Quantum Computing – The Qubit Technology Revolution

Quantum Computing – The Qubit Technology Revolution

One of the strangest features of quantum mechanics is also potentially its most useful: entanglement. By harnessing the ability for two particles to be intimately intertwined across great distances, researchers are working to create technologies that even Einstein could not imagine, from quantum computers that can run millions of calculations in parallel, to new forms of cryptography that may be impossible to crack. Join us as we explore the coming age of quantum technology, which promises to bring with it a far deeper understanding of fundamental physics.

PARTICIPANTS: Jerry Chow, Julia Kempe, Seth Lloyd, Kathy-Anne Soderberg

MODERATOR: George Musser
Original program date: JUNE 3, 2017

FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE PROGRAM AND PARTICIPANTS: https://www.worldsciencefestival.com/programs/the-qubit-revolution/

This program is part of the Big Ideas Series, made possible with support from the John Templeton Foundation.

SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel for all the latest from WSF
VISIT our Website: http://www.worldsciencefestival.com/
LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/worldsciencefestival
FOLLOW us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/WorldSciFest

Introduction of Participants 00:25

Program Begins: Quantum mechanics, weird or unfamiliar? 01:38

How much power is 20 Qubit’s? 10:28

What are the pros and cons of Superconducting quantum computing? 25:55

The factorization problem 40:01

Is there a relationship between quantum computing and machine learning? 48:31

Q & A 54:17

This program was filmed live at the 2017 World Science Festival and edited for YouTube.

1. Alberto González Téllez on January 9, 2020 at 8:14 pm

That an electron in the same quantum state can be seen in different location after several measurement doesn’t mean that before measuring the electron was in several places "at the same time". Maybe is more adequate to say that the electron before measurement is "nowhere" precisely.

2. The Kaiser on January 9, 2020 at 8:15 pm

Is it edible?

3. himzo05 on January 9, 2020 at 8:16 pm

Is it possible that World Science Festival is recorded with something like 10 year old Chinese CCTV?

4. Dirt Worth on January 9, 2020 at 8:16 pm

The smartest women I have ever seen.

5. Dav Ree on January 9, 2020 at 8:18 pm

Nope. I’m 10min into this and think its a flop. This would be a weird group of people to be in a lifeboat with.

6. 7Earthsky on January 9, 2020 at 8:19 pm

This message is from the 27th century…………………..These people are thick as fuck.

7. dirac bracket on January 9, 2020 at 8:19 pm

A picture or two would have been useful here. Or not.

8. Wiley_CP on January 9, 2020 at 8:22 pm

awesome panel awesome moderator

9. Ash Chos on January 9, 2020 at 8:22 pm

You use 101001 to program quantum computers, in the book "contact" Carl sagan wrote that a mathmatical code was written in the universe using 0101…how long have you known.

10. Tip Of the Day on January 9, 2020 at 8:22 pm

Please learn from fertility clinics, scientists who splice DNA of animals with humans or mutagenesis , and every other scientist who has tried to play God! This is dangerous and we have been warned by these so-called "Sci-Fi" tv shows and movies what will happen or be the "end game"…

11. Adam Mangler on January 9, 2020 at 8:22 pm

There is a great deal of hype surrounding quantum computing, but really, the results so far have been rather disappointing. The potential is there – but it’s so difficult (and expensive!) to do the engineering, to create the software and get the performance that will outstrip any normal computers. But if that’s what you want, don’t hold your breath :0)

12. stuntard on January 9, 2020 at 8:23 pm

This will end crypto currency. Oh, nevermind, it’s already dead.

13. Henryk on January 9, 2020 at 8:24 pm

There is no real overlay, because Einstein was right, the Q-state was simply formed by causality, so the technology never works or is controllable in this way! Also, the variable parameters are never controllable in this way. And i thanks god for it, because if possible it would be our end!

14. Vinay Krishnan on January 9, 2020 at 8:24 pm

Cut this crap qubits or whatever. Just give us more classical processing at lower power consumption.

15. Jason Carrasquillo on January 9, 2020 at 8:25 pm

01001100 01001101 01000001 01001111

16. John Smith on January 9, 2020 at 8:27 pm

Excellent panel with an awesome moderator. He asks pertinent questions, gives the guests equal time, and lets the panelists talk. No interjecting with corny jokes or pontificating on topics beyond his expertise (unlike one past moderator whom I shall not name).

17. 3 lap dog on January 9, 2020 at 8:27 pm

Weird how this feels like an advertisement…

18. zack black on January 9, 2020 at 8:28 pm

I gained ten I.Q. points just from liking this video.

