Don't Panic-Buy Computer Parts Just Because the Internet Says So

Don't Panic-Buy Computer Parts Just Because the Internet Says So

We’ll be talking about responsible buying practices and not panicking to buy a commodity just because stock might dwindle. Also features first-hand factory info.
Sponsor: Buy Gigabyte’s X570 Master (Amazon – https://geni.us/WJgNK)

SUPPORT OUR UPCOMING TRIP
The best way to support our work is through our store: https://store.gamersnexus.net/

Like our content? Please consider becoming our Patron to support us: http://www.patreon.com/gamersnexus

As we were finalizing our packing to fly to Taiwan, we realized we were in an advantaged and unique position to comment on the recent trend of whether you should “buy now or wait” for computer hardware as a result of the current “human malware” situation. We’ve been working with our own factory contacts to produce GN store products and also have first-hand knowledge working with factories in Taiwan for tour videos, so we can comment more directly on what’s really going on. This video is split into two halves: The first half is an opinion piece that talks about responsible buying habits with commodities, while the second is a fact-based look at what’s really going on in the PC hardware world. We talk about pricing, availability, and just being a reasonable human rather than freaking out and buying things that aren’t really needed just because you think someone else might get it first.

** Please like, comment, and subscribe for more! **

Links to Amazon and Newegg are typically monetized on our channel (affiliate links) and may return a commission of sales to us from the retailer. This is unrelated to the product manufacturer. Any advertisements or sponsorships are disclosed within the video (“this video is brought to you by”) and above the fold in the description. We do not ever produce paid content or “sponsored content” (meaning that the content is our idea and is not funded externally aside from whatever ad placement is in the beginning) and we do not ever charge manufacturers for coverage.

Follow us in these locations for more gaming and hardware updates:

t: http://www.twitter.com/gamersnexus
f: http://www.facebook.com/gamersnexus
w: http://www.gamersnexus.net/

Host, Editorial: Steve Burke
Video: Josh Svoboda
Factory B-roll: Andrew Coleman

1. shape on March 23, 2020 at 2:11 pm

the malware is the ILOVEYOU virus

2. Frost on March 23, 2020 at 2:11 pm

I built mine now because I feared having Cyberpunk come out and being stuck with my 8 year old rig. Now I am ready for High settings cyberpunk.

3. ProxUrAimz on March 23, 2020 at 2:13 pm

I wish I panic-bought my shit before I got owned by oil industry and currency worth -_- Ain’t nobody warned me about that

4. HolyDevilKing on March 23, 2020 at 2:14 pm

I hate all this panic. A few days ago I just wanted to go buy a few snacks at the store and had to wait an hour in the checkout line despite all 15 or so lines being open because of all the people who are panic buying way too much food and toilet paper as if this virus is going to be the end of the world.

5. kyoko703 on March 23, 2020 at 2:14 pm

Right now, a trip to Taiwan is probably a good decision because they are leading the way in responding to human malware.

6. not donovan on March 23, 2020 at 2:14 pm

Crazy that I just decided to build my first pc in February, mainly because of income tax, and then all this shit hits the fan

7. Rocket League Revolution on March 23, 2020 at 2:15 pm

Thank you for putting things in perspective Steve. GPUs are apparently the new bread.

8. Maanus Mei on March 23, 2020 at 2:15 pm

Good job, Steve! Again

9. FordPower5288 on March 23, 2020 at 2:15 pm

I was building a new computer now anyway, because I get my yearly bonus from work at this time… In the waste category, my old computer is going to a friend of mine. So he can play games with me (and I can get him off those pesky consoles.) and his wife can use it for CAD to help with her becoming a civil engineer.

10. byteframe on March 23, 2020 at 2:19 pm

Dressing up like this for clicks is irresponsible.

11. CookieMonster on March 23, 2020 at 2:25 pm

OMFG! I panicked and bought a new Ryzen rig. I got to tell you, it has never felt so good to panick! ;P

12. Ensign Nemo on March 23, 2020 at 2:27 pm

0:55 "human malware" ? What is this, a horror movie where the virus appears if you say its name?

