EEVblog #168 – How To Set Up An Electronics Lab

EEVblog #168 – How To Set Up An Electronics Lab

Most items available through HERE: http://www.eevblog.com/amazon

How to set up your own decent electronics lab, what you need, and how much it’ll cost you.
Electronics test equipment, soldering, surface mount, hand tools, and parts.

Links:
Rigol DS1054Z: http://amzn.to/2gN7JPg
BM235 Multimeter: http://amzn.to/2gnhRNC
OWON VDS1022I USB Oscilloscope: http://amzn.to/2hguCer
YiHUA 936 Soldering Station: http://amzn.to/2hjHkcV
Hakko Tips: http://amzn.to/2gnhcvm
Lab PSU: http://amzn.to/2gN3AuD
USB Microscope: http://amzn.to/2hjFdpn
Head Magnifier: http://amzn.to/2gN4uqS
Flux Pen: http://amzn.to/2gnf8Ub
0.3mm solder: http://amzn.to/2hjIwx0
Lead Free solder: http://amzn.to/2hjMF45

Help support Dave by buying any of these items through the link above.

1. Stephen Fellner on March 17, 2020 at 1:56 pm

One thing I would add is a collection of heat shrink tubes. A USB microscope is also extremely useful for PCB inspection (especially SMD).

2. Garry Grierson on March 17, 2020 at 1:57 pm

I’ve bought cheep stuff and expensive ‘branded’ stuff before. No guarantee the ‘branded’ stuff is better than the ‘cheep’ stuff, maybe this video is a bit out of date and cheep stuff is generally better now.

Just saying.

3. manuel Vega on March 17, 2020 at 1:57 pm

I am trying to figure out how long will a 9volt battery power a 9volt relay?  It is a bunch of math that I am not good with.  Can someone help me out?  Great channel and I am just finding it.

4. Lisa long on March 17, 2020 at 1:58 pm

😊Hire Amazon reviewers(USA) and influencers. (Provide free products and commissions)
    💕Electronics, Kids product, Water bottle accessory, Toys, Personal care
    🌹We all need an opportunity to meet each other.
    ✨✨If interested, please contact me.

5. leftyguitar1000 on March 17, 2020 at 1:59 pm

This man is the Steve Irwin of electronics

6. Andy T on March 17, 2020 at 2:00 pm

I thought this was pretty good. I feel like every one of these things I figured out was critical over several years. Definitely go with a name brand soldering iron. For years I thought I couldn’t solder. Or was really bad at it. Id had like 3 Chinese irons. Bought a hakko and it literally changed my life. I have every one of these things.

Where do you get your component kits. They are much nicer than what I see on eBay/amazon/AliExpress

7. AldoSchmedack on March 17, 2020 at 2:01 pm

(Russian voice)
    In Russia equipment use you.

8. Da Boss Baby! on March 17, 2020 at 2:01 pm

all u need to set up a lab is copper wire, a battery, and a multimeter to measure voltage

9. andrew wolf on March 17, 2020 at 2:01 pm

I’d like that equipment but I’d still be missing the most critical part of a lab, knowledge

10. Jeremy Watts on March 17, 2020 at 2:01 pm

I like electronics… i like sex… i like men… understand?

11. Michael Ma on March 17, 2020 at 2:01 pm

Can you speak slowly and short video time?

12. Aussie Lazers on March 17, 2020 at 2:06 pm

G’day Dave, Thanks for the video, made my lab and it’s working out great!

13. David Mecatron on March 17, 2020 at 2:06 pm

How can i set a lab if i live in Africa, i mean where can i get all this used stuff in africa ? We barely have electricity in africa, much less a harbor freight store or ebay.

14. -]Na[-NoMaD on March 17, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Get one of those … *Solder suckers* !

15. Ray Prevailer on March 17, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Fantastic information. Thanks 😊

16. Paul Henning on March 17, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Dave ya should really update this you could easily shave hundreds off the cost of the lab.

17. Stephen Eddy on March 17, 2020 at 2:11 pm

I know it’s an old video Dave, but it isn’t legal to make products containing lead in the EU any longer

18. Michael Costello on March 17, 2020 at 2:11 pm

How come there is no risk when connecting up to mains earth to earth yourself via wrist strap if there is a lightening strike.
    Also what do you use to heat the heat shrink stuff.

19. Rafael Mohl on March 17, 2020 at 2:12 pm

Isn’t it a bit Overkill?

20. Peter Engberg on March 17, 2020 at 2:13 pm

ONE OF THE BEST MOTHER FU**ING THINGS YOU COULD BUY!!!!

21. Informedia Tech on March 17, 2020 at 2:16 pm

OK YOU ARE ASSUMING PEOPLE WHEN FIRST STARTING IN TO ELECTRONICS REPAIR WILL HAVE LOTS OF MONEY TO BUY THE BRANDED STUFF,
    AND THE EXPENSSIVE HAKKOS,
    I STARTED MY ELECTRONIC REPAIR BUSINESS WITH 150€ (170 USD ROUGHLY)
    NOW IM MAKING 10 TIMES THAT IN A SINGLE DAY IN EACH SHOP,
    I DO OWN 4 REBALING MACHINES 25K EUROS EACH WITH X RAY,
    I BUILD THIS SINCE 2008 WHEN I STARTED,
    BUT YOU JUST CANT ASSUME PEOPLE WHEN STARTING WILL HAVE 600 € TO BUY A SINGLE HAKKO SOLDEERING STATION.