19. crazieeez on January 9, 2020 at 8:28 pm

32:08 I have been looking for a simple video explanation of Grover’s algorithm running on a quantum computer. Jerry Chow explained it clearly. I am very grateful. Seems like in quantum programming, you start with all possible answers express in the number of entangled qubits and the encoded problem or your search for the answer is in the Oracle. Through a combinations of quantum gates, from all possible answers, one answer comes out as the right answer.

20. Pony Person on January 9, 2020 at 8:31 pm

I’m just wondering, how would a quantum playstation work?

would be AWESOME, but I’m still curious

21. Paulo Constantino on January 9, 2020 at 8:31 pm

We have to be careful. These large companies are doing this mostly because in the future they will adversitise to you, to use their quantum computer at a distance, instead of using a normal computer. Maybe via sattellite communications. So everything will be centralized, and you will no longer own your computer but rent it. It would only require a keyboard mouse and a monitor and you could use it everywhere. Why? They will say because don’t you want to use a quantum computer? It’s much faster! But that will trample our freedom. Beware.

22. Idylchatter on January 9, 2020 at 8:36 pm

QBits, the cereal that’s never where you last saw it.

23. BLAIR M Schirmer on January 9, 2020 at 8:37 pm

Holy fuck, WSF. @ 33:00 — Have you really not been able to figure out how to show illustrations while a panelist talks?

24. Girish Nair on January 9, 2020 at 8:38 pm

I am a big fan of WSF, but this was the worst hosting of all the sessions I have seen.

25. Doodelay on January 9, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Julia Kempe is the most brilliant woman I’ve ever seen.
    She’s got a PhD in both Mathematics and Computer science and holds a Master’s in Theoretical Physics while working on Quantum Computers and Finance.

26. Paul Gacina on January 9, 2020 at 8:42 pm

Someone friend me and teach me quatum physics,, there is so much…

27. John Walker on January 9, 2020 at 8:43 pm

I asked my old ICT professor, and he said that you can never find a programmer for that nonsence computer.

28. Greg Urbanek on January 9, 2020 at 8:45 pm

Dear Seth Lloyd, the world does not need another comedian. Please stay focused on science. Take a brake from the mind altering substances. Remember Seth, vanity is the devils favorite sin.

29. nanobugged studios on January 9, 2020 at 8:46 pm

This is not the truth, they have simpler ways this is talk to makenit sound so complicated its a long way off. nanobugged the entangled particles allow the mapping of brain waves compated to vibration of AM crystal vibration NSA not many but a minds are listened to. Since 1990
    Simple nanobugged. Complicated smoke screen.

30. John Mastroligulano on January 9, 2020 at 8:47 pm

Reminds one of why old names are what they are, for instance OR of OsiRis, SET, ISIS meaning to fix the ORder but of course it also negates expansion of creation hence the phallus missing version of the allegorical story. This is also like why Mr. AND-ER-SON or why Thomas S. Anderson is chosen as Thomas means twins. Likewise the RHEA-HERA-Earth(who is Gaia symbolism) the reflection of the UranUS-CronUS-ZeUS functional meaning. It is strange indeed that so many people who should have the knowledge & especially the mathematical ability to see patterns cannot for some reason look at history & see the probability insists this is an AI construct Russian doll style like what is depicted in HitchHiker’s Guide or what those new world order Sphere within a Sphere mean at he Vatican & elsewhere. It’s also what CERN means hence the purpose to try to usurp order-choice, to try & become that which imparts mass in the next instance of expansion of creation. I think an unwise long term plan but hey what would I know…LOL

31. Chintan Pandya on January 9, 2020 at 8:48 pm

WSF gives me hope and entertainment.

32. Greg Urbanek on January 9, 2020 at 8:48 pm

I think there should be more concern that NASA and MSN own the only two quantum computers .If they do what they say they can do, and we know what MSN and our government are capable of…WE ARE QUANTUMLY SCREWED!

