This Why You Need a Victory Garden

This Why You Need a Victory Garden

Victory Gardens helped average people get through two World Wars by improving morale, providing food, and providing an opportunity to focus on a purpose that helped communities. Gardening is a great way to benefit physical and mental well-being. Creating a Victory Garden as a new or experienced gardener can help relieve stress and anxiety in troubling times.

1942 Victor Garden Pamphlet:

Read the book “The Wartime Garden: Digging for Victory”

#EverythingGardening #GardenerScott #VictoryGarden

Click this link to SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w?view_as=subscriber?sub_confirmation=1

You can help support the GardenerScott channel in four ways and it won’t cost you anything:

1.) Be part of the community by liking videos, subscribing, clicking the bell, commenting, and sharing.

2.) Watch the ads whenever you can. It just takes a few seconds and helps me a lot.

3.) If you use Amazon and want to buy anything at all, click through with this link: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=gardenerscott-20

4) Click on this affiliate link to TubeBuddy, a great way to explore information about your favorite YouTube channels: https://www.tubebuddy.com/GardenerScott

It doesn’t cost you any extra, but it helps me pay for plants, gardening supplies, and all of the other costs associated with running a YouTube channel.

Thank you for your support!

As an Amazon affiliate I benefit from qualified purchases.

1. Alias KaSiin on April 1, 2020 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for the history lesson! I love the idea of growing your own food, the stress-relieving factor of it and especially the joy of gathering crops from your own land and being able, to some degree, be self sufficent.

2. Autumn Spring on April 1, 2020 at 2:28 pm

I can only direct sow my seeds. Any tips?

3. Sibyl Cushman on April 1, 2020 at 2:28 pm

I love all your videos, but this one has to be one of my favorites. Thank you for the encouragement and inspiration. Just what we need during this crazy time.

4. Garden Jen's Journey on April 1, 2020 at 2:30 pm

Great video Scott! I’m increasing my garden space a bit, for this very reason. I’ve been outside for the last 4 days, working in the garden. Feels so good to be getting it ready for a new year.

5. Monhnae Harris on April 1, 2020 at 2:30 pm

I echo the person above – thank you for the encouragement! Here’s to victory!!

6. Trần Thị Duyên on April 1, 2020 at 2:34 pm

Xin chào anh

7. Adam Petherick on April 1, 2020 at 2:34 pm

I love the history behind your stories.. I am going to plan not . Just a garden this year.but going to do a . Victory garden to help family in Friends in the time of need

8. mike k on April 1, 2020 at 2:35 pm

I do not understand a negative thumbs down, if you dont like the video, just leave…

9. Fiveminutegardener Daly & Knight on April 1, 2020 at 2:35 pm

I normally grow on my allotment here in the UK but unfortunately due to travel restrictions it’s not quite possible to be there working so I’m trying to turn as much space in my front and back gardens to food production. I’ve even built a planter over my trash cans at the side of the house

10. Dawn Colorado on April 1, 2020 at 2:35 pm

I used to watch the Victory Garden show on PBS when I was a little kid. I already had my seeds ordered and garden planned before the pandemic, but now I’m going to grow more than my son and I need to share with neighbors and friends along with the eggs from my hens that I’ve already been sharing. I have a suburban yard now but the hens and garden give me the feeling of acreage again and it’s lovely to be able to share.

11. Carole Palmer on April 1, 2020 at 2:39 pm

Excellent video ~ thanks so much!!! 😎 👍 I wanted to share another resource: Greg Peterson of the Urban Farm in Phoenix, AZ has started a "Victory Garden Challenge 2020", with free online classes daily: https://urbanfarm.lpages.co/daily-gardening-classes/ Greg, his team and other presenters cover an assortment of topics that are relevant no matter where people live or how much gardening experience they have, with opportunities for chat and questions.

It’s exciting to see everybody getting more interested in growing food and sharing their stories. I truly appreciate all you are doing to keep the positive energy growing as well. Let’s all enjoy gardening!!! 🌈 🌞 🌱🌸

12. Ohskelily Wurarah on April 1, 2020 at 2:42 pm

👍👍👍👌☺️

13. Tom bauder on April 1, 2020 at 2:42 pm

There is nothing more relaxing that gardening

14. Randal Marshik on April 1, 2020 at 2:43 pm

Hey Mr. Gardening Scott do you have a Facebook group page? I want to share pictures of my plants and see yours and others as well.

15. Dee C on April 1, 2020 at 2:43 pm

I love the idea of bringing back the Victory Gardens . My grandmother told me of Victory Gardens during the depression era and after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I do wish people could and would come together in good times as they do in bad times and I think a Victory Garden is just the ticket.

