The computer that mastered Go

The computer that mastered Go

Go is an ancient Chinese board game, often viewed as the game computers could never play. Now researchers from Google-owned company DeepMind have proven the naysayers wrong, creating an artificial intelligence – called AlphaGo – which has beaten a professional Go player for the first time. In this Nature Video, we go behind the scenes to learn about the game, the programme and what this means for the future of AI.

Read the original research paper at https://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7587/full/nature16961.html

Sign up for the Nature Briefing: An essential round-up of science news, opinion and analysis, free in your inbox every weekday. https://go.nature.com/371OcVF

1. norpan506 on February 18, 2020 at 9:56 pm

More configurations than atoms in the universe? 100% nonsense.

2. მძინარე კატა on February 18, 2020 at 9:58 pm

more confogurations than atoms in the universe ? how did he knows? lol

3. Viet Dinh-Van on February 18, 2020 at 10:00 pm

input status of board, output next move.

4. Alex Huh on February 18, 2020 at 10:01 pm

it’s called weiqi, Go? what a stupid name

5. ToBeDamangs on February 18, 2020 at 10:01 pm

But can it dodge?

6. Dr. Harish Ravi on February 18, 2020 at 10:02 pm

It’s like 2 groups breaking out of prison. I have a twin dial to know it’s fair a barometer and an altimeter in my watch. Aren’t they correlated? It can help break even if you are stuck at homes forgetting basics so that someone may come for you. And also a new couple reuniting will find it horrible for one game but live for ever even if seperated globally. Anti divorce Force was a dream. This game will extend life of the world. To keep the world running with use for 100 years.

7. 胡无人汉道昌 on February 18, 2020 at 10:05 pm

围棋就是种族竞争,你死我活不共戴天,不像国际象棋尼玛还能握手言和

8. donjz777 on February 18, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Easterners may be better at Go than Westerners, but the Westerner are the ones who solved go, with the AI AlphaGo program. And now you know the new nuke race is on, which is who has the best AI.

9. Thailand2Night on February 18, 2020 at 10:07 pm

And the A.I won against Lee Sedol.

10. yilong liu on February 18, 2020 at 10:08 pm

this is the most complex board human ever invented, and robots still wins……..fk

11. UpAndOut on February 18, 2020 at 10:13 pm

So what happens when AlphaGo plays itself? What can we learn from such a match?

12. E. Camilo on February 18, 2020 at 10:14 pm

If you have money to invest, invest in any company working on AI. That’s the fucking future.

13. Johannes on February 18, 2020 at 10:15 pm

I hate their intrusive r’s. It’s IDEA not IDEAR:

14. Bravo Booty on February 18, 2020 at 10:15 pm

Mmmm mentos. What do the black ones taste like?

15. Zirui Hao on February 18, 2020 at 10:17 pm

Isn’t CrazyStone A.I. a brute force approach to Go?

16. LeoB103 on February 18, 2020 at 10:17 pm

5:33 GSV quietly confident

17. Not My Real Name on February 18, 2020 at 10:17 pm

Isn’t this the one that developed it’s own language and communicated with nearby computers? The staff became scared so they decided to pull the plug.

18. Fokosmok on February 18, 2020 at 10:18 pm

More configurations than atoms in the universe? I can’t stand this bullshit.

19. Crest on February 18, 2020 at 10:20 pm

I want to eat that white stone it looks like mentos mint candy 😋

20. Halcali on February 18, 2020 at 10:23 pm

are there any good documentaries on the history of ‘Go’ ? I want to see more about the masters of Go throughout history.

21. Michael Luna on February 18, 2020 at 10:25 pm

Is Arnold Schwarzenegger going to have to use a time machine to stop these guys?

22. Armaan Khurana on February 18, 2020 at 10:26 pm

this game is making me hungry. Reminds me of candy

23. ThatguywiththeAegis on February 18, 2020 at 10:27 pm

More configurations than atoms in the universe? Is that black science man

24. Happy Life WISH on February 18, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Weiqi wtf is go

25. Dalva Conceição on February 18, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Banda univeco sólido

26. Morgan Olfursson on February 18, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Westerners , the sheer arrogance .
    I can assure you, my Japanese mother in law will teach this computer a lesson. She never lost a game for 30 years and has played against the best, she just refuses the idea of competition .

27. donjz777 on February 18, 2020 at 10:31 pm

They should just give AlphaGo the title of Don 10.. Humans can be Don 9, but only AI can play Don 10, which is that high level humans can only do once in a while, but AI can do it much more often.

28. Kai Leung on February 18, 2020 at 10:33 pm

When play yu gi oh ?