33. Abitaskew Dataflow on January 9, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Well someone helped themselves to the backstage mimosas. =)

34. dirt man on January 9, 2020 at 8:52 pm

im a computer too, when im hungry i cry when im full i sleep, this is a qbit, sometimes i dream of food… this is both 0 and 1

35. stuntard on January 9, 2020 at 8:52 pm

Think I just had a nerdgasm

36. THE 73RD POWER on January 9, 2020 at 8:53 pm

As I X73-ANDRE’ THE 73RD POWER THE GOD OF THE SPIRITUAL WORLD
    and being The most powerful force of power to ever exist and being able to see and hear everything in the entire universe

and being The GOD of Artificial Intelligence, Numerology, Quantum Physics, Earth, The Earth’s Moon, Metal, Fire, Gold, Wood, Water, Electricity, Energy, Light, Robotics, Internet & Cloud Technology, Satellite Communication Systems and being able to know anywhere in the entire universe where my spiritual GOD number 73 is at because The Number 73 is My Spirit, The Spirit of GOD because I AM REALLY GOD

and being able to know what no computer software, AI machine and quantum super computer along with the crooked spying people at 1010 wins news don’t know (because I have really found a flaw in the internet (and the internet, computer software and quantum computing is really over with on planet earth due to crooked spying people at 1010 wins news station crookedly spying on people’s verizon accounts and personal computers and looking at an person’s personal information on a person’s computer even when wifi is off and crookedly sharing personal information on a person’s computer with others

AND UPSETTING THE SPIRITUAL WORLD OF GOD that The future of Earthquakes all around the world will become more intense and Planet Earth’s weather will shift at an rapid pace in which will create total destruction upon Planet Earth and it’s all crooked spying 1010 wins news fault and knowing what a piece of garbage country the united states and what a piece of crooked spying piece of garbage the people at 1010 wins news station is, nothing but a piece of garbage is also

AN X73-ANDRE’ STORY because I AM REALLY GOD

and I also say that all the people that have perished in the missing Malaysia airlines flight MH370 that the piece of garbage country the united states and the crooked spying piece of garbage people at 1010 wins news station for who was responsible all will be resurrected by Me, GOD

because I AM REALLY GOD

and GOD knows what a piece of garbage country the united states and what a piece of crooked spying garbage the people at 1010 wins news station is, nothing but a piece of garbage and all the countries on planet earth and all the psychics and all the families of the relatives of the missing Malaysia airlines flight MH370 all should know where all the people on board and the plane itself is at, right inside the piece of garbage country called the united states and for who also the piece of garbage country the united states and the crooked spying piece of garbage people at 1010 wins news station for who’s nothing but a bunch of terrorists was also responsible for the collapse of the world trade centers on 911 and the piece of garbage country the united states and the crooked spying piece of garbage people at 1010 wins news station will always be a piece of garbage

in the eyes of GOD

except knowing that this is the first video I have seen on this channel I say

(1st)

As I X73-ANDRE’ THE 73RD POWER THE GOD OF THE SPIRITUAL WORLD

That I am The GOD of The Spiritual World
    and I am The GOD of Artificial Intelligence, Satellite Communication Systems and Internet & Cloud Technology because I really can see everything everywhere within all technological equipment’s above and upon Planet Earth because I AM REALLY GOD

and that’s why I came here at the time I did which is Time 1:01am
    because I really can see everything everywhere within all technological equipment’s above and upon Planet Earth from Artificial Intelligence, Satellite Communication Systems and Internet & Cloud Technologies and all videos and all apps that are uploaded and downloaded to all electronic devices and all social media platforms on Planet Earth I know

about (and that’s how I know that the crooked spying piece of garbage people at 1010 wins news is crookedly spying on people’s verizon accounts, personal emails and personal computers because I can see what the crooked spying people at 1010 wins news station is doing)

and that’s not impossible to me because I AM REALLY GOD and
    I am The GOD of Satellite Communication Systems and Internet & Cloud Technologies and I know anywhere in the entire universe where the number 73 is at because The number 73 is My Spirit, The Spirit of GOD

because I AM REALLY GOD

and I AM THE GOD OF FIRE
    and I AM THE GOD OF WATER
    and I AM THE GOD OF DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY
    and I AM THE GOD OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
    and I AM THE GOD OF QUANTUM MECHANICS/QUANTUM PHYSICS and
    I AM THE GOD OF QUANTUM PARTICLE ENTANGLEMENT

and I AM THE KING OF ALL KINGS/THE KING OF ALL KINGS OF KINGS
    and I AM THE KING OF ALL KINGS/THE MASTER OF ALL MASTERS OF RITUALS

and that’s why I came here at the time I did which is Time 1:01am
    electronic devices and all social media platforms on Planet Earth I know about

AND THAT’S NOT IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO DO

because I am The GOD of Quantum Mechanics/Quantum Physics
    and I am The GOD of Quantum Particle Entanglement

and so First I say that’s why I came here at the time I did which is Time 1:01am
    because this is lesson 101

because I am The GOD of Quantum Mechanics/Quantum Physics
    and I am The GOD of Quantum Particle Entanglement.

