I Hate the "No Cell Phones in School" Rule || The Myth of Cell Phone Distraction in School

“No cell phones in school” is a stupid school rule and is a useless attempt at getting kids to pay attention and learn something in class. Teachers complain that cell phone distraction in school is why students can’t pay attention. This is one of the common myths about school! Students can’t pay attention in school because what they’re forced to learn is irrelevant to them! So, should cell phones be allowed in school? Why should students be turned into criminals just because they carry a cell phone their parents gave to them? If school was really about education, if it was interesting and relevant, if students had a voice in what and how they learned, then cell phone distraction would not be an issue in school. I don’t agree with why no cell phones are allowed in school.

Here are some reasons why I hate hearing that a school has a cell phone ban.

TIMESTAMPS FOR THE SKIPPERS:
Reason #1: “No Cell phones! Here’s a Laptop.” – 00:41
Reason #2: Cell phones Aren’t the Problem – 01:27
Reason #3: People Aren’t Robots – 02:19
Reason #4: I Don’t Want Your Stuff – 03:13
Reason #5: We’re All Criminals Now – 04:02
Conclusion – 04:55

The Substitute Teacher: Tips, Thoughts, Stories Series will last for 4 weeks (starting Jan. 10, 2017) with at least 2 videos each week being added to the playlist. Make sure you SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss a thing!

SUBSCRIBE to CapOhTV by using this link:

School is a Joke. Don’t be the punchline. The goal of CapOhTV is to point out why school is not important and why every person needs to take responsibility for his or her own education. (And it’s not CapoTV. It’s not Capo TV. And it’s definitely not Capoh TV. It’s CAPOHTV!)

1. Get Ass on December 20, 2019 at 8:52 pm

School: forces kids to do hours of homework, stressful tests , and 7 hours of school
    Also school: *phone are causing our precious students stress*

2. Mad Bob on December 20, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Recently, at my school, they made agendas electronic. They then preceded to ban phones.

3. Hotwheels wwe championship on December 20, 2019 at 8:53 pm

Well man smartphones are not allowed to play smartphones to the schools just like my school my school is public schools are not allowed to have smartphones.

4. S S on December 20, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Nobody gives a damn what you hate. Phones and laptops should be shielded in schools. Just like hospitals, you walk through the door BAM!!! no service. Why??? Because kids prove over and over again that they abuse every privilege they are given. They need to learn respect. Teachers are fucking losers today.

5. Code Vrain on December 20, 2019 at 8:54 pm

In my school your not allowed to use your phone during all school hours including lunch times and break times which I think is just plain dumb.

6. The young moviegoer on December 20, 2019 at 8:55 pm

I hate it . I’m autistic and at lunch etc I like to use my headphones to block sounds and shit and listen to music . I’m not one of them assholes who messes around on my phone in class

7. amd dude on December 20, 2019 at 8:57 pm

I had one teacher call me out in front of my classmates because I turned on my phone to look at the time. I don’t have a clock. Great.

8. Spencer on December 20, 2019 at 8:58 pm

My school just banned cell phones at school which is trash

9. Neil Patel on December 20, 2019 at 9:00 pm

Please come to Huntsville high school

10. LuigiChamp Number 1 on December 20, 2019 at 9:01 pm

Can you come to oparc and be a substitute teacher

11. Jodan Gallegos on December 20, 2019 at 9:02 pm

You are meen very very meen jerk👎💩💢😴😥💔👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎💩

12. Jasmine Cova on December 20, 2019 at 9:02 pm

Sir be my teacher cause you speak truth

13. CapOhTV on December 20, 2019 at 9:04 pm

TIMESTAMPS FOR THE SKIPPERS:
    Reason #1: "No Cellphones! Here’s a Laptop." – 00:41
    Reason #2: Cellphones Aren’t the Problem – 01:27
    Reason #3: People Aren’t Robots – 02:19
    Reason #4: I Don’t Want Your Stuff – 03:13
    Reason #5: We’re All Criminals Now – 04:02
    Conclusion – 04:55

14. Moonlight on December 20, 2019 at 9:06 pm

My teacher just takes my phone for the day and gives it back at the end of the day.•w•

15. Patricia Star on December 20, 2019 at 9:10 pm

We can bring our phone but we have to turn them in and get them at the end of the day I dont see the point of bringing it than 😑 and for all we know they could be going through them and if ur caught with ur phone out its confiscated and it’s $25 to get it back what an outrageous rule

16. Lucian MacAndrew on December 20, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Well, I am a real teacher, and not just a substitute, and if you care about children and teens’ education, you are pro a cell phone ban. Most students simply cannot handle them. That is really on their parents, but, us teachers cannot do the parenting as well, it is simply not up to us to teach kids to not play with social media during lessons.