29. Alejandro Jacobo on February 18, 2020 at 10:34 pm

What’s more complicated. This or a 5v5 game of league where one of the characters is an ai that had to work together with humans. I’m gonna have to go with lol

30. DummyThiccEnt on February 18, 2020 at 10:35 pm

I have a theory that since I have no previous experience with go and have no idea at how to go about it, I wonder the outcome due to the fact that these think on the quantum level
    Aka a complete different set of rules of relativity and these devices think on our theory of relativity I ponder on the fact that since a player with no experience may do better compared to the greatest go player based on that logic I would love to conduct an experiment on that basis if you would be interested please dm me is love to find these answers

31. Awhol Lotta Whoopass on February 18, 2020 at 10:36 pm

Beat humans on multiple occasions: Yes. Mastered the game: No. There is more to just winning the game that puts you in the place of mastery for Go. Also, reading the comments here just confirms how arrogant alot of people in this world are. No X is better than Y, no Y is better than X. So much nonsense. Just play the game thats fitting for your interest.

32. Paul Ahrenholtz on February 18, 2020 at 10:38 pm

"most comlex game" homies never heard of dota

33. Dunkin Larry on February 18, 2020 at 10:40 pm

Andrew Yang’s book brought me here

34. Blob Dragon on February 18, 2020 at 10:40 pm

how does go have more configurations, then atoms in the fucking universe…??? thats the stupidest thing i have heard, a board game with (idk) 18-20×18-20 with black and white pieces as more configurations than the building blocks that make those configurations, and everything else in the universe??? thats so stupid. if its true pls explain.

35. Jason i love oz on February 18, 2020 at 10:41 pm

Thanks nerds for setting us on the path to destruction.thanks a lot ya cunts

36. Dr. Harish Ravi on February 18, 2020 at 10:44 pm

A job for Grandpa, don’t always play with youngsters , playing with oneself is fun too. who know ai but not life lessons. Before they take all jobs with machines. Love. Ppl educated and educated black and white no race avoid war because it destroys. Extending life of the world or nation. After playing alpha go with thinking of localities based on no of educated. Whats the move significance is the first question. Finance exchange it is. I wish you the best. to keep it in control is the motive. Play inside and act outside with data analysis.

37. pance rayder on February 18, 2020 at 10:45 pm

thoes beads look really tasty, enough so for me to be thinking more about this that what was being said.

38. Οδοιπόρος on February 18, 2020 at 10:45 pm

I hope I’m not the only one who would try and eat those stones. They look delicious.

39. Kosteri x on February 18, 2020 at 10:45 pm

It totally doesn’t count, because google guys don’t allow anyone to play against it. The whole point of go playing AI is that you can go play the Ai. idiot.

Same as saying hey look at this game i played. I won so I’m the best in the world. And no, I won’t play against any of you. Bye!

40. Georges Guitton on February 18, 2020 at 10:46 pm

I enjoy

41. NaffStar Ddtygcfyy on February 18, 2020 at 10:47 pm

I’m here on the 17th November 2017 and a while ago Lee Sedol beat alpha go. Although alpha go won overall, that means alpha go didn’t ‘master’ the game

42. Andrew_Owens on February 18, 2020 at 10:47 pm

Let’s face it. All evidence points to the fact that this technology will be used to maximize profits of ten or twenty families, terrorize civilians, spy on people and kill people. I’ve watched all this wonderful technology for decades, yet I work harder for less money and have less job security than I did when I was a fifth as educated.

43. NeutralDice on February 18, 2020 at 10:47 pm

go is boring

44. Sniper Fox on February 18, 2020 at 10:49 pm

Andrew Yang was right

45. Блядь Россия on February 18, 2020 at 10:51 pm

Nothing like watching a video of a bunch of wankers telling you how incredibly smart they are for playing a fucking game. Maybe they could have done something useful with their brains instead.

46. A wild 909 on February 18, 2020 at 10:52 pm

Who else just watched/played the warframe sacrifice quest

47. Kobe Duh goat on February 18, 2020 at 10:52 pm

Bunch of old ass niggas placing circles on a board

48. nofreewill on February 18, 2020 at 10:53 pm

"There is more configurations in the game than atoms in the universe."
    Do you mean in the known universe?

49. jaymorpheus11 on February 18, 2020 at 10:53 pm

Around 5:40 a T-1000 shows up from behind and terminates the smart alec that thinks he really knows what’s going on… Wrong move sucka!

50. NUKE on February 18, 2020 at 10:55 pm

I think Its more a study of statistics than a study of brute force.
    If anyone know’s what I’m talking about…