a nice piece of paper like your’s with information written on it however I do have several news articles that talks about Apple and how they harvested $39.6 million worth of gold from recycled phones last year.

Several news sources stated that Apple extracted 2,204 pounds of recycled gold in 2015 from old phones. Out of 63 million pounds of scrap material they also collected 23 million pounds of steel, 13 million pounds of plastic, and the rest made up of glass, aluminum, copper, cobalt, nickle, lead, zinc, tin and silver. Sure the ratio of scrap to gold is low BUT almost $40 million… hard to argue with that in just one year of scraping the phones.

I mean no offense by my comment but this time you’re wrong. Anyone who says scrap cell phones aren’t worth much has clearly missed that Apple and a number of other companies have made hundreds of millions over the past decade. If you don’t think it’s worth it then send me your scrap phones. 🙂

39. Heins Gomez on December 19, 2019 at 9:38 pm

your equation is incorrect. value the amount of gold you get from everyone..at the price of gold today $1200.00 a troy ounce is worth it..

40. Danny Davies on December 19, 2019 at 9:39 pm

Hi Ben. there are some buyers of phones, who want them to send to Asia, they don’t care the damage the recycling does to the countries and the people living there. many governments have signed up to the 1994 Basel Convention to stop e-Waste getting into Asia. but are losing the battle to corruption, just Google recycling e-Waste in Asia and see the destruction recycling e-Waste is doing

41. john smith on December 19, 2019 at 9:40 pm

what is thah gold processing??

42. GreatScott on December 19, 2019 at 9:43 pm

good stuff Ben.  as you said they make good filler when doing the final processing from computer boards.

43. cr phililps on December 19, 2019 at 9:43 pm

hi ben ….Dont forget there are other precious metals in phones…..one for example is iridium in touch phone screens….check it out…..we are running out of iridium at a rapid rate . Happy scrapping!

44. itillbeme1 on December 19, 2019 at 9:44 pm

After having worked with a lot of refiners: Refiners do not and will not share accurate information on their precious metal recycling. The numbers they publish are not the TRUE numbers, they make a lot more in the extracting process than they let on. The numbers in how much they extract are closely guarded, and you can take that to the bank.