Quantum Computing for Dummies : A Simple Explanation for Normal People

Quantum Computing for Dummies : A Simple Explanation for Normal People

Quantum Computers Explained ! In this video, I provide a simple explanation and overview and also discuss the implications for artificial intelligence, self-driving vehicles, and more! Enjoy.

This video is a bit outside of my norm, but I thought it might be useful for someone looking for a less technical explanation on the topic.

Let me know what you think in the comments! If this helped you (finally?) understand Quantum Computers, feel free to share it.

===============================
Music:
Artifact – The Dark Contenent by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Source: http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html?isrc=USUAN1100324
Artist: http://incompetech.com/

Time Passing By by Audionautix is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Artist: http://audionautix.com/

1. jhaga bat on February 27, 2020 at 10:18 pm

the meat begins at 3:45

2. Mike Wensel on February 27, 2020 at 10:20 pm

Someone just made up that Grover Operator thing now, didn’t they. The thing that drives me crazy about this explanation is that to me it is completely irrelevant that the coin is both heads and tails while it is flipping in the air. The only point of interest to me is it’s state when it lands. If I am choosing between two numbers, either 0 or 1, the chance that anything can choose one or the other correctly as my choice every time becomes increasingly unlikely with each progression. Even in this small example, Grover can only sweep away one number, and the chance the correct number will remain is never better than one in two. So, it is impossible to give the correct answer every time.

3. Damian Brudziński on February 27, 2020 at 10:21 pm

that the system on the computer has a built-in calculator ?

4. Leland Rogers on February 27, 2020 at 10:23 pm

Shroedinger’s computer.

5. Fido Lost on February 27, 2020 at 10:25 pm

How is ‘all at the same time’ any different than distributed computing? You just explained how stateless threads work in the classic computer realm. These are concurrently running processes that are inherently or even intentionally designed to not require a locking queue. Copies of the proofing process can be made to reside in RAM for threaded consumption. This ‘all at the same time’ framework needs further explanation. Otherwise, it just looks like a scammy magic box full of hyperbole rather than anything practical.

6. Sam TheConquerer on February 27, 2020 at 10:26 pm

So can i get all the frames in the universe for smoother gameplay?

7. Linda Offenbach on February 27, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Having studied Quatum Mechanics myself, I find this a bit misleading. If I would simplify / dumb down I would never say that a Q-bit can have both 0 and 1. They can’t. With QM we can only predict their state, and therefore assume both states (being called a superstate). It is only when we measure (or read) that the true state of the Q-bit is revealed.
    It is just the super high velocity of Q M for Quantum Computing that gives the illusion of two states at the same time, but they are not actually in thoses states at the same time. I would like to refer to the Royal Institution and MIT.

Simply said: it is the super high velocity of Q M that exceeds the velocity of traditional computing.
    So, we can guess indeed all password combinations at the same time. The right combination is revealed after measurement (reading). This process is super high speed and matter of nano seconds. A traditional computer would take hours and hours for processing.

8. Barrie Wright on February 27, 2020 at 10:29 pm

If or when quantum mechanics do or will be allowed to improve them selves, that’s when a new species of being’s "machines" well apear on earth , question will they be molevaleant or omnipotent , just hope it’s the second one otherwise humanity could disappear like the dinosaur’s.

9. robson dos anjos bastos on February 27, 2020 at 10:33 pm

Aqui é pais de analfabetos .

Legendas ou tradução.
    Ou você é mau informado ou é preconceituoso .

10. Jerry G. on February 27, 2020 at 10:34 pm

If you visit D-Wave Technologies you can obtain a lot of information about their manufacturing of Quantum computers. They have a number of them experimentally in operation. More orders are on their way. Quantum computing is still in its deep infancy. There is a long way to go. We are seeing the very beginning steps. If they can find a way to have super conductivity for consumer and regular business use it would be possible to have quantum computers everywhere in our society at an affordable cost. At present super conductivity can only take place using specialized technology and must operate extremely close to absolute zero. Absolute zero is a number of degrees colder than the average temperature out in deep space.