13. Shim Shom on March 23, 2020 at 2:27 pm

Bloody awesome, good on you GN, great message. Edit- I subscribed cos I found the presenter’s high intellect and vocabulary engaging, and now Im glad to find I share a similar eco-friendly and consumerism sentiment with GN, as outlined in this vid.

14. 2fast4all on March 23, 2020 at 2:27 pm

In the 24 hours I’ve gone to Microcenter and the lines are backing up to the BYOPC section. People are buying new rigs/laptops/monitors left and right. Something tells me there will be a government shut down soon…

15. ed p on March 23, 2020 at 2:28 pm

Steve just wants you to not buy the computers now, because he wants all the computers for himself!!!…. . .. .

16. g g on March 23, 2020 at 2:28 pm

SELL YOUR STOCKS BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE! Buy all parts from ebay with the money!

17. CanisSuperious on March 23, 2020 at 2:30 pm

But did you buy toilet paper?

18. bojan mitrovic on March 23, 2020 at 2:31 pm

u SHOULD BUY IT NOW STEVE !!!! used thou…i found a used msi 1080 for 270 euros…roughly 300 usd.That is crazy low

19. ZedsDeadOK on March 23, 2020 at 2:34 pm

Yes very good sensible advice, but until Norton, AVG, McAfee or Kaspersky come up with a anti virus solution it’s not going to be over in a few months, the genie has been let out of the bottle, the impact is unfortunately literally life changing for many, computer parts will be the least of all our worries. Stay safe and healthy people.

20. Marco Antonio Díaz on March 23, 2020 at 2:37 pm

Worst advice I’ve ever take.

21. Andrew Hummel on March 23, 2020 at 2:37 pm

Your beard renders that mask useless as it prevents you from getting a proper seal.

22. Alan Walkman on March 23, 2020 at 2:38 pm

First the cryptocurrency bullshit, now this. It seems to me whenever I get interested in buying a PC, some economic non-sense gets in the way of it.

23. Otto Ernst on March 23, 2020 at 2:41 pm

I did my part in panic buying pc hardware got my m.2 before it shot up

24. Draken on March 23, 2020 at 2:41 pm

I mean, im literally watching GPUS vanish from my local stores. Every day, a new GPU is out of stock with suppliers.

Its clearly having an effect, and each week its only going to cost more and more as stock drops.

25. John Smith on March 23, 2020 at 2:45 pm

The virgin foxconn??? Who’s the Chad then?

26. sean metzger on March 23, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Wait, they’re demonetizing videos that talk about the virus?

27. Wolfgangus on March 23, 2020 at 2:47 pm

Honestly, I just used it as an excuse to put it on my credit card and get it 2 months before I would have gotten it otherwise, so….

28. TheDude on March 23, 2020 at 2:47 pm

I didnt even know that was a thing. I just purchased a PC yesterday because starting next Monday my company has all the workers working from home for two weeks to avoid us having to come in. I guess I got lucky the PC i got has a 2080 Super in it and a i5 9700kf with a 1TB SSD and 16gigs of ram for 1,400$ the GPU had a 200$ sale on it. I only bought the PC because I know if my two kids also get school off the three of us having to share 1 PC for any extended time could be a bit of a nightmare. If I had known there would be that kind of interest I would of bought a few of them to flip on Ebay haha.

29. Gamers Nexus on March 23, 2020 at 2:47 pm

Regarding the "must be a jab at [Linus / Jay] comments, it really isn’t. They spoke their minds, we spoke ours. We all are capable of independent thought without it always being a reference to each other. I was commenting on what I saw from the comments online, not their videos.
    If there’s something worth considering a panic purchase of, though, it’s obviously the Yeston Cute Pet case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62oPBdI9CSA // We’ll be in Taiwan starting this week. Support our trip & get access to behind-the-scenes content on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/gamersnexus

30. Stedman75 on March 23, 2020 at 2:48 pm

I started looking to buy a all bells whistles pc for pay day on Friday, on pc specialist ive seen every high end cpu disappear off the list.
    I understand what youre saying about relax its not food/water, its pc hardware etc. First world problems and all that, but it does seem that jay and linus were correct.
    On since sunday ive seen 9940, 10980xe, 10940x, and now 10920x go out of stock, one per day.
    There were others too.. i wanted a 10920x but now i will have to go for 10900x instead, but i bet that wont last until friday

