We Built A Family-Friendly Dolby Atmos Home Theater

We Built A Family-Friendly Dolby Atmos Home Theater

When our CEO decided to renovate his daylight basement into a home theater, we had some interesting choice to make. Should it be tied into the whole-home Savant home automation system, or should it stand on its own? The answer, it turns out, was a hybrid approach that married a classic Home Theater install with Savant’s systems attached to it. Have a look at the gear we chose and how it all came together.

VISIT DIGITAL TRENDS

In our studio:
BDI Corridor Media Console: https://bit.ly/2u1IMrs https://amzn.to/2JtnA8v

Music: https://artlist.io/Digital-142302

Digital Trends may earn a commission when you buy through links on our channels.

1. Viktor Kรณs on February 28, 2020 at 10:21 pm

For gaming, this is too much distance to sit from the screen. You are unable to see small details/targets

2. Ian Bell on February 28, 2020 at 10:22 pm

Lessons I learned:
    – In my dream theater scenario I would have chosen a projector but there is so much light coming into that room that it wasn’t really an option within my budget. This is a working family/home theater room with a kitchen, pass through hallways etc and it would have been too expensive to change things to make lighting work.
    – I wish I chose a larger TV and I might get a larger one down the road. Those speakers are gigantic and I had no idea how disproportionate they would have been.

– I wish I could have done in-wall speakers, but there is too much going on in that wall for me to make it happen. My wife didn’t want towers sitting on the cadenza either.
    – I love the game console layout, the kids get to them easily without opening and closing cabinets.
    – The local receiver and Ultra -4K player makes it super easy for the family to get to stuff without calling tech support (me)
    – The speakers sound amazing, I wish they had white grills too. Maybe I’ll see about getting custom ones made

Happy to answer any questions!

3. MrIrishtube on February 28, 2020 at 10:23 pm

That’s a sweet setup. What about a Vava 6000+ lumen laser ultra short throw with an elitescreens Aeon CLR series 100" screen for a visual upgrade?

4. Mark Bussinger on February 28, 2020 at 10:24 pm

I enjoy digital trends tech reviews a lot but huge budget, that’s the best digital trends can do in a home theater? Hard fail. The details of that fail are in a 100 comments below

5. Steven Toms on February 28, 2020 at 10:25 pm

Speakers look overkill for the room, tv too high for me.

6. Alessandro Filippi on February 28, 2020 at 10:28 pm

This looks like something ridiculously expensive…?

7. GlitchX4 on February 28, 2020 at 10:29 pm

QLED ๐Ÿคฎ

8. Nikolai on February 28, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Only one woofer ???

9. p4nc4kemix4u TV on February 28, 2020 at 10:31 pm

I want to know where I can buy a sectional like that!

10. Jonatan Castro on February 28, 2020 at 10:34 pm

Is there a way to do this and achieve good sound quality without having to have 3 huge black boxes in your living room wall?

11. kdm313 on February 28, 2020 at 10:34 pm

First thing I thought. That TV looks small

12. bynahelemaal on February 28, 2020 at 10:36 pm

0:44 for the hoME THEAtre tho… xD

13. Lamin Touray on February 28, 2020 at 10:36 pm

Interesting design choices.

14. Prabh Singh on February 28, 2020 at 10:37 pm

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

15. Arvin Singh on February 28, 2020 at 10:39 pm

This guy talks alot to say nothing

16. Kyle Seeger on February 28, 2020 at 10:39 pm

Xbox Kinect, really? The homeowner couldn’t spring for Xbox 1 x lol

17. Rick Everett on February 28, 2020 at 10:39 pm

Lost me at QLED.

18. No Name on February 28, 2020 at 10:42 pm

Caleb total cost of that setup? I assume all professionally installed and calibrated. Must be nice to be a rich CEO

19. Jeremiah Powell on February 28, 2020 at 10:42 pm

Whatโ€™s the remote is that this system using?

20. Michael Greco on February 28, 2020 at 10:43 pm

Anyone know what kind of remote that was?

21. Mathew Fegan on February 28, 2020 at 10:43 pm

As soon as I saw the ps4, I stopped watching

22. Michael Z on February 28, 2020 at 10:43 pm

Sound system dwarfs the size of the tv

23. Darren Kirby on February 28, 2020 at 10:44 pm

QLED HAHAHAHAHHAHA

24. Bob Snelgrove on February 28, 2020 at 10:47 pm

lighter grills on the speakers would help.

25. Whisper Status 74 on February 28, 2020 at 10:49 pm

Wow! Nice job Caleb! Hope all is well my friend and keep up the good work!