16. Dan Koerner on April 1, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Wish I could give you 1,000 likes.

17. Fran V on April 1, 2020 at 2:47 pm

Hi Gardener Scott. I have had a small garden for several years, containers & a couple of flowerbeds. A few weeks ago I felt a strong prompting to do more. I began expanding my garden to include several beds to build a Victory Garden. I think that many of us are thinking alike. Working hard in the garden has been a great stress reliever and good exercise. I have decided to grow more of the things I usually buy in the store. Luckily I have a number of seed packets & saved seeds.

I had an epiphany with some potatoes a few weeks ago. On a whim, I planted some sprouted potatoes at Christmas time and now the plants were ready to harvest. I got 15 lbs of red potatoes. They were wonderful and not much work. So, I planted more.

I don’t know what the future brings, but I can grow some things to help keep our family fed.

Thanks for all that you do.

18. Bill Cereske on April 1, 2020 at 2:50 pm

BRAVO, Scott! Very inspirational, and looking forward to good future! My indoor "greenhouse" is exploding with new plant life – much in response to your videos. Ready to transplant when the outdoor weather gets warmer

19. John Hurt on April 1, 2020 at 2:52 pm

As an amateur gardener and history lover I really appreciate this video. Happy harvesting to you!

20. Natural Beauty on April 1, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Question , do you need to harden off plants if they have been living inside with a fan? Thanks.

21. Elbert Hardy on April 1, 2020 at 2:52 pm

So right. I echo what you said. Gardening is a great way to relieve stress and strain due to our common enemy. By the way, I learned today, corona virus and most others can easily be killed in 20 minutes with a hair dryer. Largely, the viruses lodge in the nasal passages, then spread to the bronchial tubes and lungs. By they have an Achilles heel. They can tolerate freezing temps but die in heat over 133 degrees. By inhaling hot air it kills the virus. A Sauna should do the trick by just inhaling the hot air for 20 minutes. In Saudi Arabian deserts, people live everyday with that.
    So, a hair dryer can replace a Sauna by blowing into your nostrils, being careful not to neglect hydrating your face with a spray bottle and drinking plenty of water. Keep a spray bottle and when your face is getting hot, turn off the dryer and spritz. This technique came out in 1984 in a book. Something like ‘How to cure the common cold and flu’. I’ll see if I can find it. I’ve never tried it and a Doctor would probably laugh at this, but the way it kills the virus is the heat disables the germ’s ability to reproduce. Then the heat simply melts it to death. It’s certainly worth a (careful) try.

22. Sky Warp on April 1, 2020 at 2:53 pm

Great Video Scott! Would love to be out. However……..I still have 3 feet of snow covering my yard and I live in the lower 48! Will start germination for slow growers in a couple weeks though. Will be making some cold frames too to stave off the boredom.

23. Steve Frederick Limbwood Studio on April 1, 2020 at 2:54 pm

Good advice friend! I’ve been working on expanding my garden while staying home on my property. I have started plants ( with your help) and I’m building more beds and some wicking containers. The work gives me focus on the future in a positive way. Thanks for the inspiration. Blessings
    Steve.

24. Janalyn Voigt on April 1, 2020 at 2:55 pm

I was just thinking that we need to encourage people to plant victory gardens. Thanks for the video. Sharing!

25. Тамара Белка on April 1, 2020 at 2:55 pm

Thank you so much! This video is very inspirational! I have a small backyard, mostly shaded and a dear problem. Deers come for many hostas inherited from previous owner. Fence is out of question, unless there is a cheap way to do so. The backyard is hilly and water drainage is poor. Again, drainage needs money. I have a patio, that is sunny enough and small place in front of the house with sun but it comes with the deer problem. I think I can use patio for container growing. Overwhelmed, but trying to read and watch videos to educate myself. My question is – what Can I grow that is shade tolerant/not necessarily deer resistant, shade tolerant/ deer resistant and moderately sunny but deer resistant? I want to use as much space as it is possible.

26. Rob Aldridge on April 1, 2020 at 2:58 pm

Thank You for posting this Scott, God Bless

27. Rob OX on April 1, 2020 at 2:58 pm

I can’t wait until you start planting. Please film a lot. 🙏🏻

28. Lisa Gilmore on April 1, 2020 at 2:58 pm

Well said Scott…

29. Patrick Drohan on April 1, 2020 at 2:59 pm

The UK called for this today. See the Telegraph.

30. William ODell on April 1, 2020 at 2:59 pm

What a great idea that could be implemented, we just need to get people inspired. If we could get people motivated, do we have the seed volume available that would be required to make it happen? I have been seeing shortages of seeds that I have been trying to purchase. The out of stock tag is on many varieties and it is on multiple suppliers. Is there a run on seeds like toilet paper taking place?? Ask yourself how can we promote this great idea in your local area to inspire people to grow a Victory garden for themselves. Gardener Scott any ideas you could share with us?

