Question: How Important is Math in a Computer Science Degree?

Question: How Important is Math in a Computer Science Degree?

I would like to know how hard it is the mathematics part in the computer science undergraduate course. I love computers and would to love to know how to code and understand the operational systems in a technical way to maybe someday work for some big company but i’m worried about choosing this course because of the mathematics part, cause i’m not very good at it, do you think the teachers do a great job explaining what you have to do or do you have to learn most of the stuff by yourself? Cause if that’s the case i guess it’s too hard for me, what’re your thoughts?

-Igor B.

**********

To Ask Questions Email: Question@EliTheComputerGuy.com

Patreon Campaign for a Geekier world: http://www.patreon.com/elithecomputerguy

Signup for our email list at: http://www.elithecomputerguy.com/email-signup/
(#Microstopped… We will never forget)

For Classes, Class Notes and Blog Posts:

Visit the Main YouTube Channel at:

Follow us on Twitter at:

1. Jonas Samari on January 12, 2020 at 8:18 pm

am about to start a bachelors degree in information technology and i need your help

2. SavageSwan25 on January 12, 2020 at 8:20 pm

Thank God I found your channel Redux, I am currently studying Certificate in Computer Science at Uni, just to give myself a try if I could do maths, sadly, I couldn’t…even fractions (I am horrible when it comes to fractions and calculus, but I love geometry and algebra) so…i think I’m gonna quit this C.S course and concentrate more in programming and I.T (least maths 🙂 ) Thanks a lot!

3. Guy Guy on January 12, 2020 at 8:20 pm

Hi, I’m 16 and about to go into A levels (so not quit a degree). I was in middle set maths and was set to do higher paper. However they changed us to foundation 3 months prior (as the government changed GCSE maths). I achieved the highest I could, getting a 5 (the inbetween grade of a C-B). I want to be a software engineer at like goggle, Facebook or Yahoo but my school don’t offer such a A level. Obviously at degree level I will do software engineer but is it worth doing a computer science A level anyway (as its the closes thing to software engineering I can access). I have looked at past A level computer science exams and I am confident I could do it but seems pointless if its not "programming" per say.

4. Ryan Collie on January 12, 2020 at 8:21 pm

Computer science: you gotta learn a fuckton of math for the degree then forget it all because you probably won’t use it for your job

5. Darwin Gonzalez on January 12, 2020 at 8:23 pm

I understand the need for math in CS due to the algorithms and computer data. However, requiring subjects like Physics is just dumb and not very needed for the field unless you go into hardware.

6. Tenneny T on January 12, 2020 at 8:27 pm

I want to go into programming (probably Full stack Web Development) and I am looking for a degree which would be best for this. It really doesn’t help that not even Universities seem to know the different between Computer Science and Programming. Any suggestions on what the best degree for becoming a Web Developer would be?

7. yeong kill on January 12, 2020 at 8:27 pm

ya there’s a lot of truth in this. Computer Science for the longest time wasn’t even an independent degree or topic from mathematics. Computer Science is about the theory of computation. Does a solution exist. Is it unique. Can it be solved with a computation model. Can it not only be solved but solved in a manner where you don’t risk a non – terminating sequence of operations. What functions can model how many operations it takes to solve problems in the most efficient manner.

The only thing I disagree with is that you don’t really need trig or calc for computer science either. They will pop up for special topics like computer graphics and machine learning and signal processing, but most of the math you do is discrete math, mathematical logic, abstract algebra, combinatorics, and maybe number theory if you get into cryptography. That said if Calc and trig are too hard for you, all of the above will probably overwhelm you too.

8. Scott Merkle on January 12, 2020 at 8:28 pm

I wanna get a degree in math and a minor in computer science. Will I need to learn a lot of math??

9. Mandrake Mann on January 12, 2020 at 8:29 pm

😄

10. Mason Lee on January 12, 2020 at 8:30 pm

Oh my. Computer Science sounds fun. I should have enrolled in that. IT is not as fun as Computer Science.

11. cdcopper on January 12, 2020 at 8:31 pm

Well, looks like I’m gonna have to go with plan B. I’ll just be a Janitor.

12. Rajpreet Dhillon on January 12, 2020 at 8:32 pm

Sir can you please tell me that which kind of jobs can i get after doing associate of science with mathematics in Canada

13. CARBINEZzZz on January 12, 2020 at 8:34 pm

Math is one of those things that people only dislike because of how poorly it was taught to them growing up. It’s actually pretty cool when you think about it, "the language of the universe", it’s how we understand and concretely describe everything around us. Most math teachers just treat it like military drills though

14. Dab Fury on January 12, 2020 at 8:34 pm

I love math it’s actually pretty fun I did not before but that’s when I started practicing now I’m in love it. Unfortunately I’m going into computer engineering.