17. The Rational Man on December 20, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Solution: You only have to be present twice a week per class. If the cellphone use interrupts class, you are to leave and that day will not count toward your total of 2 days present per week. You can absolutely stay all 5 days for every class but if you choose not to, it’s free time. Have hall monitors and more activities for kids to do throughout the day. If someone wants to heavily pursue Basketball let them.

18. BigNick 79 on December 20, 2019 at 9:13 pm

Why would you take away a computer and give them another computer

19. whenindoubt mutemyownmouth on December 20, 2019 at 9:14 pm

The law also requires kids to go to school regardless if they give a damn about school, they can get arrested for NOT going. So even if we went back in time to the mid 1980’s you’d see kids passing notes and ignoring the lesson.

20. Recorder the camera demon on December 20, 2019 at 9:16 pm

My school was pretty chill with the phone rule with the exception of a few teachers we had this system called green rooms and red rooms if u had a green room class phones were allowed to be used for educational purposes or listening to music if things get too noisy if you’re in a red room it was obviously not allowed because people were using them too much there

21. Cristian C on December 20, 2019 at 9:17 pm

suck up to the audience bro, you’re doing good work. Just read Steve Jobs biography, he wouldn’t let his kids around table with phones or tablets. Read Hooked by Nir Eyal. Read. You’re apeasing to your teenage rebelious audience with Bullshit. Consumer technology is designed to be distracting and addictive.

22. Steven Pivornik on December 20, 2019 at 9:17 pm

For all you numbnuts out there that pay homage to your phones and cannot go on living life without them, all I have to say is SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP!!!!!

23. Daniel Rittegar on December 20, 2019 at 9:20 pm

One day we should banned all technology we dont need it what’s so ever

24. Temiloluwa Oluseye on December 20, 2019 at 9:20 pm

i agree, but what do you have to say about cyber bullying in schools

25. yeetus on December 20, 2019 at 9:20 pm

My school just started forbidding cellphones. The thing is, 11th and 12th graders CAN use their phone. I’m not 11th grade yet, so I can’t. But I think it’s useless. Their reasons were so that we "move more". We won’t move any more if they forbid phones. No. We’ll just talk to people whilst standing still, not moving in any sort of way. So the rule is entirely useless.

26. Clorox Bleach on December 20, 2019 at 9:20 pm

Instead of blocking phones, they should teach us how to use it for educational purposes. Ig, in the future, say we need to look something up in order to get information, they never taught me how to find a safe and reliable website. Instead, we learn how to get all the information on Google in our minds. (impossible btw) so what do I do when I need to look up something very complex for an average user? Either I’ll know which website is correct and know how to look up backup information or, I’ll just trust the first sentence on Wikipedia (just like how we all cheat on work because we all know the teacher doesn’t read the whole thing).

27. I agree on December 20, 2019 at 9:21 pm

This makes no sense at all

28. OwenHartWWF on December 20, 2019 at 9:22 pm

Teacher: *takes phone* you will know that your phones are mine now and that’s the bottom line cause stone cold said so! But for real this is basically the only adult that understands about school being a pain. in. the. a**

29. I Like Beans on December 20, 2019 at 9:28 pm

(*’▽’*) I agree about everything

30. Dylan P. on December 20, 2019 at 9:28 pm

Here’s one thing I always think about, that interpolates with your fourth reason: What if there’s an emergency, and we all have to leave immediately?

My phone, while also containing recreational stuff such as games and whatnot, also contains the one way ticket to *emergency services and my loved-ones.* If something happens and we need to evacuate the building, I would expect to have the monolith that allows me to call out to others for support. Every day, for every class, we’re required to turn in our phones to this wall-mounted pocket holder that sometimes isn’t even securely mounted. (Though it’s actually really rare that I end up having to put it up there, as most of the time the teachers forget to ask. Not complaining though.) Chances are, I should have access to that thing at a moment’s notice. Why should I have to rely on SOMEBODY ELSE to contact people and call for help? It only makes things more complicated.

I could ramble on, but I’m sure you (any anybody else reading) get the point. Thanks again, have my subscription.