26. TheGamingBozz on February 28, 2020 at 10:49 pm

Wow, so many problems with this theater setup I can’t believe they aren’t embarrassed to post this.

27. Dirk Manderin on February 28, 2020 at 10:50 pm

What is that remote?

28. Aww bollocks then on February 28, 2020 at 10:51 pm

I’m not impressed whatsoever, in fact it looks ??? Lol

29. Christian xxiForza on February 28, 2020 at 10:51 pm

The OG Xbox One can do Dolby Atmos but do not read 4K Blurays and cant do HDR, the ideal console would be the Slim or X model because those can read 4K Blurays and do 4K HDR in general (Slim model doesnt play games at 4K native but is still better than having the 4K Tv displaying at 1080p) and MS is working to have Dolby Vision and DTS X too (I dont know if is already available).

30. matt giunta on February 28, 2020 at 10:52 pm

Noticed no external power amplifier so I guess the yamaha 3080 provides enough power to drive the speakers in this large room.

31. Ossie Bacchus on February 28, 2020 at 10:54 pm

What is that remote?

32. Hi-Fi Haven on February 28, 2020 at 10:55 pm

Hey Caleb thanks for another great video! Awesome setup, love that front wall speaker placement. Love the choice of receiver, and sub.

33. David Rojas on February 28, 2020 at 10:55 pm

– TV is too small for viewing distance.
    – Surround speakers DONT go in the ceiling, so they’ve essentially invalidated the advantage of Atmos overheads.
    – One subwoofer stuffed in a corner is nowhere near enough to balance out the room modes in that space. Fail.

All that money, and they couldn’t get the simplest HT basics right. So frustrating.

34. NOOKEY69 Hard!! on February 28, 2020 at 10:56 pm

That tv is too small for that room!! They could’ve add another sub, to balance out the base!! Where are the surround sound speakers!! They did a piss poor job with that home theater system and tv!!๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

35. jmen8888 on February 28, 2020 at 10:59 pm

Family friendly? I need to be wealthy, and I’m not like most people.

36. T9Con on February 28, 2020 at 10:59 pm

Cool, except for the fact that most people canโ€™t afford any of this.

37. InconvenientlyPlacedTroll on February 28, 2020 at 11:01 pm

Only one subwoofer? AND a kinect???? Fail.

38. Nikhil Aher on February 28, 2020 at 11:01 pm

But Samsung Qled doesnt support the Dolby Atmos

39. stoolz Mclingo on February 28, 2020 at 11:02 pm

does it come with binoculars so you can see the TV?

40. TheMeefive on February 28, 2020 at 11:02 pm

Anytime you use a teeny tiny tv screen you havean entertainment room, not a home theater. All that sound equipment wasted on a tv.

41. Natalie Hy on February 28, 2020 at 11:03 pm

Nice advertisement

42. Franga# on February 28, 2020 at 11:03 pm

*WHY DO YOU GUYS GUYS FROM DOWNLOADING YOUR VIDEOS*
    For the love of YouTube money ???

43. Chris G on February 28, 2020 at 11:04 pm

Very Nice setup ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ

44. bitkahuna on February 28, 2020 at 11:09 pm

Unimpressed by system and video. Scant details. Screen too small, too high, speakers fugly, ceiling surround fail.

45. Scotty J on February 28, 2020 at 11:11 pm

What remote is that?

46. Marvin Solano on February 28, 2020 at 11:11 pm

A always, always go bigger with TVs lol

47. J.D. Hague on February 28, 2020 at 11:14 pm

On first glance I did think the TV was a bit small for the setup. Also, were there no other color options for those speakers? It kind of ruins the flow of the room.

48. Endo on February 28, 2020 at 11:15 pm

Thatโ€™s a really cool home and setup, however, even though lighting is an issue and an OLED would not have worked, I still would not go with a QLED. The Sony Z9F is a much better 75โ€ TV and you could even get an 85โ€ Z9G. Yea probably would not be as bright as the Q, but quality would look better IMO, otherwise a 77โ€ OLED would have been awesome. Also, I personally would have went with a Marantz 8012 or even a Pioneer Elite over Yamaha but thatโ€™s just me. Those Origin speakers are just way too big for an โ€œon-wallโ€ setup next to a 75โ€ like he stated. Otherwise nice setup

49. Sankalp Gupta on February 28, 2020 at 11:16 pm

Where is rear speaker ?

50. Rex amillion on February 28, 2020 at 11:16 pm

That nice setup but no Xbox One X or PS4 Pro. Fail.