11. D-no on February 27, 2020 at 10:36 pm

if this was a video about cooking the perfect meal, i feel the grover operation is like telling the audience ‘dont forget to add this ingredient or the meal will be ruined’ at the end, then not telling anyone what the ingredient was..

12. Jerry Bender on February 27, 2020 at 10:36 pm

Sean where did u go? Please take more complex subjects and apply ur brilliance to them!! This is ur calling and thank u so much for this video its pure gold

13. Ravi Chanana on February 27, 2020 at 10:37 pm

Good video!

14. Jahvelle Dionte on February 27, 2020 at 10:38 pm

He lost me at "Let’s say we’re trying to crack a password" 😂😂🤯

15. CodeguruX on February 27, 2020 at 10:40 pm

Pretty much everyone glosses over the same issue. You have to find one item in a list. Normal computers have sorting algorithms that cut down the time to find that item by a large factor. Quantum computers, blah, and there you have it! I hope this explanation got me a couple of views and did nothing of value for anyone.

16. SuperNickid on February 27, 2020 at 10:40 pm

@Sean Ong: From what I understand having quantum computer would be a bad idea because they would be easier for criminal to hack and that can be very dangerous when it comes to having self driving car that run on quantum computer, compare to normal computer.

17. mikeyb byekim on February 27, 2020 at 10:42 pm

4:50 but how does it know it’s the best or correct answer?

18. Henok Tad on February 27, 2020 at 10:44 pm

This video helped me understand quantum computers better than any other

19. billy Red on February 27, 2020 at 10:44 pm

The best yet its a hell of a lot of computing going on at the same time which blows minds and over heats computers that’s why the processor has to be super cooled I suppose, good layman’s term.

20. Barnaby Wilde on February 27, 2020 at 10:45 pm

it’s clear that it should have always been Tickle Me Grover

21. Malik Jehangir on February 27, 2020 at 10:45 pm

Your video has made me fell in love with quantum computation

22. Indrra on February 27, 2020 at 10:46 pm

At least we can crack X password. ☹️☹️☹️

23. Johnnie on February 27, 2020 at 10:46 pm

Why did you ruin this video with a stupid music track? Fail!

24. Lucas Ceni on February 27, 2020 at 10:47 pm

Thousand likes for the explanation about finding the right answer. I’m watching & reading about QC for one full month and this is the first time I saw someone explaining about the Grover op. Thank you so much!!

25. Anthony DeLoach on February 27, 2020 at 10:48 pm

beautiful- this guy is great!!!

26. Pam Tufts on February 27, 2020 at 10:48 pm

…..and there is no simple explanation for the Grover algorithm. I did like using the spinning coin flip as an analogy for qubits.

27. Ferd Burfel on February 27, 2020 at 10:52 pm

OK, now explain the Grover thing.

28. Jake G. on February 27, 2020 at 10:53 pm

I’m slightly unsure about the Grover Operator concept. Is the Grover Operator a part of/feature of the actual Quantum Computer system or is it it’s own separate, stand alone augmentation TO the quantum computer (i.e. an analog adjunct)? Specifically, how does it "sweep away" all of the "incorrect" possibilities? (Yes, I’m aware that these questions of mine are simple, but so is my overall conception of Quantum Computers.)

29. harys on February 27, 2020 at 10:54 pm

im commenting this before c ing vid 😂✌🏼
    i bet i wont understand this quantum dude i failed 4 yrs continuesly🤗

30. ejrosenthal on February 27, 2020 at 10:55 pm

Clearest explanation I’ve ever seen. Nice.

31. Deep Truth Channel DTC on February 27, 2020 at 10:57 pm

Shit. It’s like getting excited about making a nuclear bomb. Humans always misuse everything. Very few make good use of anything, those will live under quantum pressure.