31. Maia Prince on December 20, 2019 at 9:30 pm

i had a class debate and this really helped, thanks dude

32. crystalline on December 20, 2019 at 9:30 pm

*guys please agree on “banning cellphones at school” just for our debatee pleaseeeeed*

33. wolf bane on December 20, 2019 at 9:31 pm

I remember in school like whenever we got the laptops that we would do the working right down and do some research but most of the time I would listen to music and watching music videos and downloading music

34. Jay Boag on December 20, 2019 at 9:31 pm

Me because I don’t where a watch and I’m to lazy to look at the clock: checks time
    Teacher: PUT YOUR PHONE AWAY NOW OR IM TAKING IT.
    Me: BOI YOUR THE ONE THATS ALWAYS TEXTING AND CRAP
    Teacher:OMG YOU SAID THE C WORD THAT BADDD OMG
    Me:ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I hate you

35. Natalye andTayla on December 20, 2019 at 9:32 pm

To long

36. PDM Aviation on December 20, 2019 at 9:34 pm

were not allowed to use our phones even during lunch

EVEN DURING LUNCH ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!?!

37. SkyNick on December 20, 2019 at 9:38 pm

Cellphones are banned in our school… if they find a phone from us they’ll either take it forever or will break it in front of our eyes 🙁

38. Justin Turner on December 20, 2019 at 9:38 pm

Man, you are so uneducated. Every single study done, shows data about how cell phones directly impact their ability to learn. Its a simple thing called "working memory", do a little research and quit pandering to people with your idiotic opinion. There is not one single shred of data that supports your opinion, but there happens to be mountains of data and research, showing how negatively cell phones are to kids learning. Lets not mention the fact that teen suicide has sky rocketed since 2005, and teen anxiety and depression is up 70%, crazy considering we live in the most peaceful time in human history. But according to you cell phones are ok for kids to just run amuck on. I work full time (not a substitute) for one of the largest middle schools in the country and I can assure you, cell phones are a huge problem. If you don’t believe me, call San Mateo High School, largest High School in the country and they will be happy to share with you how positive the ban on cell phones has been in there school.

39. J Ribs on December 20, 2019 at 9:39 pm

I sub middle school. Schools that allow cell phone use after completing assignments make the classroom far more productive and peaceful. Just ban them during lessons. They know they get a reward if they finish their work, and that reward is being silent and allowing me to do my job. Cell phone bans are horrible, and I won’t enforce them.

40. justMASHIRO on December 20, 2019 at 9:40 pm

Americans are dumber than I expected

41. AN_ ARMY on December 20, 2019 at 9:42 pm

well…. my phone just got confiscated by my teacher today… bruh I never even took it out. I just brought it today for the sake of my friend’s birthday after school that I will be heading to. I can’t even call my mom…

42. Daniel Rusman on December 20, 2019 at 9:43 pm

In college, it’s completely different. Most Professors literally don’t give a damn about cell phone usage in class. Even the ones that do won’t confiscate your phone, the worst they’ll do is ask you to leave the class.

43. ARandomMishMash _ on December 20, 2019 at 9:43 pm

All my teachers were amazing! They really did not care when we use our devices for learning but the FUCKING DISTRICT RULES are MORE ENFORCED seriously some teachers are as bored as us because of the cellphone rule! It even makes them annoyed!

44. Aaron Olafson on December 20, 2019 at 9:44 pm

This is a reason why you are a "SUBSTITUTE MILLENIAL MORON". I teach in Asia and they arent permitted phones in class and must wear uniforms. It automatically takes away the nonsense distractions and petty competition of who looks better drivel. No wonder Aasia is ahead of our country as far as acedemia is concerned.

45. FaZe STORM56 on December 20, 2019 at 9:45 pm

so im in 8th grade and today i was given a referral for texting my mom in class. i was just asking her if she could bring my stomch pills.

46. Becky Feldman on December 20, 2019 at 9:47 pm

The wonderful middle school students I teach this year focus and learn far better when their cell phones are off and out of sight. We have experimented with both. It’s just a fact.

47. charity on December 20, 2019 at 9:47 pm

Mine was token away and it was crack after i got it

48. Brendon Bolam on December 20, 2019 at 9:48 pm

agreed screw the no phone policy in school!

49. Topankin on December 20, 2019 at 9:48 pm

Students wouldn’t be on there phones if the work was engaging

50. Daniel Rittegar on December 20, 2019 at 9:48 pm

I think we can live with out technology all it is is a device that goes dead and you have to chage it everytime it gets down to 20 percent and its fucking annoying