ADG Filler #11 – Gemini's Gaming Consoles

ADG Filler #11 – Gemini's Gaming Consoles

Video Originally Released: December 17th, 2011

——————————————

Although my collection of gaming stuff isn’t super-impressive, I have what I like to call a “Functional Collection” in that everything I own works and is stuff I enjoy, as I don’t like to collect things I don’t really have any interest in, or have only a limited interest in. This is a part of what’s led to me having tons of different gaming systems, yet only a small to medium number of games for each. :B

——————————————

Additional Information and Corrections:

* After doing some research it turns out Final Fantasy III (SNES) is probably the SECOND-most valuable game I own. Much to my surprise and delight, Bubble Bobble Part 2 for the NES trumps it several times over! :O

* I only know the rough numbers of the amount of games I have because it’s hard to memorize all of the gaming lists I have. Even with the Dreamcast despite how few games I have for it. 😛

* Actually, one complaint I have about the PS2 (and most Sega consoles) is that their controllers can randomly stop working forever. I have had 3 Genesis, 1 SMS, 1 Saturn, and 2 PS2 controllers, all COMPLETELY stop working, buttons, d-pad, analog, everything, for reasons unknown. I’m told controllers wear out but as it stands, number of Nintendo-made controllers I’ve had stop working: ZERO

* Speaking of dead controllers, I’ve actually been learning a bit about electronics as a result of my more recent interest in pinball… I might try fixing my old controllers later on once I’m able to get all of my console gaming stuff out of storage. 😮

* For those of you who don’t understand why my Gamecube is boxed up, the Wii has virtually PERFECT backwards compatibility with the Gamecube… but then, you already knew that, right? 😉

* Truth be told, there are a handful of games for both the PS3 and 360 that I can’t get on the PC that I wouldn’t mind having, but I’m not about to spend hundreds of dollars just to play 3 or 4 games. Same goes for the PS4, the XB1… though I wouldn’t mind having a Wii U…

——————————————

Pixelmusement Website: http://www.pixelships.com

ADG on Pixelmusement: http://www.pixelships.com/adg

Alphabetical Index of ADG Episodes: http://www.pixelships.com/adg/index2.html

1. Logan Jorgensen on April 21, 2020 at 3:22 pm

I hear you about the Master System, good 8-bit hardware but the games are either very good or very bad with not much in the middle.

2. SilkySkyKitten on April 21, 2020 at 3:40 pm

Funny you keep saying that it’s hard to collect for Sega systems and all the best games are overly expensive compared to Nintendo systems in this video. Because these days (outside of the Saturn) I’d argue it’s the opposite. Nintendo games are ridiculously priced yet great Sega games are pretty easy to come by and relatively cheap in comparison. At least around where I live.

What a difference 4 years makes, eh?

3. Grim Dark End on April 21, 2020 at 3:41 pm

I still keep an old-school 42"ish round-face CRT around for one reason: Light gun games absolutely require it, and I have a dreamcast light gun, and LOVE playing games like Time Crisis. Otherwise I avoid running it at all because they are TERRIBLE on power consumption compared to modern LED LCD’s. In fact, my mom had one of the first CRT HD TV’s and that thing was almost like running a weak microwave wattage-wise.

4. JacobTHESitton on April 21, 2020 at 3:43 pm

We both have the same Toshiba VCR! 😛

5. Grim Dark End on April 21, 2020 at 3:58 pm

Growing up some kids had a genesis, some had the snes… We had a Turbo Graphics 16 😀

6. Grim Dark End on April 21, 2020 at 4:07 pm

My ex-roommate and myself have done console repairs for many years now, and a side-effect of that (and trolling around flea markets) is that we ended up with WAY too many consoles at one point. We had so many at the house I was living at before that we basically set up a museum of gaming on the first floor’s living room.

7. Vayr0n on April 21, 2020 at 4:08 pm

I have seen a French video stating that some plastic is yellowing because it has some anti-fire treatement to it, you can make it white again with a chimical mixture of some sort.
    Here is the link just in case you’re interested Retro Bright – déjaunir ses consoles / Super Nintendo…

8. cabrita309 on April 21, 2020 at 4:13 pm

Instead of just having the camera stay on each system while you talked about it, it would have been really nice if you threw in some b roll of the games you mentioned from each console.

It does however take much more time so I get it. Looking forward to seeing the other videos about your collections.

9. Doug Patton on April 21, 2020 at 4:14 pm

Clean out that PS2! That vent on front is filthy!