32. 3Lon on February 27, 2020 at 10:57 pm

Grover Operators applies when you have a function which returns True for one of its possible inputs, ans False for all the others. The job of the algorithm is to find the one that returns True.

33. Karthik Chettiar on February 27, 2020 at 10:58 pm

In future there will be personal quantum computer at everyones home.

34. Tiler Hoot on February 27, 2020 at 10:59 pm

Fuck you Grover

35. TCN Karnaexlight on February 27, 2020 at 10:59 pm

So basically….. its just a better version and technology of a regular computer

36. Sohail Ahmed on February 27, 2020 at 11:01 pm

Crap hyper and say again crap
    watch MSNBC video they have nailed it

37. Willy satrio nugroho on February 27, 2020 at 11:03 pm

Thank God. Finally,…. A New Prophet Come. Sean "The Messiah" !

38. City Homestead on February 27, 2020 at 11:04 pm

The moral of this story is to change your password often, and get rid of all the Muppet toys you have laying around.

39. Tal Raveh on February 27, 2020 at 11:05 pm

One thing I still don’t understand. If this video is correct, I could ask the computer if the password with the first bit fixed – for example 1,?,?,? (by ? I mean both 0 and 1) is correct or not, and if 1 is the wrong first bit, I would get a definite "no" (since there is no combination of bits that can represent the right answer starting with 1). Since I know which is the wrong first bit, I now know which is the right one, and I could test the 2nd bit in the same way, etc. So I could get the solution to this problem (which has O(2^N) possible solutions) in O(N) time. But I read elsewhere that the Grover algorithm can solve an O(N) in O(SQRT(N)), which means that it could brute force an O(2^N) solutions problem only in O(SQRT(2^N)) time… So what am I missing? o.O

40. Leo Claiborne on February 27, 2020 at 11:05 pm

Ohhhh I get it. So I’m made from a Quantom creater, but not so smart. Why am I here damn 😭 it?

41. Dave Patterson on February 27, 2020 at 11:08 pm

Okay,just take away all the wrong answers,how simple!. HOW

42. Siggi Borg on February 27, 2020 at 11:10 pm

i dont see the coin example explaining how it can be both sides at the same time, because at any given time it only has one given angle.

43. Mohammed Imrankhan on February 27, 2020 at 11:10 pm

Aha!

44. The Strong Brain Club on February 27, 2020 at 11:13 pm

Learn why the Democrats and the Republicans are fighting. It is the same reason that started all the human wars. The human brain divides us into groups and each group needs to be as different as possible from the other groups. This creates conflict and sometimes huge wars, but the wars are very beneficially to humanity. Watch this short seven minute film to find out why the human operating system causes such destructive wars and silly battles in the US government. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3hRhh2KkOM&t=13s.
    After watching this film you will always know what causes any conflict. When humanity wakes up and releases this, we’ll move on to the next level of existence.

45. Kotehi Kotehi on February 27, 2020 at 11:14 pm

Can we play solitare in quantum computer?

46. BECKY KEY on February 27, 2020 at 11:14 pm

hobo johnsons brother lol

47. Apit John Ismail on February 27, 2020 at 11:16 pm

i think your explanation is wrong. It is not 1 and zeros at the same time. Each qubit is represented by 2 superposition with 4 probability of information. Basically current computer is based 2. While quantum computer id based 4. With based 4 ability, the processing required in logic gates design is easier and shorter. Thus making arithmetic calculation faster.

48. Tejkumar Sangani on February 27, 2020 at 11:16 pm

This video made me subscribe your channel man!

49. harys on February 27, 2020 at 11:17 pm

if i play pubg in this machine. i shoot a enemy, at the same time i didnt 🙄. i won but i lost

50. swillswill on February 27, 2020 at 11:18 pm

What if a driverless car went rogue and ran through a red light?