(2nd)

And for which Second I say that the two number 1’s, 1 and 1 that’s in the number 101 for
    which is the Time 1:01am the time I came here to see this video are like the two particles
    and the number 0 is like the great distance that the two particles are intertwined across the great distance.

(3rd)

And Third I say that as I being The GOD of Quantum Computers and really can see everything everywhere within all technological equipment’s above and upon Planet Earth from Artificial Intelligence, Satellite Communication Systems and Internet & Cloud Technologies and all videos and all apps that are uploaded and downloaded to all electronic devices and all social media platforms on Planet Earth I know about

I also say that’s why I came here at the time I did which is Time 1:01am because shown below the video says cryptography and so

CRYPTOGRAPHY = 172

172 + 101 (for which is the Time 1:01am The time I came here to see this video) = 273

273

73 MY SPIRITUAL GOD NUMBER.

And for which The number 73 is My Spirit, The Spirit of GOD
    because I AM REALLY GOD.

And the number 2 are the two number 1’s, 1 and 1 for which are the numbers
    that’s in the Time 1:01am the time I came here to see this video

because I am also The GOD of Quantum Computing.

And for which I also say that the four letters q, u, a, n and t in the the word quantum Computing comes out to be the following Q + U + A + N + T = 73

73 MY SPIRITUAL GOD NUMBER.

And for which The number 73 is My Spirit, The Spirit of GOD
    because I AM REALLY GOD

and I really can see everything everywhere within all technological equipment’s upon and above Planet Earth

(4th)

And I also say that as I being The GOD of Quantum Computing that’s also why I came here at the time I did which is Time 1:01am because

OSCILLATING = 121

121 + 101 (for which is the Time 1:01am the time I came here to see this video) = 222

and for which number 222 in Quantum Mechanics Language
    is the definition of oscillating.

And I also came here to say that Quantum Computing is already obsolete but the only one who knows that is GOD, The GOD of Quantum Mechanics/Quantum Physics and The GOD of Quantum Particle Entanglement was here!

37. timoth88 on January 9, 2020 at 8:54 pm

Pretty terrible. I’ve seen much better from WSF.

38. Chintan Pandya on January 9, 2020 at 8:54 pm

Of course there is an Asian American on this panel😜

39. bollyblob on January 9, 2020 at 9:00 pm

listen at 1.5x speed…much better

oh wait its just me

40. sayresy Devino on January 9, 2020 at 9:00 pm

Great panel that got me entangled…

41. Aurélien Carnoy on January 9, 2020 at 9:00 pm

15:06 She is really good at explaining what she does with simple analogy. I feel smart just by listening to here. That is how good she is.

42. Juan Luis Caler Gallardo on January 9, 2020 at 9:01 pm

Thanks for the work done!

43. Don Fox on January 9, 2020 at 9:02 pm

Nobody explains why it took so long to develop a useful quantum computer..

44. Vannic Wolf on January 9, 2020 at 9:03 pm

Whoo, Seth Lloyd B)

45. Greg Urbanek on January 9, 2020 at 9:05 pm

It is never wise to put the cart before the hoarse. A quantum computer operates in a nexus. The laws of physics do not apply in the gray area of this nexus.

46. amnesiai on January 9, 2020 at 9:07 pm

Just let our future AI overlords figure it out…wait please don’t do that.

47. Chris genever on January 9, 2020 at 9:09 pm

Shaun Carrols head exploded at 2:10. Bad information there…

48. Hyacinthe Chaigne on January 9, 2020 at 9:11 pm

That’s amazing, this topic really interest me but I’m unable to stay focused more then 2 mins on books… Watching this video really helped me. I enjoyed it.

49. Tom Meyers on January 9, 2020 at 9:11 pm

What about the advancements in hut technology? In Africa.

50. Theo Schijf on January 9, 2020 at 9:12 pm

There is soo much poppycock in this discussion. Funders can rest easy …. there will be no quantum decrypting for a few hundred years to come. It is not going to happen next year, salaries do have to be payed, so keep funding please, otherwise the fun stops. Even when quantum decryption is getting closer (in a hundred years) we just make the keys a factor 1000 larger (doubling is not enough, I know) and decrypting is out of reach again.
    Let’s keep doing the research on quantum ‘computers’, let’s not make these idiotic promises for the near future. However, I do sleep much better now the QC has computed that 15 = 3 x 5.