31. Richard Simpson on April 1, 2020 at 3:01 pm

Great message

32. Daniel Fisch on April 1, 2020 at 3:01 pm

Thank you for sharing the history of the Victory Garden. Being a 9/11 First Responder survivor with some health issues, gardening keeps me occupied both physically and mentally, and it’s my happy place. I truly appreciate all of your videos which I find inspirational, motivational and educational. God Bless, stay safe and be well.

33. Michael Whaley on April 1, 2020 at 3:01 pm

I’ve noticed a lot of my friends on social media posting about their gardens, even some who had never gardened before. I will share your video with them. I’m planning to double my own garden this year. Thanks for the info!

34. Tom Angle on April 1, 2020 at 3:02 pm

If you are waiting on the government, you are gonna be disappointed.

35. Suburban Homestead Survival on April 1, 2020 at 3:06 pm

This video is fantastic. I started my channel for the same reason you are talking about, this pandemic made me think of the victory gardens.I’m not old enough to remember them but my mom does. My videos are not as well done but I’m having fun and distracting myself while at home. Thanks Scott for the info, the more of us that spread similar messages the more people will grow their own food and feel better.. I’m going to share your video and if people want a not so finely down channel you can join me on Suburban homestead survival.

36. Karl Becker on April 1, 2020 at 3:06 pm

Funny sitting here watching your video eating a salad made up mostly from my garden (Mizuna, Arugula, chicory, tomatoes). Thinking back to my first exposure to gardening as well as a "victory garden" was in the middle 70’s when President Ford called for them (as well as other actions) to help defeat inflation (WIN). Today I enjoy growing my own food even in small areas and different containers. While a lot of America is starting their gardens, some of my "crops" will be ending soon due to the heat and humidity of Southwest Florida.

Thank you for this and all the other videos!

37. steven fox on April 1, 2020 at 3:07 pm

Hi Gardener Scott loved your video. I have e been ramping up my vege for a victory Garden for the last two weeks. I give a lot of vege away as it is but I can see I need to do more for the coming months.
    I was very interested about your comments on WW 1 and 2 victory Garden. I knew the UK did so, but wasn’t aware of the states doing it.
    We are in lockdown here in New Zealand so lots of gardening to do. Heading into our winter I wish you and all of America well in the coming months. Please stay safe and well. Regards Steve NZ

38. Natural Beauty on April 1, 2020 at 3:07 pm

Love the quote on Audrey Hepburn. Thanks for this very encouraging video. Can you tell me what video editor you use for YouTube. In this time I have found time to start a YT channel for gardening. I’m having problems using the basic YT editor. Any tips. Thanks. 💜 your channel.

39. Greg Williams Honeybright Farms on April 1, 2020 at 3:07 pm

I’m glad you brought up this topic. I’ve been thinking victory garden for weeks now. I’m not a you tube producer, but I’ve considered doing a Victory garden video for friends and family here in South Louisiana. People who have never set foot in a garden center are now asking me questions about gardening and seeds and plants are flying off the shelves right now! I think there’s a great opportunity to educate and encourage people to take a little control over their own food security.

40. Tiny Jungle Joy on April 1, 2020 at 3:08 pm

Absolutely! Now is a great time to garden

41. RealNickGerber on April 1, 2020 at 3:09 pm

Lovely sentiment. Thanks so much for sharing and for all the advice in the garden.

42. Joseph Spruill on April 1, 2020 at 3:10 pm

There is a not dig way as well….square foot gardening etc…. not saying this ain’t good info

43. Zavia Hope Thomas - Wounded Soul Refuge on April 1, 2020 at 3:13 pm

Well said! Thank you for this one!

44. Richard Liles on April 1, 2020 at 3:14 pm

Thank you for the wonderful video.

45. Changing Things on April 1, 2020 at 3:16 pm

Gardening is hope.

46. Harry Osborne on April 1, 2020 at 3:20 pm

Yes! Gardening is my stress relief for my PTSD. I have seen a big jump in the gardening groups I am in, so people are definitely starting to grow their own. Most of my neighbors now have gardens in their backyard too. I really enjoy gardening, even though I am not that good at it, yet! Lol. Thank you for your videos again they are great!

47. JOHN Vegas on April 1, 2020 at 3:23 pm

I was a first time gardener last year and this year I will be drastically expanding mine

48. Anthony Sinclair on April 1, 2020 at 3:23 pm

I’m Canadian , haven’t served in the military but I have a hankerin’ to say Oorah! Keep the inspirational videos coming. 😎

49. Mike Griffin on April 1, 2020 at 3:24 pm

We have watched a series called " Wartime Farm ". They can be found here on YouTube channel "Farmvids" lots of great information, history.

50. Hailie Blair on April 1, 2020 at 3:24 pm

I Absolutly loved this video, paired with the history lesson it made for a very interesting watch! I personally like hearing about that ol’ timey stuff! It can really make you appritiate how far we have come with things through the years and also help to have a humbling respect for those things that, through tradition, have been carried on.