Electrical Engineering Vs Computer Engineering – How to Pick the Right Major

Electrical Engineering Vs Computer Engineering – How to Pick the Right Major

Support the Channel: https://www.patreon.com/zachstar
PayPal(one time donation): https://www.paypal.me/ZachStarYT

In this video I discuss electrical engineering vs computer engineering and how to know which major is right for you. Both these engineering disciplines share a lot of classes in undergrad. They both encounter circuits, electronics, programming, and plenty of math. Electrical engineers go on to take power, communications, and electromagnetism courses whereas computer engineers take discrete math, computer architecture, and computer networks. In terms of careers both electrical engineering and computer engineering majors can be qualified for many of the same positions. But if you are leaning towards something like power systems or communications then electrical engineering would be a better choice. Then if you are leaning towards computer vision or working on computer hardware, then of course computer engineering would be better. Otherwise you should do research because both these majors can work in a wide range of areas with a lot of overlap. In the video I also discuss computer engineering and electrical engineering projects that may help you decide which major is right for you.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/zachstar/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ImZachStar

1. Ricky S on April 6, 2020 at 2:39 pm

Bro compare Mechanical vs Computer Science Engg

2. Etherio on April 6, 2020 at 2:40 pm

I’m a third year electrical engineering student at A&M uni, and we also take computer architecture. Great video though, nonetheless!

3. ZiqQ on April 6, 2020 at 2:41 pm

I take electrical and electronic cost(engineering)……Will I learn programming to ???

4. ROHITH K on April 6, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Can you do a video on electrical and computer engineering major

5. DoGBroS INC on April 6, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Which is best for gadget,robotics and drone

6. Nasri Jumaidi on April 6, 2020 at 2:46 pm

I am a computer engineer, mostly our jobs are, system administration, Network Admin, IT specialist, we can also be a programmer, we do make hardware and software interface, like robotics, sensors, etc, we also understand electrical, logic gates, electronics, we do design circuits and computer base system. So what we need as a computer engineer is to get updated all the time, technology is updating.

7. Robert Young on April 6, 2020 at 2:47 pm

Computer engineering is harder than electrical engineering as a major for sure, though.

8. Abhi Gowtham on April 6, 2020 at 2:47 pm

Electronics or computer science engineering which is more scope

9. Cringe-Worthy Attitude on April 6, 2020 at 2:49 pm

Very informative if you don’t know alot about both eletrical and computer engineering

10. Gabriel Torres on April 6, 2020 at 2:50 pm

What if I am interested in the aspect of how smart phones and tablets are made (both the hardware and software). Would that still be considered computer engineering, or electrical engineering?

11. scarlet sonic on April 6, 2020 at 2:50 pm

thanks a lot it really helped out .

12. DoGBroS INC on April 6, 2020 at 2:51 pm

Which engineer make mobile phone,laptop,and other device

13. Anwon Dells on April 6, 2020 at 2:54 pm

Can electrical technicians repair appliances like fridges?

14. Mo RBD on April 6, 2020 at 2:55 pm

CE student : I will make circuit without circuit.

15. Frank Bob on April 6, 2020 at 2:56 pm

Dude, thank you for this. I’m also watching your mechanical and electrical engineering vid, all of this info helps prepare myself for college. This is gold! You’re awesome.

16. wakaflockaflame Mango on April 6, 2020 at 2:57 pm

Oeff, dang that’s a lot :(, but isn’t an other way to learn all that easily?.

17. JustaReadingguy on April 6, 2020 at 2:57 pm

Since I got both EE and Physics degrees at the same time, I have to say the math in Physics was far more extensive then in EE. I would spend about 20 minutes in EE homework for each assignment and all weekend on Physics, at least for Quantum mechanics homework.

18. Boulouteifull on April 6, 2020 at 2:58 pm

I’m from a foreign country and was looking to start from scratch and find a new path. Your videos have helped me understand what thoses classes actualy mean and what they are and even how they work. I’ve spend countless hours trying to figure it out on many different univerities websites and you’re the only one that made it understandable. Thank you!!

19. Leelahs Playhouse on April 6, 2020 at 2:58 pm

Verify your electrical circuits on the go! Find: androidcircuitsolver/app.html

20. Christian Espinoza on April 6, 2020 at 3:00 pm

You should do the same kind of videos but for grad school.

21. Dba CFO on April 6, 2020 at 3:03 pm

Wrong depending on school you will be taught everything in electrical including calculus 1,2,3,4 or 1,2 if it is a semester school, you’ll also need differential equations and more..

22. ajai singh on April 6, 2020 at 3:03 pm

Hey i just completed my undergrad studies in electrical engineering. And i would love to spend rest of my life working with life saving robots . For masters what do you suggest .