22. supadox on March 17, 2020 at 2:17 pm

thanks for this. good video

23. Rýán Túçk on March 17, 2020 at 2:17 pm

Need a good design package.

24. Thomas Aims on March 17, 2020 at 2:20 pm

Very nice title introduction.

25. virus killerism on March 17, 2020 at 2:20 pm

You forgot a nuclear reactor, you can pick one for 1 million dollars, BARGAIN!!!

26. Emiliyan Yankov on March 17, 2020 at 2:23 pm

That’s a lot of unnecessary stuff, i’ve never used a breadboard in my entire life and i intend to never do… Just get what you need for the jobs you do 90% of the time. You can always buy more stuff WHEN actually needed.

27. kcimos on March 17, 2020 at 2:23 pm

a sledge hammer. also for failed projects.

28. Arcsecant on March 17, 2020 at 2:23 pm

Most important thing you need: a specific project you want to do. Without something specific, you’ll have real difficulty just doodling around.

29. Douglas Croxford on March 17, 2020 at 2:27 pm

Informative video but I’m worried you’re about to give yourself a stroke.

30. uni on March 17, 2020 at 2:30 pm

got a metcal soldering iron it came with my beemer…..

31. Arcadecomponents.com on March 17, 2020 at 2:30 pm

The most used piece of test gear in my shop is a logic probe with audio beeper.

32. J Ibrahim on March 17, 2020 at 2:31 pm

Anyone wants to donate some oscilloscope to me 🏃‍♂️

33. Gbenn Gbenn on March 17, 2020 at 2:31 pm

drinking game, take a drink every time he says highly recommended!

34. Robert Box on March 17, 2020 at 2:36 pm

Metcal? €£##€£#

35. H2O- Lobo on March 17, 2020 at 2:37 pm

Oh mg I almost got everything but the extinguisher lol if I get on fire I will have to run if I got time lol. Thank u for this video.

36. Antryg Revok on March 17, 2020 at 2:39 pm

for the magnifier, try the Hastings Triplet type:
    flat field view!

for Hot Melt Glue,
    Project Farm’s guy tested ’em all & found that Stanley ( yellow stuff ) is most trustworthy.

Man, what alot of useful info in a short time!

Thank You, Dood!

Salut, Namaste, & Kaizen, eh?

( :

37. Jurie Gryffenberg on March 17, 2020 at 2:39 pm

Great video and channel Dave, thanks a million! Please advise where I can get my hands on either a kit or ready built variable, dual tracking power supply pretty much exactly similar to the one you have at 5:50? I have looked everywhere on the internet but all I can find are fancy programmable, high power and other specialised units. PS, what is the ‘dropout’ LED for?

38. Ned on March 17, 2020 at 2:42 pm

That failed board with the socket on? I would be too miserly to throw out.

39. VejyMonsta on March 17, 2020 at 2:42 pm

Quick side note on the freezer spray. That is a sure fire way of blowing up ESD sensitive parts. Do not spray that onto your product. In a lab test environment on non-product parts, that’s OK, but be mindful. The spray generates hundreds of volts when used that way. The atomizer expels the fluid inside separating it into micro particles. This causes a butt load of static generation. Essentially guaranteeing the next time you touch your part there will be a discharge event.

40. alam md. sam sul on March 17, 2020 at 2:43 pm

egolo korte onik taka lagey kiporiman take je lage aka ake siktey boley bojate pirbona….bangladeshi takay amar onumanik 5000×12×35 taka+extra 5000×12×35 legese anumanik….onikbasio hote parey…kanu.

41. Dave Stelljes on March 17, 2020 at 2:43 pm

Excellent and very informative video! I’ve built up many of these tools over the years. My "workshop" has decent lighting, but I’ve found that a good headlamp really helps me a considerable amount. The cheap-o models work, but don’t last as long. For example, the Fenix headlamps cost a little more but are durable. The fact that you can adjust the brightness level makes it an invaluable tool.

42. sdriza on March 17, 2020 at 2:43 pm

Clamp meter

43. neonbelly on March 17, 2020 at 2:44 pm

HIGHLY RECOMMEND

44. Aerox ⁣ on March 17, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Noticing the numberplate from Back To The Future in the background – "Yep, I trust this guy!" **keeps on watching** 😂

45. Mark Brown on March 17, 2020 at 2:44 pm

I would like to talk to you about you using our product. contact me at mbrown@versatilepower.com

46. technics6 on March 17, 2020 at 2:46 pm

After 15 years in bussiness I realized that I need proper bin. And I bought it 3 days before I saw this video. I used to throw away things into cardboard boxes that came with parts "from internet".

47. boredbenny on March 17, 2020 at 2:50 pm

you talk like a bunnings commercial its great

48. Electro Man on March 17, 2020 at 2:50 pm

My flux capacitor has stopped fluxing.

What test equipment do I need to fix it.

49. Jont Noneya on March 17, 2020 at 2:51 pm

That’s really cool – thanks for all the info.
    I took an electronics class in college and just thought I could never afford all the "stuff" needed for my own lab. I’m starting to sense how wrong I was. Man I gotta get back into this stuff….it’s so interesting to me.

50. MegaGoat on March 17, 2020 at 2:54 pm

Is 20MHz really all I’ll need?