31. Utkan Gezer on March 23, 2020 at 2:50 pm

I did panic-design the gaming rig, because I wanted to enjoy it during the forecasted quarantine. Planning for the quarantine time. It just makes sense! I would be bored without it…

32. aurelia eavum on March 23, 2020 at 2:51 pm

This advice is just focused on rich people and businesses. It’s bad advice for people like me. My pc is 6 years and uses a gtx 770 and i5 2500k. My pc is still working so I wasn’t planning on buying a new one. But if the pc breaks in the next few months I’ve got a huge risk if the supply died down.

33. S KK on March 23, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Do we need to worry about condoms?

34. Cody Jones on March 23, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Stay safe.

35. Robert Gibson on March 23, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Every computer part on amazon won’t ship until next month 🙁

36. Philslaya on March 23, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Human malware lol

37. Wuba on March 23, 2020 at 2:54 pm

Stonks

38. lyric Cook on March 23, 2020 at 2:54 pm

No toilet paper

39. MKrap on March 23, 2020 at 2:56 pm

Time to change my i3-3220T

40. Themigetparish on March 23, 2020 at 2:57 pm

I was trying to do a new build before it hit the u.s. 🙁

41. whoopdeedoo on March 23, 2020 at 2:59 pm

Instructions unclear. Sold my house and bought a truckload of computer parts. Please advise.

Seriously though I appreciate you being the voice of reason, subscribed!

42. bco1981 on March 23, 2020 at 3:01 pm

Too late… Already got the rtx 2080 ti, in fear of prices going up. And the new 3080 would be hard to get and extremly expensive.

43. Comico world on March 23, 2020 at 3:01 pm

My laptop is spinning it’s only one fan at full speed and all I’m doing is watching youtube. So, I’m eagerly waiting to upgrade from AMD that I hate (A6) to AMD I might love (4000HS).
    And I found some leaked images of ASUS 4000HS series laptops. So I think you should check out it and if it’s reliable then give us a detailed video.

By videos; check out my new old videos which I’ve made on this very very slow laptop hope you’ll love them. Please like them(exhausted face emoji) because those are indications of real hard work and a whole lot of patience. So, plz check out.

I’ll link my personal favorites here –
    1. (Marvel)Civil War Trailer (Fanmade) in War Movie Style || Iron-Man Vs Captain America – https://youtu.be/CQYfAlZ-3Qk
    2.(Marvel) Redemption feat. Avengers (Musical Video) – https://youtu.be/Apjn_jG6ZC0
    3. I Am Iron-Man || H. Stark Dialogues || My Greatest Creation – https://youtu.be/0R-ADIY08G0
    *Do Check out please*

44. Henry S on March 23, 2020 at 3:01 pm

haha classic mayan doomsday joke…

45. Kevin Nelsen on March 23, 2020 at 3:02 pm

Well, for me I wanted to get something that was faster than an i7 4770, so I went ahead and found an i7 8700k on craigslist for 300 bucks. With that I had to get a new motherboard and RAM. But this was because I wanted to get something that lasted.

46. Kratatch on March 23, 2020 at 3:04 pm

Facemask on Graphicscard is a must, good work there.

47. Michael Hart on March 23, 2020 at 3:05 pm

I want the kitty gpu!

48. nobody on March 23, 2020 at 3:05 pm

I’ve been wanting to build a PC since I was 12, my first big check comes in and corona comes along.. I still bought all the parts because I work from home programming and It’ll I guess keep me entertained while in quarantine. ( my current workstation is a laptop from 2013, alienware, ew I know.. ) Originally I was going to wait for it to all blow over, but it seems like it’ll be here for a while. So I panic bought, cause I know this PC wont last until then.

49. David Alexander on March 23, 2020 at 3:07 pm

Just send me all your spare pc parts

50. Nj Rh on March 23, 2020 at 3:09 pm

Don’t worry so much about Linus.