15. Robert Young on January 12, 2020 at 8:35 pm

My computer science degree required:

Calc 1
    Calc 2
    Linear Algebra
    Differential equations or calc 3
    Discrete Mathematics

And you are encouraged to take even more!

16. ozimax06 on January 12, 2020 at 8:38 pm

The thing is even after studying CS, you still work as programmer and you don’t get to use all those advanced math and algorithms. You realise that all those hardcore stuff you studied is not that meaningful in the industry. What they more care about is craftsmanship. I learned it in the hard way!

17. SazidE GAmER on January 12, 2020 at 8:39 pm

u can get through comp science with minimal math effort. if ur heading into engineering then there are many varities of engineering jobs, such as mobile engineering and etc which requires not so much math at all.

18. Ranjan Kumar on January 12, 2020 at 8:43 pm

Really a good college

19. Austin Garrett on January 12, 2020 at 8:44 pm

Your impact and abilities in CS increase monotonically with the amount of math you know. Even when it comes to things that are not directly applicable like topology, information theory, abstract algebra, category theory, etc., the best ideas come from places that nobody ever expects. Going into my senior year at MIT, if you want some advice: don’t fear math. Struggle with it, bang your head against the wall, whatever it takes. Nobody feels like math is supposed to be something you just "get", especially at a university level. It’s hard, but one day, you will conquer it, and it’s like a fog is suddenly lifted from your eyes, and everything clicks.

If you’re just getting started and are looking for ways to get into the more serious topics, start with functional programming. I’d recommend something pure that forces you to engage in the topics central to functional programming, like Haskell. Get familiar with the much more mathematical paradigm. Functional programming irreversibly changes your perception of computing, and at that point its a natural jump into formal verification, which is fancy talk for "using math to prove the correctness of programs". It’s incredibly important for the future of computing IMO, and has applicability in a broad range of tangible things, like compiler design, or concurrency (which is the entire web and most likely your personal computer too in the form of threading).

But even if you’re not directly interested in formal verification itself, it gives you an invaluable perspective of what computer science *is all about* . The power of this is such that given *any* topic about computers, I am confident I would know what I need to do to approach and understand it, because I can see the forest for the trees. Life is long, and the amount of math that you might consider "genius level", can be learned in less than a decade of learning on the side. Make the investment, I promise you, you will never regret the decision.

20. Ryan Heard on January 12, 2020 at 8:46 pm

Are you kidding? Computer Science is the same degree as a Math Degree. You take the same math courses if your majoring in either degree. If you don’t like math but still want a computer degree, get an Information Technology, Information Systems, or a CyberSecurity degree.

21. connorbnelson on January 12, 2020 at 8:46 pm

Anyone have any recommendations for learning math outside of school? I graduated high school several years ago, but I want to get into CS. I was pretty far behind on math then, and I am even more behind now. I’m probably at around an Algebra I or Algebra II level.
    So far I have started reviewing what I already know on Kahn Academy and will hopefully be able to move up on my own. But are there any alternatives that may be better? Is Kahn Academy enough for learning through pre-calculus?

22. Alejandro Juarez-Rea on January 12, 2020 at 8:48 pm

So if math is a weakness for me should I forget about CS or Software Engineering?

23. Kwame Enoch on January 12, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Lol the name computer literally means calculation, you need to be good at maths, if not go and learn linguistics or something

24. Obi on January 12, 2020 at 8:49 pm

Math in high school is very different than math in university.

I was total shit in high school at math. It took a really great prof who helped me and believed in me to continue forward in my first year. I ended up graduating with a 3.7. Just gotta work hard and stop “fearing” math, embrace it and get better.

25. Sam 9912 on January 12, 2020 at 8:51 pm

I joined CS from a Pre Medical background… Got knocked out by calculus in 1st semester…but then i became determined and tried my best to learn in…now i have an A grade in calculus and doing good so far in multi and differential…thats just about your self decipline and self determination…✌️❤️… Just don’t lose hope… Things are never such horrible as they looks..🙂

26. Herencian on January 12, 2020 at 8:54 pm

Go look at the computer science curriculum. You need to be able to solve high level mathematics and you have to do it QUICKLY. It shouldn’t even be called ‘computer science,’ more like ‘computer assisted mathematics.’

27. Quince Williams on January 12, 2020 at 8:54 pm

CS usually starts with linear algebra, calculus 2, & physics 2. Advanced studies peek into statistics & numerical analysis.

28. Borislav Dinev on January 12, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Thank you for this video! I was so worried about Mathematics,because I really want to become a C++,Python,Java.I was very scared,because I thought that it was all mathematics. Great !