23. Noorquacker on April 6, 2020 at 3:05 pm

Signals class: _literally just Fourier_
    "No calculus"

24. RJ trend on April 6, 2020 at 3:07 pm

What is the best subject cse or electrical engineering

25. Johnny Hanna on April 6, 2020 at 3:08 pm

there is something called CCE computer and communication engineering so what’s the difference between CCE and CE

26. K on April 6, 2020 at 3:09 pm

You answered the EXACT question I’ve been sorting through for myself. Which is which degree plan would be best for someone who loves hands on architecture but also a chance of getting into pen testing. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!👍👍👍

27. Riku Profits on April 6, 2020 at 3:09 pm

Is there a book for this if yes please tell me I’m really interested in these stuff

28. Beaux Dup on April 6, 2020 at 3:09 pm

Very helpful, thanks for your work!

29. Shakadoo on April 6, 2020 at 3:10 pm

The gay piano intro.

30. MATTE matte on April 6, 2020 at 3:11 pm

Can you explain the engineering physics major?

31. GOD_JDMasterFlex on April 6, 2020 at 3:13 pm

Great vid!!

32. Vwap Trader2019 on April 6, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Does anyone here have a girlfriend?

33. Vandan Khilesh Sharma on April 6, 2020 at 3:22 pm

Thanks man, very helpful.

34. Aidan M on April 6, 2020 at 3:23 pm

Electrical Engineering is to Computer Engineering as Mechanical Engineering is to Aerospace Engineering.

35. Ashutosh Shrivastava on April 6, 2020 at 3:24 pm

We are also taught discrete mathematics in electrical engineering.

36. mehedi hasan on April 6, 2020 at 3:24 pm

Electrical best

37. Abdrakhman Onabek on April 6, 2020 at 3:26 pm

Hi there. Thanks for your videos. I want to work on computer hardware design. What options do i have ? Which engineering do i better choose ?

38. B1Chronixx on April 6, 2020 at 3:26 pm

I want to do EE but can’t you still focus on CpE as an EE student? I’m interested in electronics and computer systems.

39. Kikon on April 6, 2020 at 3:27 pm

this video helped me solidify what i want to major in the most out of the two, thank you!

40. Adalberto Muhuho on April 6, 2020 at 3:28 pm

My computer eng program (built on 29 courses) was including one communication and one applied electromagnetism semester couses as well. According to the programs in my university, I can say that one important category of courses the video is missing is related to Control Systems, which is multidisciplinary and goes for both electrical/electronics and computer eng (with additional emphasis on discrete time/uProcessor/DSP baded control in computer eng. classes)

41. AROWAY Plays on April 6, 2020 at 3:30 pm

well you have to study electrical engineering to study computer engineering

42. Anwon Dells on April 6, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Which is better?

43. Caleb Begly on April 6, 2020 at 3:31 pm

Overall a pretty good video. I would say it definitely depends on the college though because at many schools they are the same degree and differ in only a couple elective courses (and you can even take "both" the EE and CpE electives). At my school CpE included all the same courses as EE except second semester emag was optional for CpE students, and then also included the full CS lineup, and an upper division digital design course. So it was basically a dual major CS and EE with just emag and the computer science capstone removed (which of course was replaced with senior design).

For most of my cohort, the choice between EE and CpE was that CpE made you generally more flexible and employable, but some people didn’t like programming, so they took EE which only requires the intro programming classes and one assembly course. Jokes on them though because pretty much all jobs in that field require some amount of programming.

44. Nidhin Benny on April 6, 2020 at 3:32 pm

This might change depending on country, but here in Australia we don’t really have computer engineering specialisations. They are kind of blended together to form electrical and computer systems engineering. We take the computer architecture and the computer networks classes on top of the other classes that were mentioned (in analog, RF, electromag etc). We do also get introduced to the basic physics of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics etc. The only thing mentioned in the computer engineering list that we don’t do is learn Java or Python (although many of us complete final year projects in neural networks which often use Python frameworks like Tensorflow, so we kinda have to teach Python to ourselves). So if you’re going into uni in Australia, take electrical (the best engineering major :P)

45. Natanael Lucena on April 6, 2020 at 3:34 pm

Really nice channel

46. Kai on April 6, 2020 at 3:34 pm

In Germany these two are combined

47. Daniel Maluenda on April 6, 2020 at 3:35 pm

You do a really great job in these comparisons. Not only do you state the differences, you dive into examples (for example, even though I don’t understand the math, you genuinely demonstrated the kind of math you’d see in both, and all the projects with pictures. Oh man GREAT video for sure, it helped me realize computer engineering is more for me).

48. The Goddess Geek on April 6, 2020 at 3:36 pm

All the subjects that he said that electrical engineer has, we have all that in computer engineering and other subjects that computer science have. I think computer engineering will make you choose more different field of careers after you graduate.. And correction!! computer engineers also have all the difficult mathematics subjects that an electrical engineering have. as he mentioned above. In short, Electrical engineering only focuses on hardware while Computer Engineering focuses on both Software and Hardware. That’s what I see based on my experience and observation.

49. bedo eleyjian on April 6, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Thanks dude you helped me decide.

50. UkuleleLover117 on April 6, 2020 at 3:38 pm

My school makes us computer engineers also take electromagnetism😭