Why is OK COMPUTER so good?

Why is OK COMPUTER so good?

Stop being a paranoid android and start doing the work you love with Skillshare: https://skl.sh/middle8-13

Support the channel on Patreon:

Middle 8 Merch is HERE!
Middle 8

Twitter: http://bit.ly/Middle8-Twitter
Instagram: http://bit.ly/Middle8-Instagram

Discover something great in my Spotify Playlists:

#Middle8 #Radiohead #OKComputer

This video is sponsored by Skillshare
Written, voiced & edited by Frank Furtado

——————————-

In 1997, Radiohead released OK Computer.

It took them from a notable British act to the most important rock band on the planet. It was profoundly human, compositionally creative and carried themes that are just as — if not more potent today — as they were 20 years ago. OK Computer marked the end of an era, setting a new path for rock music. Without it, Muse, Coldplay or Arcade Fire wouldn’t exist as they do now.

In Radiohead’s attempt to subvert mainstream trends and conventions, they ironically became more successful for it. Creating their most conceptually important release and one of the greatest albums of all time.

——————————-

Disclaimer:
I do not own any of the videos, photos or music used in this video. They are used for education and discussion purposes under fair use law.

1. zebble ganubi on March 17, 2020 at 1:56 pm

ah come here, this is a great video and all but its a bit of a stretch to say the start of exit music was inspired my johhny cash’s song. its just an acoustic guitar. it could have been any song from the 50 years

2. James Sharman on March 17, 2020 at 1:56 pm

In rainbows is the best Radiohead album 🤷‍♂️

3. Graxxor Anandro Vidhelssen on March 17, 2020 at 1:57 pm

I have been writing and deleting this sentence for nearly 15 minutes now, trying to come up with something that adequately demonstrates the profound effect OK Computer had on me in 1997 and the powerful feelings it still evokes every single time I hear the opening chords of Airbag… But I have clearly failed…

4. Pedro Rodrigues on March 17, 2020 at 1:59 pm

your editing is so good, really impressive. congratulations, thats a rare thing to see around here

5. Slackboy72 on March 17, 2020 at 2:00 pm

Lot of gasping at straws here.

6. Keyser Söze on March 17, 2020 at 2:03 pm

I won’t stop, I won’t stop for nothing

7. liquid metal on March 17, 2020 at 2:04 pm

Because Radiohead made it.

8. Sam Rojas on March 17, 2020 at 2:05 pm

You should make a video about Frances The Mute by The Mars Volta

9. John D. Zaranek on March 17, 2020 at 2:06 pm

My top 5 fav albums of all time

10. Cameron Sterling on March 17, 2020 at 2:08 pm

Kid A was just as good as OK computer

11. adrianos198 on March 17, 2020 at 2:09 pm

The Tourist is a beautiful song.

12. Kiki Lang on March 17, 2020 at 2:10 pm

You miss why Radiohead is so amazing. For years they were suffing under the contract of the record company. They were being force to produce comercial, two and half minute songs, and they fought endless, not to do that. So when their contract was up, they produced an album, and let people down load it for free. If you liked it, you could pay whatever you wanted. One third of the people who down loaded the work, pay a dollar to Radion head. They made more money off that free work, than their whole career before. Ther toured, and everyone loved Radiohead for make the work free. The fans begged for an hard copy. Radio head produce a CD of the free work, but they threw in a bunch of extra stuff, so people wouldn’t feel like they were being ripe off. It was their best selling CD. Radio head is amazing for that alone.

13. kevinho0681 on March 17, 2020 at 2:12 pm

i listened to ok computer when it came out. didnt see the big fuss. discovered it again recently. the story in it is just as relevant now as it ever was. quite rightly a contender for best album, ever

14. John Williams on March 17, 2020 at 2:12 pm

I don’t know why Radiohead’s ok computer is so good. They were dreadful before it came out.

15. Clayton Anderson on March 17, 2020 at 2:13 pm

Always loved Ok Computer but after watching this video it’s insane to see how it hits today’s world harder than it did in the 90’s. Thom’s paranoia was spot on. Gives me chils.

16. Richard Olsson on March 17, 2020 at 2:13 pm

What about the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy references? The biggest being the very phrase "Ok, computer" which is (likely?) a reference to a line in that book, which also features a character named Marvin, a.k.a "The paranoid android", like the song from the album. I was intrigued when I read the book and understood the references in the album I had already fallen in love with.

17. doug harrison on March 17, 2020 at 2:15 pm

I remember hearing this on the radio at the time, Paranoid Anroid or Khama Police I’m not sure, the radio was saying how fans had turned on them for doing something different. I had really only heard of them before because of Creep, but I really liked this album.

18. MultiCappie on March 17, 2020 at 2:15 pm

*Narrator* : Arcade Fire, they, really just came out of nowhere.

*Canada* : Are we nowhere to you?

19. Chris CZE on March 17, 2020 at 2:18 pm

I discovered music in summer 2002 when I was turning 13, and Radiohead became very important for me around that time. This album in particular was always my favorite of theirs and resonated deeply with me as a confused and isolated teenager. The despair is real, but there is always a glimmer of wonder and hope around the corner. I don’t think this album is exactly perfect though – Lucky and The Tourist were always my least favorites, but the first 10 songs, especially taken as a whole, are so good I consider this album perfect anyway. This album still resonates with me nearly 20 years later, and perhaps even more as an adult. Truly timeless.

20. Andrew Jensen on March 17, 2020 at 2:20 pm

Excellent observations. This album changed my ear for music permanently.