29. big bang on January 12, 2020 at 8:58 pm

I got 88 percent in mathematics OL in IGCSE which is equivalent to A- in the american grade
    Is there a chance for me to succeed in CS if I took it as a major in the university
    Would anybody give me advice ?
    Note: I really love computers

30. Beaten Frops on January 12, 2020 at 8:58 pm

although I see this video after 4 years you upload this video :), but still, i really like your explanations.

31. Gavin Robinson on January 12, 2020 at 8:59 pm

This was the fist helpful video on this topic I have watched. Thank you!

32. beta 3.0 on January 12, 2020 at 8:59 pm

12th grade math is necessary cse degree

33. Aditya Dahiya on January 12, 2020 at 9:01 pm

You have such a witty way of explaining things 😉

34. Kelu Mo on January 12, 2020 at 9:01 pm

ELI THE COMPUTER GUY,wow i have been following you on your other channel and i didnt know you had another

35. Matteo C on January 12, 2020 at 9:01 pm

Fuck it, i’ll just become a doctor.

36. Jason Knight on January 12, 2020 at 9:02 pm

all you need to be able to do is add…… 😉

37. dzjahrk on January 12, 2020 at 9:02 pm

Hi.
    Did you ever use any brain booster, nootropics or something like that ?, if so, which ones ?. Thanks.

38. Arturo Filio Villa on January 12, 2020 at 9:04 pm

I actually like his explanation, as a computer science major you have to have a minor in math (at least in my school) and more than programming, you are taught a lot how to solve problems. I was not good at math and now I’m almost done with my minor in math and I’ve been programming prior to my CS degree. All in all so far I haven’t seen that much of a heavy application in math for CS but I know that for AI a lot of statistics is needed and you do use calculus down the line for some algorithms. But again I’m still not excellent at math and I’m getting A’s in all my programming courses so don’t let the math stop you and just pull through and try to learn as much as you can

39. MiningBlock on January 12, 2020 at 9:05 pm

computer science does require calculus and higher level math courses (at least at my university), but don’t let that get you down. The calc courses and math courses are pretty dry and boring, but the CS courses like operating systems or computer organization and architecture which use math are pretty interesting because you see the application of it. In fact, I learned far more from these courses than I ever did in my calculus course. Maybe that’s just how I learn and it could be different than others, but if you’re struggling in straight up math courses, don’t let that get you down. Just pass them and you may well find you find the math part not as mind numbing and frustrating when you get into an actual CS course that applies the concepts.

40. Arnav singh on January 12, 2020 at 9:05 pm

It’s not hard if u work hard enough.

41. Steven Codding on January 12, 2020 at 9:06 pm

I love math and have great respect for it. However, when it comes to complex mental math I struggle with it. Is that a skill required for computer science?

42. NANI HU on January 12, 2020 at 9:07 pm

What kind of math skill is needed to create apps for iOS and Android

43. جوجل اکاونٹ on January 12, 2020 at 9:10 pm

this is all the math/calculus (they’re different things) which were in my CS program
    Mathematics-1
    Applied Calculus and Analytical Geometry
    Multivariable Calculus
    Discrete Mathematics
    Probability and Statistics
    Differential Equations
    Linear Algebra
    Numerical Analysis

44. OnPoint on January 12, 2020 at 9:14 pm

Wish I knew this before hand

45. Sergio Díaz Nila on January 12, 2020 at 9:15 pm

this reminds me of a comment someone made "I love Economics but I hate math"

46. Ibrahim on January 12, 2020 at 9:15 pm

I didn’t study math in alevels and want to study BS computer science, I don’t suck at maths and am willing to study it. I studied math in olevels. So should I go for it or not ?

47. Kaevon D on January 12, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Nope, you’re nitpicking and biased. I win, byebye

48. A.F. Johnston on January 12, 2020 at 9:16 pm

As stated, a high(er) level of math is required. A majority of programs require at minimum: Calc. 1/2, Advanced Statistics, Advanced Discrete math, Analytic Geometry, Computational Algorithms, Physics, cryptography and even some engineering courses, all of which cannot be achieved without a solid foundation of basic statistics, algebra, and geometry. Some programs require Calc. 3 and linear algebra. Most science degrees use an exceptional amount of math – Computer Science is no exception.

49. Justmy4cents on January 12, 2020 at 9:17 pm

The field of Robotics will require a Math background for Computer Science majors, atleast to the Calculus level, If you want to do any ground breaking things!!! If you rather just be a code jockey and just stay within a finished IDE platform were all the complex work has been conquered already, thats fone too!!

50. Lazaro Gonzalez on January 12, 2020 at 9:17 pm