21. Ryan Edwards on March 17, 2020 at 2:21 pm

The Bends and In Rainbows are better. Ok Computer was ok ,the two albums I mentioned are brilliant.

22. Derek Gzaskow on March 17, 2020 at 2:21 pm

Panned at first, and then voted album of the decade. It took all of us 3 listenings to get the sonic stuff!

23. Cameron Tillery on March 17, 2020 at 2:22 pm

It’s so good because it’s a prophetic album. A lot of Radiohead’s songs are like a prophecy. Look at Hail To The Thief and compare it to the Trump administration or similar administrations from earlier times. Just timeless stories set to great music.

24. Pc Pc on March 17, 2020 at 2:23 pm

Agreed with all said until kid A pop. Ok computer was a pinnacle moment in my life. I detest nostalgia (marvel nonsense) but ok computer soundtracks a change of lifestyle for me. I was hoping for more ok computer with kid a bit after a few listens was pleasantly surprised. They’ve kept reinventing themselves time and time again.

25. Deyaboo u on March 17, 2020 at 2:23 pm

The first time I listened to ok computer, I was high as a kite and it hit on a whole different level

26. sparklyunicorn on March 17, 2020 at 2:24 pm

Um excuse you…Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief are all amazing!!🤦‍♀️

27. minorscratch on March 17, 2020 at 2:27 pm

OK DOOMER 😯💨💨

28. Dick Blather on March 17, 2020 at 2:29 pm

I just listened to it constantly for about two years. I had no idea anybody else liked it.

29. Madeleine Klassen on March 17, 2020 at 2:30 pm

TALK ABOUT MELANIE MARTINEZ THERE IS SO MUCH TO LEARN AND DECODE IN ALBUMS

30. Gavin O'Connor on March 17, 2020 at 2:30 pm

exit music has to be one of the most beautiful songs ever written. one of the very few thats brought me to tears

31. Faunus Cancerous on March 17, 2020 at 2:31 pm

It might sound strange but I think of this album as a representation of autism, like they were trying to reach out to be understood yet still seemingly missing the point in ways. I love the lonely feel of their music, helps me through my own struggles

32. ALX on March 17, 2020 at 2:33 pm

is fitter happier a song?!?!

33. Mark Brierley on March 17, 2020 at 2:36 pm

Oxfordshur … not OxfordshIRE ….

34. daneguitarist1 on March 17, 2020 at 2:38 pm

this is a great vid Midster, keep it up, subbed, and liked
    im a composer if you need anything

daneguitarist@gmail.com

35. Kevin Harris on March 17, 2020 at 2:40 pm

This album has been the soundtrack to my life. I was 19 when it came out, and its still insanely good.

I love all of their albums, and even most of their solo endeavors. OK Computer is really special though. Being years and years removed from all of their albums being my favorite at one time or another, OK Computer stands out and above the rest.

As Steven Colbert asked, “So Thom, how does it feel to be right?”

Name another band or artist, who releases album after album spanning the decades, where each one is so completely different, but equally as brilliant. It doesn’t happen.

Yet….I know few people who appreciate Radiohead the way that I do. Most people find them pretentious. Whatever.

36. wozzlepop on March 17, 2020 at 2:40 pm

OK Computer perfectly encapsulated that horrible existential clusterphobia of the UK at that time.
    It was such a massive hit because it spoke to the middle classes almost exclusively and was relatable to pretty much all ages.
    The UK in the late 80’s and 90’s was fecking horrible. I mean, its still one of the worst places to live anywhere in the developed world, but then it was dire. Decades of recession and heroin ripping the heart out of every community. We all thought things could only get better in 1996. How wrong we were about that .. *sigh

37. Chris Barrott on March 17, 2020 at 2:42 pm

This set off my Google home mini

38. Sky Arrow Bridge on March 17, 2020 at 2:42 pm

First it was perceived and conceived to be a masterpiece and thus the end product is a masterpiece.

39. David D on March 17, 2020 at 2:43 pm

To be in the crowd singing along to no surprises today shows just how prescient radiohead was. Thousands of people singing “take down the government, they don’t speak for us.” They understood, now we do too.

40. Zachary Shey on March 17, 2020 at 2:45 pm

But instead they went on to release kid a….

41. Scott Falconer on March 17, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Brillaint analogy of one of the greatest albums of all time.

42. Stephen Walsh on March 17, 2020 at 2:48 pm

Great video, honestly my favorite on the site

43. cyber crashers tv on March 17, 2020 at 2:48 pm

"Now, a message from our masters" Holds so much weight now, with the whole ‘people being hacked by emails impersonating sponsors’ thing

44. maskei on March 17, 2020 at 2:49 pm

This album trash bro

45. TagusMan on March 17, 2020 at 2:50 pm

OK Computer is a masterpiece for sure, but The Bends is somehow a better album. On the Beatle-meter: The Bends is Radiohead’s Revolver and OK Computer is their Sgt Pepper. OK Computer was their biggest album and gets all the attention and acclaim, but The Bends sets the precedent and the songs rock a bit harder.

46. KC2Lucky on March 17, 2020 at 2:51 pm

*oxford-shire* oof

47. Some_Russian_Kid on March 17, 2020 at 2:51 pm

what was the intro song?

48. Daniel Bautista on March 17, 2020 at 2:52 pm

This is awesome man, I learned more than I thought there was there. Great video!

49. The Riff Writer on March 17, 2020 at 2:53 pm

Although I feel this album is instrumentally perfect I’m just conditioned to appreciate rhyming and choruses and the lyrical harmonies (what made Cobain God) are virtually non-existent.

50. Saudade on March 17, 2020 at 2:54 pm

I love your Radiohead content man, awesome stuff